Author Topic: Monroe+Morris 38 pts off bench tonight. Is Monroe making a case to keep next Yr  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I feel Monroe is gone he has proven he can play in a space system and provide decent defense. That is $11-15 million per we cant afford that. Morris must be kept and not dealt unless it's in a Davis/Leonard package.

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I had to rub my eyes... but Monroe notched a triple double last night against the Bulls, 19 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists.

If we ever make a mega deal for Anthony Davis, with Horford outgoing to make money work, we could still use Monroe as our passing big man.  Oh yeah and he gets buckets and boards too.

Celtics have some hard decisions to make on who to keep and how far they are willing to go over the luxury tax in the interests of fielding a contender.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:52:56 PM by vjcsmoke »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I feel Monroe is gone he has proven he can play in a space system and provide decent defense. That is $11-15 million per we cant afford that. Morris must be kept and not dealt unless it's in a Davis/Leonard package.

I think it'll be in Monroe's hands. Because of the way he signed, my understanding is the C's are kind of handcuffed in what they can offer him. But the questions will be, how much does Monroe like playing for the Celtics, and what kind of money will be out there for a center who doesn't shoot 3's and has a reputation as a poor defender?

What I've been reading is the market for centers is expected to be cold this summer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Tonight’s game was a garbage scrimmage. I don’t take anything away from it. No defense. Monroe’s triple double should have an asterisk.

He’s turnover prone, poor in defensive rotations. We need an athletic shot blocker who can hit 3’s.

All of this. Moose does some nice things that are highly visible - the rebounds and putbacks, the back-to-the-basket throwback moves. But he's got some serious limitations. In addition to the above, dude is s-l-o-w. If I had to choose, I'd rather have Baynes or Theis, and I think we do have to choose.

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'd like Monroe back, but as others have said, it depends on what the Celtics want this summer. I think they'll choose between Monroe and Baynes because with Hayward coming back, there's no need to keep both. It's a shame because I think both Baynes and Moose have loved their time here.

If they want an all-around menace in the post with great rebounding, passing, and scoring abilities, they'll re-sign Moose. If they want to have the same killer defense both on the perimeter and in the post, they'll re-sign Baynes.

Something that has caught my eye is that Brad has played Monroe in crunchtime minutes rather than Baynes. Time will tell whether or not that means anything. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Danny first goes for a big who brings the best of both worlds aka Derrick Favors or perhaps a floor-stretcher like Brook Lopez.

Remember, Danny ALWAYS goes for the gold. He's gone way out of his league in his efforts to lure free agents in the past. Remember when he tried to lure Corey Maggette after the '08 title? Or when he had David West formally agree to sign with the Celtics in 2011? Nobody thought those guys were targets. Danny always goes for the best option no matter how unrealistic it may appear on paper.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
no money

at this rate he is making a case to receive a nice final contact of his career

something like 3 or 4 years at about 10-11 million per season

LOL dude he is 27 not 37

He also has an injury history

And moves like a man with two bad knees

Doubt he will last past 31 32
Just admit you made a mistake instead of making stuff up. This is Monroe's 8th season. In 5 of those seasons he played 79 or more games. In the other two 66 and 69 games. He played in only 48 games this year because of a small injury and due to being traded twice and sitting games as he got acclimated to the teams.

Monroe does not have an injury history and has moved the same since he has been in the league. He is no slower today than he was 5-7 years ago.

Honestly he may be quicker.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
no money

at this rate he is making a case to receive a nice final contact of his career

something like 3 or 4 years at about 10-11 million per season

LOL dude he is 27 not 37

He also has an injury history

And moves like a man with two bad knees

Doubt he will last past 31 32

I wish I could wager on things like this.

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
We only had Baynes and Monroe (traditional big men who can rebound) for one year but I liked having real centers for the first time since Perk. You don't need 4 guys but just having one is nice.

That being said I wouldn't overpay for either of those guys next year.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
why would Smart take under 10 million per?  thats what prob Danny offered him earlier this season, and he and his agent rejected it

I'm going to assume that if Noel were re-offered the $70M/4yr contract he was offered before the season, then he would probably accept. Frankly, he might accept half of that.

Player value changes and so do market conditions. On the other side of things, the players who all accepted max contracts before the cap spike probably didn't really believe that much money would be out there - I imagine they would all go back and sign one year contracts.

I am hopeful we can keep Smart and Monroe while remaining below the luxury tax. That has to be first and foremost in Danny's mind. If we can somehow keep Baynes, too, then wonderful.

Baynes will probably be gone, which I'm OK with. I'd rather bring back Moose than Smart tbh. Rosier can take those mins fine..