Author Topic: So, should we be upset that kyrie didn’t get procedure done sooner?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I mean, couldn’t they have done what they did like in, December?  Why did it take them as long as it did the option to do the procedure and miss 3-6 weeks was always there?  Makes no sense.

Re: So, should we be upset that kyrie didn’t get procedure done sooner?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:10:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Its unfortunate but I'm sure he had many opinions from the medical staff on what to do

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My guess is they collectively thought he could manage it throughout the season.  Knowing what we know now, though, it clearly was the wrong choice.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:14:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I mean, couldn’t they have done what they did like in, December?  Why did it take them as long as it did the option to do the procedure and miss 3-6 weeks was always there?  Makes no sense.

From all accounts, sounds like the plan for the season was to manage pain and play through it. In December, it might've seemed perfectly feasible but the irritation got progressively worse, so they decided to act now. Sucks but it is what it is.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 10:15:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hindsight is 20/20 after all.

We can’t be upset, just have to move on and hope he comes back stronger than before
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 10:30:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Its ironically probably exactly what happened with IT this season but to a less severe extent. He thought he could manage it, and it flared up with the seasons mileage requiring surgery to relieve permanently

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Gotta agree. And I am not 100% sold on Kyrie as a teammate yet.

Is the opinion that the surgery will permanently fix this problem, that the pain will be gone ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Not at all. That time was instrumental to establishing that Kyrie would be the same scoring threat with our team that he was with the Cavs.

This is a lost season that could be salvaged by a deep playoff run. If we gut out 1 or 2 tough rounds of the playoffs with only our rotation guys and have Kyrie step in and confirm that he's the scoring machine that we now know he's capable of bringing, win or lose I dont see any way that we could view this season as anything other than a huge success.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 11:24:50 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm not upset that Kyrie could be shutdown.

I am also ok with mostly whatever happens in this playoff run. Yes, they are the #2 seed, but they will not be favored against CLE and are vulnerable to lose to any team in the East. They have had bad luck with injuries this year. We wanted to see what Kyrie can do, and he's going to be even better next year with Hayward. The future is bright, and this year's run has been impressive. They are Hayward and one more player away from being a championship contender.

I hope Kyrie gets the knee right this time, and I'm ok if he doesn't play in this year's playoffs. I didn't want to see them rush Hayward or even Jaylen Brown. I am psyched that they got Brown and Tatum minutes this year.

I've seen what I wanted to see this year, in terms of progression. I'm ecstatic that Kyrie is as good as billed. We should be concerned about his recovery vs. winning playoff games this year.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 01:31:45 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I thought the Celtics season was already lost five minutes into opening night. And during the summer I had them representing the East in the NBA Finals after all these offseason moves. Yes, including sweeping the Cavaliers lol.

But given all of these injuries piling up, and the new Big 3 (Rozier/Tatum/Morris) and the bench guys stepping up not bad for a #2 seed.

That being said, I hope Kyrie comes back stronger than ever. Along with Hayward and the others.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 06:33:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He’s been playing on it for multiple seasons, so I understand waiting.

At the same time, if surgery was inevitable, I would have preferred to have it done last off-season. This procedure could have been done in August, with a full recovery by the season opener.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I always wonder this when these guys decide to have the operation.  And I wonder how much of it is up to the player or the team.  I would guess its up to the player ultimately but it seems the team takes the blame when/if the surgery occurs.  I guess most people decide to put off the operation as long as we can, hoping its not ultimately needed.  Do I wish he'd have had the operation in Dec or before?  Hell yes.  I just hope this operation does the trick forever.  After reading some info on the procedure it doesn't sound to me that this is the final fix, though.  Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
You should only be upset if you had unrealistic expectations for the team after the Hayward injury.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yup. I am upset. He could've even had the surgery done after the March 3rd game vs Houston when he started to feel the pain. Had he done the surgery shortly afterward, he'd be on track to return just in time for the playoffs. Instead he waited til a couple weeks afterwards. Now, we could be playing the Wizards in the first round with no Kyrie, which is an unsettling thought.

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 11:07:20 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
You should only be upset if you had unrealistic expectations for the team after the Hayward injury.

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect the team to have won the East without Hayward. The team went on a 16-0 run following his injury. If we had Kyrie entering the playoffs, I think we could still beat Cleveland and Toronto (w/ home court advantage.)  You look at how good Morris has become, Tatum and Brown improving, the Monroe pick-up and Rozier's emergence, we'd still be able to win the East. Not to mention the return of Smart.