Author Topic: Tatum is the youngest rookie ever to lead a to 50+ win team in minutes played  (Read 7901 times)

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
There are only 4 other rookies that have done this are Kareem, Bird, Robinson, and Duncan.

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Cool stat, but take this with a grain of salt. It's really a testament to our team being injured so much; he's still fourth in minutes per game on the team. Regardless though, it's great to see Tatum develop into a solid player so early.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I wouldn't knock it.  The other four guys all played with some pretty good players on their teams too!

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It was not by design thats for sure....

But what stands out is that, he was forced to this position and has helped the team win a share of games without Kyrie, Hayward

This is impressive.  He is growing up in dog years at the moment.   Next season once he adds 10 pounds of mass...he will be even better

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Cool stat, but take this with a grain of salt. It's really a testament to our team being injured so much; he's still fourth in minutes per game on the team. Regardless though, it's great to see Tatum develop into a solid player so early.

I personally think it is more impressive than leading a 50+ win team in MPG. If he had 36mpg, but only played in 60 games, then he wouldn't have been around for a number of those wins. The fact that so many players have been injured, but the Cs have continued to win with him suited up (and playing lots of minutes) every game show that he is bigger part in these wins than at first glance.

Great for Jayson - he is putting up the opposite of empty stats right now!

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
or looked at another way... for the rest of the players listed it was really a testament to their teams being bad.

injuries or not, tatum has proven he can start on a good team. he has been more impressive than i had imagined. ainge made the right choice in my mind to draft him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Simmons is 4 wins away from joining that list.  Mitchell got awfully close, but the Jazz can't quite hit 50 wins.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
You don't want to overreact to it, but it's a reminder of something very impressive: in his rookie (age 19-20) season, a very smart basketball coach entrusted Jayson Tatum to play big minutes on a really good basketball team.

I actually think we are at risk of underselling both him and Jaylen. Those two are almost tailor-made for NBA defense in terms of their physical traits -- big, nimble, long arms, switch everything -- to go along with a polished offensive game for two players of that age, plus very strong work ethics. The expectation should be for both players to make more than one all-star game in their respective careers.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Even Jaylen Brown is younger than those 4 during their rookie seasons.. Tatum is one special player.

Id still hive him up though for AD. 😁

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Even Jaylen Brown is younger than those 4 during their rookie seasons.. Tatum is one special player.
Id still hive him up though for AD.
Since a week or so I jumped the boat.
He is off limits for me.
Maybe he is our new Paul Pierce. He might be a No1 option on a contender.
Brown is available, but only for that type of a nuclear trade.
A la AD. Kawhi perhaps.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Simmons is 4 wins away from joining that list.  Mitchell got awfully close, but the Jazz can't quite hit 50 wins.

Simmons not really a rookie.

Close counts in horse shoes. Not here lol.

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

this is one heck of a rookie class
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I personally think it is more impressive than leading a 50+ win team in MPG. If he had 36mpg, but only played in 60 games, then he wouldn't have been around for a number of those wins. The fact that so many players have been injured, but the Cs have continued to win with him suited up (and playing lots of minutes) every game show that he is bigger part in these wins than at first glance.

Great for Jayson - he is putting up the opposite of empty stats right now!

There's a fallacy in this. Total wins is an aggregated statistic, so total minutes is an apt relationship. If you account for teammate injuries or use minutes-per-game, then you would have to also use something like "wins per game played"? if that exists.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Simmons not really a rookie.

Close counts in horse shoes. Not here lol.

But he does count. Yes he got to sit out a year and learn an offense, but he is a rookie. Like it or not, this is his rookie class.
#JKJB

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I don't want to jinx him, but I really hope this guy can magically go another another couple months without hitting the rookie wall.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale