Author Topic: Kyrie done for rest of Season and Playoffs; needs second surgery  (Read 14765 times)

Re: Kyrie done for rest of Season and Playoffs; needs second surgery
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2018, 11:33:42 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
The Celtics and Cavs sold damaged goods to each other.  So I'm not going to say one team was more underhanded than the other.  Disclosures were made right?  Doctors checked both players right?

I'm just glad that this is getting taken care of now and hope that Kyrie can make a full recovery because in his first season with the Celtics he looked like a perfect fit and and Ace trade by DA. 

Turns out there are some medical issues, but here's hoping for a full recovery to both of our all-stars Kyrie and Hayward!!

IT4 may never be the same.. Kyrie there is almost a 100% chance he will return as the same player as before.

We knew that the screws had to be taken out at some point. Danny even stated as much. Kyrie even threatened to have them taken out if the cavs didn't trade him. The only concern is that there was an infection in the knee.

but I have 100% confidence both Kyrie/Hayward will return next year and be themselves.

« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, at least for now the surgery to remove the screws from Kyrie's knee seems to have went well.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23067640/kyrie-irving-boston-celtics-second-surgery-expected-ready-2018-19

"The surgery went exactly as planned, and we expect Kyrie to be fully healthy for training camp in the fall," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a statement.

I really hope I don't have to change my username to "Kyrie's Knee".....

« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2018, 01:40:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not understanding the sky us falling mentality about the future health of our 2 young stars. Paul George hand a similar injury to Hayward and came back as good as before the injury. Kyrie is just 25 and the docs have said the knee is structurally fine and will be ready to go before training camp. When Durant had foot problems he had screws in his foot that caused irritation. They had to go in and do some extra surgery and he returned to stardom.

Don't see why Hayward and Kyrie can't return to greatness like George and Durant did.

« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2018, 04:55:58 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Should we be worried?

Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Should we be worried?

I think the glass-half-full take is that they discovered the infection around the screws only because they were in there to remove the tension wire. Maybe they caught it an an earlier stage than otherwise.

« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2018, 05:20:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Should we be worried?

i am not sure why i should believe this guy over a crew of medical experts.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2018, 06:27:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Found a good article
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:36:17 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I wonder if they had to drill into the knee bone more to get rid of the infection...hence the 5 month recovery   
they are subject to infection, which is a risk anytime you drill a hole into bone. And that’s what has happened to Irving, the reason he won’t be back in the postseason. It’s not the pain of the tension wire or the health of the kneecap that is keeping him out — it’s the infection around the screws.

“That’s definitely a concern,” Dr. Ochiai said. “We don’t know everything obviously, but when you have an infection with hardware, that has the potential to cede the bone. So the infection goes to the bone, which is called osteomyelitis. That can be really difficult to treat.”

If the screws got infected because bacteria entered the picture after some contact Irving suffered in a game in the last few months, it can be treated fairly easily. The infection will be local, around the screws.

If the infection has been a slow-moving one that first appeared back when the screws were inserted into Irving’s knee — and likely to be osteomyelitis — then there is the potential for a much bigger problem.

But that is a longshot. Most likely, Irving aggravated the problem with some physical contact, and he will just come out of all this with screws and wires removed from his knee. Then he will just hope that his kneecap is intact and not subject to further injury.

“Best-case scenario, there is no osteomyelitis, no bone infection, no bacteria, and they’re taking the screws out as a precaution,” Dr. Ochiai said. “Once he heals up and the screws are out, he’s fine. That’s best-case.

But if there is an infection, you really should jump on that. Somebody who has had it for years, you’re looking at six weeks of IV antibiotics... and possibly other debris treatments where you have to clean out the bone more. You have to make those holes bigger to try to treat the infection. But you have to hope, he gets the hardware removed, and he is OK from there.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/kyrie-irving-injury-update-knee-boston-celtics-news-nba-playoffs-finals-2015-cavs/n07pxqmg0dv31h63v6gq3clmb

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:41:19 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Should we be worried?

You shouldn't. But I hope Kyrie does call and hear from someone who went through something similar. Could be helpful. There's no harm in asking your doctors as many questions as come into your head.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Should we be worried?

He didn't say anything at all so there isn't anything to believe.  He basically just said ask a bunch of questions and make sure your doctors check all the angles.  Seems like pretty sound advice to me.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2018, 06:03:54 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
400,201 deaths per year are due to medical error. We all need to question everything a doctor tells us or ask us to take. My thumb is not right because of a doctor being wrong.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek