Poll

What Team Is The Klaw Playing For Past The 2018-2019 Season?

Staying In San Antonio. Spurs For Life.
11 (16.7%)
New York Knicks
2 (3%)
Los Angeles Lakers
26 (39.4%)
Boston Celtics
16 (24.2%)
Philadelphia 76ers
6 (9.1%)
Milwaukee Bucks
1 (1.5%)
Other Team (Comment Below!)
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Poll: Who Is Kawhi Leonard Playing For In 2019 & Beyond?  (Read 9161 times)

Poll: Who Is Kawhi Leonard Playing For In 2019 & Beyond?
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I CAN'T believe I'm asking this question, and NEVER thought in my entire life this would even be a possibility, but do you think Kawhi Leonard has played his final game for the Spurs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJq6rD6DxM

The NBA Countdown crew was discussing this yesterday before the Rockets-Spurs game, and Jalen Rose and The Truth think Kawhi has played his last game as a Spur. Beadle also thinks this could be the case (though sad for her since I think she's a Spurs fan LOL). Anyways, then Jalen made the prediction that Boston trade for Kawhi, while Pierce thinks the Lakers should and will acquire him this summer.

Personally, I think this is sort of like the Aldridge situation where it seemed there was tension between him and Popovich (and the organization), but they settled it and now Aldridge is a legit all-star and primary option for the Spurs (no problems anymore at all). Maybe Kawhi and the Spurs sort this out during the summer and he signs that super-max extension and remains a Spur for life.

However, I think it's also telling that while the team played at San Antonio yesterday and the Playoffs are near, Kawhi is getting treatment at New York THIS LATE into the year. He's not even with the team and hasn't been for almost the entire season.

Idk, it just all seems so bizarre. I love Kawhi and think he's honestly underrated (easily a Top-5 player in the league when healthy and easily the best two-way player in the league), but like Irving, maybe there's a "different side" to him than we realized.

Leonard has one year of control left (around 20M next season), and he could either opt-in with his player option in 2019 and get traded to another team (Like CP3 last summer), or simply opt-out and sign as a FA elsewhere the summer of 2019.

Anyways, what do you guys think and/or predict? As I stated in the bold, I predict Kawhi remains a Spurs legend/superstar for life.

And frankly, I'm fine with the team we have and don't think gutting our assets for Davis or Leonard is worth it at this point. Both come with some big injury risks it seems as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Poll: Who Is Kawhi Leonard Playing For In 2019 & Beyond?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 11:32:51 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
He isn't staying, he screwed his teammates and coach for his money, if i am the Spurs i trade him as soon as possible.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 11:37:56 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If it's not the Celtics, who cares?  He's a diva like so many of them, largely because that's reinforced by the league at the moment.  Hopefully that changes somewhere down the road.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 01:08:48 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I still think he'll be with the Spurs next year.  And think he's more likely than not to sign a new contract with them as well.  The bottom line is he can make way more money in San Antonio than anywhere else.

But I don't necessarily think he's going to be a "Spurs for life".  I think at some point the Spurs will have to rebuild, and trading Leonard in his prime is a surefire way to jump start that process.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 12:59:31 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Now Jalen's prediction is circulating all over the media.

Is it just me or has this guy been the "Woj wannabe" of the Kawhi saga this season  :P

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 02:25:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He will either sign an extension this summer or get traded.  I don't know which one is more likely, but I can't see the Spurs letting him play out the year as an expiring contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
He will either sign an extension this summer or get traded.  I don't know which one is more likely, but I can't see the Spurs letting him play out the year as an expiring contract.

I also think if Spurs trade him, it will be to an East team. So if he does get dealt, it's likely to either Milwaukee or Philadelphia.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 03:14:44 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I say Lakers...if im Danny i pass...1. Dont know how serious Leonard injury is...2. Dont know how Hayward will be once he comes back..3. Rather have a healthy combo of Tatum, Brown, Rozier & Smart
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think he gets traded but not sure where.

Also, I am so sick of hearing people saying that Davis "comes with big injury risks". So f'n not true.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 04:29:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's the Spurs, they're not going to panic trade a guy unless there's no other recourse.

The tough decision comes if Kawhi's people play hardball and refuse an extension.  That's when the Spurs will quietly start looking into the offers they're surely already getting.

Don't know which way it will break, but I can just about guarantee the Spurs want to keep him barring something crazy like the ability to trade him for Davis. It probably depends on how Kawhi approaches it, and he's not a talker, so it's mostly guessing.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 04:41:03 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
If there is a trade that exists that involves 1 of Tatum or Brown + 1 of Rozier or Smart + Sac pick + other draft considerations and filler, you have to do it. I'm not sure that would get it done, and I'd be very hesitant to trade everything for Kawhi.
#JKJB

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 04:43:22 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Also, I am so sick of hearing people saying that Davis "comes with big injury risks". So f'n not true.
It definitely has a kernel of truth to it.

Davis has never played a full season and has only played 70 games twice in what is now a six-year career.

No, he has never had a real serious injury like a torn ACL or torn Achilles, but he has sustained a lot of nicks and bruises over the course of his tenure. The fact that he is so susceptible to things like sprains means his body could very well be more prone to tears and fractures.

I'm all for going after AD, but there is no doubt that he carries some durability concerns.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Now Jalen's prediction is circulating all over the media.

Is it just me or has this guy been the "Woj wannabe" of the Kawhi saga this season  :P

Jalen has been making both reasonable and outlandish predictions for the many years he's been in the media.  What irks me most about him is how arrogant he is about it, often times citing that he's in the know of player's more than anyone else (including Woj).  I remember him stating that MJ was coming back to play like 5-years ago, and that only he (Jalen) knew about this.  He shared it like we were fortunate to be listening to someone as connected as him.  Obviously that and most everything else he says never comes true. 

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 04:58:07 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

It definitely has a kernel of truth to it.

Davis has never played a full season and has only played 70 games twice in what is now a six-year career.

No, he has never had a real serious injury like a torn ACL or torn Achilles, but he has sustained a lot of nicks and bruises over the course of his tenure. The fact that he is so susceptible to things like sprains means his body could very well be more prone to tears and fractures.

I'm all for going after AD, but there is no doubt that he carries some durability concerns.
How do we know that he couldn't have come back sooner from some of those "minor" injuries? The team could've held him out intentionally for a lot of those games given that he's a franchise player and the team wasn't that competitive so why take an unnecessary risk(s). I call BS when people say he's comes with big injury concerns. He missed 7 games last year and maybe a handful this year. Star players are given games off. It's a known fact in the NBA. Until he has chronic knee and/or foot problems I'm not worried one bit about his durability.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If there is a trade that exists that involves 1 of Tatum or Brown + 1 of Rozier or Smart + Sac pick + other draft considerations and filler, you have to do it. I'm not sure that would get it done, and I'd be very hesitant to trade everything for Kawhi.

Playing around with the NBA Trade machine and also accounting for salary increases next year, I think the most "reasonable" deal that could occur would be something like Brown/Tatum (just one), Rozier, Morris, and then two of Nader/Yabusele/Ojeyele (to make salaries work). Then obviously, Kings Pick and probably another future pick.

Personally, I wouldn't do that deal (ESPECIALLY if they want Tatum back), but considering salaries and such, that's probably what gets it done. Of course, other teams like PHI could probably outbid us, which is fine by me. Even LAL could though they'd probably have to get rid of Kuzma AND Ingram in the trade (since they don't really have any high picks coming up it seems and I doubt SAS wants Lonzo lol)

Now if you could work a sign and trade involving Smart and he's alright with going to San Antonio, and San Antonio wants Smart too, then it's possible to work a trade involving Smart, Brown/Tatum, and possibly being able to keep both Rozier and Morris (or at least one) depending on how much Smart's next extension is.