Author Topic: Kyrie done for rest of Season and Playoffs; needs second surgery  (Read 14683 times)

Re: Kyrie done for rest of Season and Playoffs
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2018, 02:36:10 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
My guess is he comes back around Christmas. Can’t see him being rushed nor being in basketball shape.

Opening night lineup?

ROZIER
BROWN
HAYWARD
TATUM
AL

BENCH
MORRIS
THEIS
SMART
2017 Draft pick
SEMI
??
i am not sure how you see a christmas return when the prognosis is 4 to 5 months. let me get my calendar out.... ah... 4 to 5 months from now is july to august. then he gets back in shape during september and october.

i think he has a good shot at starting the season on the team.

I understand that they are saying a September return. I personally think it will be longer as they ease him back into things.

Based on what, though?

Just them wanting to make sure he is fully healthy.  wouldn’t  surprise me if it take a bit longer to heal. I just won’t be surprised if he is not ready opening night

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2018, 02:36:44 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
This is part of the problem with having a guy under 6' 5" as your best player.

Smaller guys tend to get injured more.

Lebron? Not so much.

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Get Irving & Hayward healthy..sign Smart & Monroe...Team be best team in East next seeson
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
So they removed the wire thinking that it was causing irritation. But now they think that there's an infection where the screws are. Is this infection the original cause of the knee pain? Or something that came up as a result of surgery?

Sounds like the removing of the tension wires was the minor surgery to relieve pain. And that he would need the bigger surgery of removing the screws altogether (a bigger surgery with longer recovery) at some point down the road.

After removing the tension wire, they noticed a bacterial infection in the hardware and are now removing it, therefore forcing the more invasive surgery now instead of sometime in the next few summers.

So, hopefully what that means is he’s having surgery that was inevitable now and put all the knee issues to rest.

It’s unfortunate only because I think the East was ripe for the taking and if GSW isn’t 100% could lose to some team out west. I’m not worried about Houston tbh and Toronto doesn’t scare me at all. LeBron is the most worrisome but with our squad I think we would’ve dispatched him.

Who knows who will end up where next season, for other teams but especially ours.

We, in all likelihood, never got to see what this team could do.

Irving/Rozier/Brown/Smart/Hayward/Morris/Tatum/Theis/Horford/Baynes never played a single game together, and they may have been good enough to win a championship. I’d be surprised if we see those 10 all on the roster next season, but we will see.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2018, 02:42:15 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So they removed the wire thinking that it was causing irritation. But now they think that there's an infection where the screws are. Is this infection the original cause of the knee pain? Or something that came up as a result of surgery?

Sounds like the removing of the tension wires was the minor surgery to relieve pain. And that he would need the bigger surgery of removing the screws altogether (a bigger surgery with longer recovery) at some point down the road.

After removing the tension wire, they noticed a bacterial infection in the hardware and are now removing it, therefore forcing the more invasive surgery now instead of sometime in the next few summers.

So, hopefully what that means is he’s having surgery that was inevitable now and put all the knee issues to rest.

It’s unfortunate only because I think the East was ripe for the taking and if GSW isn’t 100% could lose to some team out west. I’m not worried about Houston tbh and Toronto doesn’t scare me at all. LeBron is the most worrisome but with our squad I think we would’ve dispatched him.

Who knows who will end up where next season, for other teams but especially ours.

We, in all likelihood, never got to see what this team could do.

Irving/Rozier/Brown/Smart/Hayward/Morris/Tatum/Theis/Horford/Baynes never played a single game together, and they may have been good enough to win a championship. I’d be surprised if we see those 10 all on the roster next season, but we will see.

I was thinking Game 1 but I forgot Morris was suspended at the time. And ya should've included Monroe in that list lol!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2018, 02:45:35 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Well it sounds like the surgeon messed up something, [dang] you!

But hope it's a silver lining to remove the remain concern in his knee(screws).

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
This is part of the problem with having a guy under 6' 5" as your best player.

Smaller guys tend to get injured more.

Lebron? Not so much.
Yao Ming, Grant Hill, Brandon Roy, Greg Oden among others disagree.  Injuries happen to players of all sizes, LBJ is a physical anomaly, much like Cal Ripken. Some players styles lead to injuries, like IT, others its genetics, and others its just bad luck, like PG and GH.

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My guess is he comes back around Christmas. Can’t see him being rushed nor being in basketball shape.

Opening night lineup?

ROZIER
BROWN
HAYWARD
TATUM
AL

BENCH
MORRIS
THEIS
SMART
2017 Draft pick
SEMI
??
i am not sure how you see a christmas return when the prognosis is 4 to 5 months. let me get my calendar out.... ah... 4 to 5 months from now is july to august. then he gets back in shape during september and october.

i think he has a good shot at starting the season on the team.

I understand that they are saying a September return. I personally think it will be longer as they ease him back into things.

Based on what, though?
General pesimissism

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2018, 02:58:20 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Well, that's a bit of a gut punch.

But the good news is the doctors are maintaining the knee is structurally fine. Stupid bacterial infections.

Yeah, some people are overreacting or not appreciating this fact. This is not a acl surgery or anything, he won’t lose athleticism or be out until December, he will be fine. It just sucks for this years playoffs

But doomsday posts are just so much more fun...

It's like people hear the word "surgery" and automatically assume the worst without even bothering to read the actual report.

What's worse, though? Assuming the worst, or assuming that everyone will finally be healthy next season? Because lots of people around here are subscribing to the latter option, and I just don't see how that's a reasonable assumption.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
So how do we feel about trading BKN 2018 for Kyrie Irving because of Isaiah Thomas's injury concerns?

That still has to be TBD until you see what actually happens with it.

I'm still fine with the trade.  The ceiling for this team is higher now that it was pre-trade.  Kyrie's injury is just an unfortunate event.

If Brooklyn wins the lottery somehow it will suck. But that is kind just extreme luck and you never want to make a trade based on the fact that with extreme luck you could win, but otherwise you lose it massively. Someone could have conceivably calculated at the beginning of the season that once the lottery rules were reformed and the Bulls and Hawks traded away/los their player that there was going to be a ton of tanking. It still seems most likely the Nets pick will end up 8th in the lottery. It is currently tied for 7th but they will have 2 games against a Bulls team that has taken to sitting even its good young players (Lavine, Dunn, Holiday plus Lopez as a vet and play a Celtics team in the season finale that will rest every single vet.

Given the sideshow that Thomas was this year, you are saying you wouldn't trade a 7th or 8th pick and a third string center for Irving? That would be nuts.

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Disappointing news all around, but let's face facts...nobody is betting the house that the Celtics were going all the way this year, especially after losing Hayward the first game.

However far they go, and I believe some of their best games are still in front of them this year, it's valuable experience for all our young guys...and Irving comes back hopefully in the best shape possible for many years to come.

Next man up!

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2018, 03:18:21 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Disappointing news all around, but let's face facts...nobody is betting the house that the Celtics were going all the way this year, especially after losing Hayward the first game.

However far they go, and I believe some of their best games are still in front of them this year, it's valuable experience for all our young guys...and Irving comes back hopefully in the best shape possible for many years to come.

Next man up!

I'll be glad when (if) "valuable experience" translates to titles.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
So how do we feel about trading BKN 2018 for Kyrie Irving because of Isaiah Thomas's injury concerns?

That still has to be TBD until you see what actually happens with it.

I'm still fine with the trade.  The ceiling for this team is higher now that it was pre-trade.  Kyrie's injury is just an unfortunate event.

If Brooklyn wins the lottery somehow it will suck. But that is kind just extreme luck and you never want to make a trade based on the fact that with extreme luck you could win, but otherwise you lose it massively. Someone could have conceivably calculated at the beginning of the season that once the lottery rules were reformed and the Bulls and Hawks traded away/los their player that there was going to be a ton of tanking. It still seems most likely the Nets pick will end up 8th in the lottery. It is currently tied for 7th but they will have 2 games against a Bulls team that has taken to sitting even its good young players (Lavine, Dunn, Holiday plus Lopez as a vet and play a Celtics team in the season finale that will rest every single vet.

Given the sideshow that Thomas was this year, you are saying you wouldn't trade a 7th or 8th pick and a third string center for Irving? That would be nuts.

Kyrie extending is the other hesitation I had at the time & still have.

However, I think the odds of both hitting (BKN pick landing transcending talent & Kyrie walking) are still relatively low.  Either together happening or one individually.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
We're snakebit this year....
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2018, 03:26:33 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
When focused Terry Rozier is very good. He has size, strength plays good D and the ball movement is good. This negative could turn into a positive.