Author Topic: Monroe+Morris 38 pts off bench tonight. Is Monroe making a case to keep next Yr  (Read 3885 times)

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Monroe is just showing everyone that he is who he was supposed to be. My belief is longer he’s with Cs better he’ll be. Nearly three seasons lost to poor utilization, I bet we’re seeing at least one significant mark from ‘peak monroe’.

But I bet we don’t resign him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Tonight’s game was a garbage scrimmage. I don’t take anything away from it. No defense. Monroe’s triple double should have an asterisk.

He’s turnover prone, poor in defensive rotations. We need an athletic shot blocker who can hit 3’s.

Daniel Theis?

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Celtics have the following on guaranteed contracts next year:

Hayward
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Irving
Rozier
Morris
Theis
Yabusele
Ojeleye
Nader

That's 11 players. Probably going to add one rookie, that's 12. There is the ability to resign Smart at a good rate, say under $10 million per. That leaves getting a big man with the MLE. Monroe would be perfect at that pay level.

why would Smart take under 10 million per?  thats what prob Danny offered him earlier this season, and he and his agent rejected it

My guess is he'll get something like the MLE, if  for no other reason than there arent alot of cap space teams and those teams tend to be looking to spend their money are guys with a higher upside than good sixth man. He fits better on an already pretty good team, those teams dont usually have more than the MLE.

As for Monroe, yeah, why not. He wont cost as much as some peope think because the center market is pretty saturated right now, MLE could probably do it.

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Moose has made millions in his career.. If money is not a factor and winning a championship is then im pretty sure he wouldn't mind staying since he is enjoying Brad's system and best chance to get a ring with Hayward and Irving back.

Im torn between him and Baynes though as I also like Baynes's toughness.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Yes, because he's an incredible tool for  the 2nd unit. Cs haven't had an interior scorer like him in a long time. He'll eat 2nd units up next season. They could possibly have a bench unit of Rozier, Smart, Morris, Theis, and Morris.

I think he's worth around the MLE.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
no money

at this rate he is making a case to receive a nice final contact of his career

something like 3 or 4 years at about 10-11 million per season

LOL dude he is 27 not 37

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
no money

LOL dude he is 27 not 37
Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. He’s in his athletic prime and this season is the first time he’ll play less than 66 games in a season. Not like he’s going to retire anytime soon
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
My guess is that the front office will have to decide between Moose and Baynes since the most we could offer each would be the mid level exception. I’d choose Baynes since by next year, the Celtics will have plenty of scoring.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tonight’s game was a garbage scrimmage. I don’t take anything away from it. No defense. Monroe’s triple double should have an asterisk.

He’s turnover prone, poor in defensive rotations. We need an athletic shot blocker who can hit 3’s.

Daniel Theis?

In addition to Theis.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
My guess is that the front office will have to decide between Moose and Baynes since the most we could offer each would be the mid level exception. I’d choose Baynes since by next year, the Celtics will have plenty of scoring.

I agree.

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Gotta assume Monroe will command more than the Celtics will spend,  but you can never have too much scoring.  Love to have him back.  It's a very long regular season and you gotta spread out the workload.

Glad to see win #54, putting the Celts above last year's magical run ... despite all the injuries with 3 games left. So happy we have a great coach and smart people at the top!!

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Celtics have the following on guaranteed contracts next year:

Hayward
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Irving
Rozier
Morris
Theis
Yabusele
Ojeleye
Nader

That's 11 players. Probably going to add one rookie, that's 12. There is the ability to resign Smart at a good rate, say under $10 million per. That leaves getting a big man with the MLE. Monroe would be perfect at that pay level.

why would Smart take under 10 million per?  thats what prob Danny offered him earlier this season, and he and his agent rejected it

Due to his self-imposed injury due to his temper tantrum.  Plain and simple.  That, and the second injury AND the fact that he really is not shooting much better.

Smitty77

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
no money

LOL dude he is 27 not 37

He also has an injury history

And moves like a man with two bad knees

Doubt he will last past 31 32

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'm going to assume that if Noel were re-offered the $70M/4yr contract he was offered before the season, then he would probably accept. Frankly, he might accept half of that.

Player value changes and so do market conditions. On the other side of things, the players who all accepted max contracts before the cap spike probably didn't really believe that much money would be out there - I imagine they would all go back and sign one year contracts.

I am hopeful we can keep Smart and Monroe while remaining below the luxury tax. That has to be first and foremost in Danny's mind. If we can somehow keep Baynes, too, then wonderful.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
no money

LOL dude he is 27 not 37

He also has an injury history

And moves like a man with two bad knees

Doubt he will last past 31 32
Just admit you made a mistake instead of making stuff up. This is Monroe's 8th season. In 5 of those seasons he played 79 or more games. In the other two 66 and 69 games. He played in only 48 games this year because of a small injury and due to being traded twice and sitting games as he got acclimated to the teams.

Monroe does not have an injury history and has moved the same since he has been in the league. He is no slower today than he was 5-7 years ago.