Author Topic: Kyrie done for rest of Season and Playoffs; needs second surgery  (Read 14780 times)

Re: Kyrie done for rest of Season and Playoffs
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 03:29:13 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
My guess is he comes back around Christmas. Can’t see him being rushed nor being in basketball shape.

Opening night lineup?

ROZIER
BROWN
HAYWARD
TATUM
AL

BENCH
MORRIS
THEIS
SMART
2017 Draft pick
SEMI
??
i am not sure how you see a christmas return when the prognosis is 4 to 5 months. let me get my calendar out.... ah... 4 to 5 months from now is july to august. then he gets back in shape during september and october.

i think he has a good shot at starting the season on the team.

I understand that they are saying a September return. I personally think it will be longer as they ease him back into things.

Based on what, though?
General pesimissism

Naw...I am hopeful come opening night we finally see this team healthy and complete. Just won't be surprised if Kyrie takes longer to get back.

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2018, 03:30:20 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
So how do we feel about trading BKN 2018 for Kyrie Irving because of Isaiah Thomas's injury concerns?

That still has to be TBD until you see what actually happens with it.

I'm still fine with the trade.  The ceiling for this team is higher now that it was pre-trade.  Kyrie's injury is just an unfortunate event.

If Brooklyn wins the lottery somehow it will suck. But that is kind just extreme luck and you never want to make a trade based on the fact that with extreme luck you could win, but otherwise you lose it massively. Someone could have conceivably calculated at the beginning of the season that once the lottery rules were reformed and the Bulls and Hawks traded away/los their player that there was going to be a ton of tanking. It still seems most likely the Nets pick will end up 8th in the lottery. It is currently tied for 7th but they will have 2 games against a Bulls team that has taken to sitting even its good young players (Lavine, Dunn, Holiday plus Lopez as a vet and play a Celtics team in the season finale that will rest every single vet.

Given the sideshow that Thomas was this year, you are saying you wouldn't trade a 7th or 8th pick and a third string center for Irving? That would be nuts.

Kyrie extending is the other hesitation I had at the time & still have.

However, I think the odds of both hitting (BKN pick landing transcending talent & Kyrie walking) are still relatively low.  Either together happening or one individually.

Can you imagine the uproar on here if the Cavs landed the first pick! It would be epic  ;D NBA lottery rigged again....

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2018, 03:43:46 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
So how do we feel about trading BKN 2018 for Kyrie Irving because of Isaiah Thomas's injury concerns?

I'm still fine with the trade.  The ceiling for this team is higher now that it was pre-trade.  Kyrie's injury is just an unfortunate event.

If Brooklyn wins the lottery somehow it will suck. But that is kind just extreme luck and you never want to make a trade based on the fact that with extreme luck you could win, but otherwise you lose it massively. Someone could have conceivably calculated at the beginning of the season that once the lottery rules were reformed and the Bulls and Hawks traded away/los their player that there was going to be a ton of tanking. It still seems most likely the Nets pick will end up 8th in the lottery. It is currently tied for 7th but they will have 2 games against a Bulls team that has taken to sitting even its good young players (Lavine, Dunn, Holiday plus Lopez as a vet and play a Celtics team in the season finale that will rest every single vet.

Given the sideshow that Thomas was this year, you are saying you wouldn't trade a 7th or 8th pick and a third string center for Irving? That would be nuts.

However, I think the odds of both hitting (BKN pick landing transcending talent & Kyrie walking) are still relatively low.  Either together happening or one individually.

Can you imagine the uproar on here if the Cavs landed the first pick! It would be epic  ;D NBA lottery rigged again....

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they got the No. 1 pick.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
THIS is why we have to keep Rozzay and possible Smart.

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2018, 03:58:14 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

And then they'd flip it for AD to really make people on here really come unglued.   

Then in 2019, the Kings pick would land #1 so we'd end up with the Sixers pick in the mid 20s.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:25:51 PM by tazzmaniac »

Re: Kyrie done for rest of Season and Playoffs; needs second surgery
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2018, 04:33:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
So according to my hand surgeon (who has operated on Nick Chubb, and our own Malcolm Mitchell), in a small proportion of patients (like 5%), metal hardware can cause irritation.  Usually it's benign, but it can lead to tendon rupture.  So they remove it 6 months - 1 year after surgery.

He's been playing with this for how many years?  It seems highly unlikely to me that he was at risk of tendon rupture -- that probably would've already happened.  So it's likely he chose to get surgery now because of irritation (e.g., it felt uncomfy) to ... protect himself from the small likelihood of something more serious?  Okay.  Good for you.  I assume if Hayward was healthy, he'd be playing now.  Like IT did.  Stinks, but expected -- gotta protect the brand.  His father has a lot to do with his decisions... I've read he was central to Kyrie's trade demand.

So the questionable surgery results in what's most likely a staph infection.  This just happened to me.  It's brutal.  But they caught it quickly, and the bone was already well-healed, so not a big deal.  He'll take an antibiotic.  They'll remove the screws.  He'll watch the playoffs.  But... should he have gotten the initial surgery? Literature shows a very small risk of serious damage.  Sure seems like a case of a player putting himself before the team.  Was it a good decision? Yeah, probably...  especially playing for Ainge.  But it's also unfortunate.  I miss IT... and if the roles were reversed, we'd be making a deep playoff run again.  Bird and McHale played through injury until their wheels fell off.  I miss that era.  Welcome to the modern NBA. 

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2018, 04:39:47 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
So according to my hand surgeon (who has operated on Nick Chubb, and our own Malcolm Mitchell), in a small proportion of patients (like 5%), metal hardware can cause irritation.  Usually it's benign, but it can lead to tendon rupture.  So they remove it 6 months - 1 year after surgery.

He's been playing with this for how many years?  It seems highly unlikely to me that he was at risk of tendon rupture -- that probably would've already happened.  So it's likely he chose to get surgery now because of irritation (e.g., it felt uncomfy) to ... protect himself from the small likelihood of something more serious?  Okay.  Good for you.  I assume if Hayward was healthy, he'd be playing now.  Like IT did.  Stinks, but expected -- gotta protect the brand.  His father has a lot to do with his decisions... I've read he was central to Kyrie's trade demand.

So the questionable surgery results in what's most likely a staph infection.  This just happened to me.  It's brutal.  But they caught it quickly, and the bone was already well-healed, so not a big deal.  He'll take an antibiotic.  They'll remove the screws.  He'll watch the playoffs.  But... should he have gotten the initial surgery? Literature shows a very small risk of serious damage.  Sure seems like a case of a player putting himself before the team.  Was it a good decision? Yeah, probably...  especially playing for Ainge.  But it's also unfortunate.  I miss IT... and if the roles were reversed, we'd be making a deep playoff run again.  Bird and McHale played through injury until their wheels fell off.  I miss that era.  Welcome to the modern NBA.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this type of surgery.

I'm glad he's making a good decision. IT made a bad decision IMO. Kyrie is looking at a max deal in 2019 and no way you put that in jeopardy. If the knee is healed and it's mainly an infection then I expect him to be healed and explosive as ever.

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Thanks for sharing your experience with this type of surgery.

I'm glad he's making a good decision. IT made a bad decision IMO. Kyrie is looking at a max deal in 2019 and no way you put that in jeopardy. If the knee is healed and it's mainly an infection then I expect him to be healed and explosive as ever.

Yeah, Bird and McHale would have likely played 3-4 more good seasons and won another ring or two if they had not caused permanent damage to themselves by playing through serious injuries.

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2018, 05:15:37 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I will reiterate that Danny Ainge is getting WAY too much of a pass for trading for a guy with a pretty serious, and known, knee problem.

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Right now it looks a wash at best.  I am not very happy about this.

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2018, 05:20:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I will reiterate that Danny Ainge is getting WAY too much of a pass for trading for a guy with a pretty serious, and known, knee problem.

Jury is out on that assessment. Kyrie played great for 60 games. If he never matches that level of performance in future you will be right. If he does, it will go down as a solid trade. Of course unless Cavs get lucky with BKN pick.

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

Will be right back, just need to check on current status of the sky!

« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not sure if the official press release was issued:

This Saturday, Celtics guard Kyrie Irving will undergo a procedure to remove two screws implanted in his left patella after the patellar fracture he suffered during the NBA Finals in 2015. Following a mid-March procedure to remove a tension wire that had been implanted at the same time as the screws, pathology indicated the presence of a bacterial infection at the site of the hardware. To ensure that no infection remains in the knee, the screws will be removed. The fracture in Irving’s patella has completely healed, and his knee remains structurally sound. He is expected to make a full recovery in 4-5 months.

So, those earlier reports of “trade me or I’ll get season-ending surgery” may have been accurate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joevardon/status/956617696371793920?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I had no idea this was a 5-month recovery.  However, if Cleveland reporters knew, you’ve got to assume that Danny did, too. I’m surprised we couldn’t use that info to get a little more leverage.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2018, 05:34:29 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Just glad he's going to just get it over with instead of continuing to put it off. This season will be all about the growth of the youngins. Everything is gravy in the playoffs now. I'm not sad.

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2018, 05:45:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Brutal.  A disappointing way for this season to end.  I was looking forward to what this team could do, albeit sans Hayward.

Still, with Theis already out for the year and Smart probably done as well, it makes sense to play it safe with Kyrie.  They made the mistake last season of letting their star guard push through injury to play in the postseason, and look how that worked out for the player.

We'll still get to see Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Horford play a lot of minutes in the playoffs, which should be entertaining, even if they struggle to make it out of Round 1.

Next year: Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford.

I don't care who's coming off the bench; that's a team to be excited about, as long as those 5 guys are healthy.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain