Author Topic: Monroe+Morris 38 pts off bench tonight. Is Monroe making a case to keep next Yr  (Read 3889 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
 is it possible he stays or will he be too expensive to keep

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
We are missing our 2 lead violins and therefore we are missing scoring talent ATM.
His scoring is handy now, but I don't find him necessary next year.

Next year our center rotation will be something like:
- Horford - heavy minutes on center
- some bigger defensive 5 - a la Baynes, maybe as a ceremonial starter, defensive bruiser and an anchor
- Theis - small ball energy big - that defends and provides roll and even an eventual pop

Center is a defensive positon after all and he is cooked there. Do we really need to spend salary for the position that is easiest to fill at the bench, use a roster spot there for a guy without upside?

I don't believe so.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:18:35 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Yes, I believe we need Monroe and hope we keep him.  I can't believe I was able to post! I usually have problems and give up.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He has value, like an off-speed pitch in baseball.

For the right price, I'll say yes. He's such a poster boy for skills that are polar opposites. He scores, passes, and rebounds well, but can't defend or protect the rim. In the second unit overall, I think he's positive.

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
From what I understand the maximum that we can offer him due to the way we signed him is going to be a severe underpay for Monroe. Unless he doesn't value money, we won't be able to keep him.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
no money

at this rate he is making a case to receive a nice final contact of his career

something like 3 or 4 years at about 10-11 million per season

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
We are missing our 2 lead violins and therefore we are missing scoring talent ATM.
His scoring is handy now, but I don't find him necessary next year.

Next year our center rotation will be something like:
- Horford - heavy minutes on center
- some bigger defensive 5 - a la Baynes, maybe as a ceremonial starter, defensive bruiser and an anchor
- Theis - small ball energy big - that defends and provides roll and even an eventual pop

Center is a defensive positon after all and he is cooked there. Do we really need to spend salary for the position that is easiest to fill at the bench, use a roster spot there for a guy without upside?

I don't believe so.

He actually has been good for us defensively, not as good as like Baynes but solid enough. Brad wouldn't be playing him these mins if his defense was as bad as everyone here makes it out to be.

I think Monroe will be back next year. Baynes will probably be let go. He's just too limited offensively. Horford has degraded offensively to the point where he essentially a 3pt chucker on offense. Monroe is our only hope of getting any interior offense to speak of, and that is hugely valuable to this squad seeing as the rest of the team are exclusively jump shooters.

Theis was never that great of a shooter and who knows how his knee will recover..

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He has value, like an off-speed pitch in baseball.
More like left-handed relievers. They might be below average, but will likely get a job because everyone needs a couple and there are few(er) of them. Same thing with bigs in the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Monroe has triple double tonight

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
No. No money

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I hope Danny offers him at least an MLE next season.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Monroe has triple double tonight

Reminds me of Ice Cube
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Celtics have the following on guaranteed contracts next year:

Hayward
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Irving
Rozier
Morris
Theis
Yabusele
Ojeleye
Nader

That's 11 players. Probably going to add one rookie, that's 12. There is the ability to resign Smart at a good rate, say under $10 million per. That leaves getting a big man with the MLE. Monroe would be perfect at that pay level.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Celtics have the following on guaranteed contracts next year:

Hayward
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Irving
Rozier
Morris
Theis
Yabusele
Ojeleye
Nader

That's 11 players. Probably going to add one rookie, that's 12. There is the ability to resign Smart at a good rate, say under $10 million per. That leaves getting a big man with the MLE. Monroe would be perfect at that pay level.

why would Smart take under 10 million per?  thats what prob Danny offered him earlier this season, and he and his agent rejected it

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tonight’s game was a garbage scrimmage. I don’t take anything away from it. No defense. Monroe’s triple double should have an asterisk.

He’s turnover prone, poor in defensive rotations. We need an athletic shot blocker who can hit 3’s.