Author Topic: Kyrie done for rest of Season and Playoffs; needs second surgery  (Read 14686 times)

Re: Kyrie done for rest of Season and Playoffs
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Whatever motivation for Hayward to try and come back for playoffs seems eliminated with this news.

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
So how do we feel about trading BKN 2018 for Kyrie Irving because of Isaiah Thomas's injury concerns?
Supported the trade then. Support it now.

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, that's a bit of a gut punch.

But the good news is the doctors are maintaining the knee is structurally fine. Stupid bacterial infections.

Yeah, some people are overreacting or not appreciating this fact. This is not a acl surgery or anything, he won’t lose athleticism or be out until December, he will be fine. It just sucks for this years playoffs

But doomsday posts are just so much more fun...

It's like people hear the word "surgery" and automatically assume the worst without even bothering to read the actual report.

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
So how do we feel about trading BKN 2018 for Kyrie Irving because of Isaiah Thomas's injury concerns?

That still has to be TBD until you see what actually happens with it.

I'm still fine with the trade.  The ceiling for this team is higher now that it was pre-trade.  Kyrie's injury is just an unfortunate event.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 02:07:21 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
They will be very careful with this.

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:05 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Whatever motivation for Hayward to try and come back for playoffs seems eliminated with this news.

Hayward just started jogging.  I know the dream was fun, but this has been off the table for a while now.

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
So will the knee be better with all the screws out?

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
So they removed the wire thinking that it was causing irritation. But now they think that there's an infection where the screws are. Is this infection the original cause of the knee pain? Or something that came up as a result of surgery?

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
My guess is he comes back around Christmas. Can’t see him being rushed nor being in basketball shape.

Opening night lineup?

ROZIER
BROWN
HAYWARD
TATUM
AL

BENCH
MORRIS
THEIS
SMART
2017 Draft pick
SEMI
??
i am not sure how you see a christmas return when the prognosis is 4 to 5 months. let me get my calendar out.... ah... 4 to 5 months from now is july to august. then he gets back in shape during september and october.

i think he has a good shot at starting the season on the team.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Class Tweet by Kyrie so soon after news released. It says a lot about him.

i still am excited for the playoffs and Rozier and the Young One's. No Wizards please though in first round! :) Bet against our Coach though at your own discretion. 7 Game Series for the first round no doubt.

I would still do the trade now and unless the Cavs get super lucky with the Nets lottery balls, this opinion wont change. My only fear is that the NBA Gods intervene and gift Lebron a first pick so he rethinks his exit from Cleveland.

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2018, 02:22:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
So they removed the wire thinking that it was causing irritation. But now they think that there's an infection where the screws are. Is this infection the original cause of the knee pain? Or something that came up as a result of surgery?

Seems unlikely the infection was there at the time of the previous surgery.  I have to think they would have noticed it then.

My guess is this was a result of the previous surgery to remove the tension wires. It's an unfortunate turn of events.

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2018, 02:22:39 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
absolutely. you have to look at the decision and factors at the time of the trade. lamenting such trades because of injuries makes no sense.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
My guess is he comes back around Christmas. Can’t see him being rushed nor being in basketball shape.

Opening night lineup?

ROZIER
BROWN
HAYWARD
TATUM
AL

BENCH
MORRIS
THEIS
SMART
2017 Draft pick
SEMI
??
i am not sure how you see a christmas return when the prognosis is 4 to 5 months. let me get my calendar out.... ah... 4 to 5 months from now is july to august. then he gets back in shape during september and october.

I understand that they are saying a September return. I personally think it will be longer as they ease him back into things.

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2018, 02:25:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Opening night lineup?

ROZIER
BROWN
HAYWARD
TATUM
AL

BENCH
MORRIS
THEIS
SMART
2017 Draft pick
SEMI
??

I understand that they are saying a September return. I personally think it will be longer as they ease him back into things.

Based on what, though?

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Right now, the pick is only projected at #7. If Hayward were fully healthy and IT was able to put off his surgery, then it might make me pause; however, we are not talking about Ayton, Bagley, or Doncic with the pick (still have to wait until the season plays out - BKN plays Chi, Chi, and Bos in their last 3). Irving is still a far superior asset in Irving than an injured IT and the #7 pick.

Still, if the Spurs were interested in a straight up swap - or almost straight-up swap - of Kawhi for Irving, I would certainly jump at the opportunity. With so much talent on the rest of the roster, I would be perfectly comfortable with Smart, Rozier, and Larkin(?) running the show at PG.