Poll

If you're Ainge, do you keep Rozier for another season to contend for a title? Or trade for an asset?

This bench (as constituted now) is invaluable. Ainge should preserve it and and pursue a championship
13 (26%)
Rozier is good, but not irreplaceable. Ainge should shop him as a trade piece and see what he can get for him
23 (46%)
I like what Rozier provides. I'd wait up to the trade deadline next season. But otherwise, keep him on the team.
14 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: What to do w/ Rozier in offseason. Trade for an asset? Or keep for a title run?  (Read 8769 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've said it before and I'm sure I will say it again, when considering price, I'd much rather have Rozier next year then Smart.  Boston needs to avoid the luxury tax at all costs and that seems like a pretty easy way to do it, which would also make keeping Baynes or Monroe easier.

Yes Rozier is a better value at his salary and looks like the more complete player.

But, do you just let Smart walk for nothing?

Seems like the smartest  thing to do would be sell high on Rozier (maybe package him with Brown, Morris, and/or pick for a superstar big) and resign Smart.

I think it’s going to be very hard to find time for all these guys with GH in the mix next season. Letting Smart walk helps, but not sure it solves it. Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum all need 30+ mpg and then you’ll have Smart, Rozier, Morris who need ~25 mpg. Unless you are playing Horford the majority of the time at the 5 and going small often, that’s too many players and too few minutes, imo.

Consolidate assets and cash in for a big time player, much like DA did this past offseason. Isaiah was coming off an All-NBA season, that Nets pick we had been drooling over for years, and even Zizic looked promising. But you have to give to get. I’d rather have another bonafide all-star than two really good players sitting on the bench in the playoffs because there aren’t minutes to go around for them.
I'd absolutely let Smart walk for nothing if it meant avoiding the luxury tax and keeping a big man (which is a far more important position based on roster construction).  Now obviously what Smart's contract looks like will play a large role in all of this, but I would have no problem letting him walk. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As this season has proven, injuries happen and its best to have good players on that bench to fill in when others go down. Next year has to be an all in for a run at the title, so you keep Rozier. He's turned himself into an impactful player and he's cheap so you keep him for next year, irregardless of what Danny does Smart.

If the Celtics win the title, then its time for management to decide how much the want to go into spending money to keep that championship core together. That's when its decision time for Rozier, not this offseason.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Trade him when his value is at it's highest, which is most likely in the summer. Not enough minutes and money for him going forward. Just the hard truth.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
As this season has proven, injuries happen and its best to have good players on that bench to fill in when others go down. Next year has to be an all in for a run at the title, so you keep Rozier. He's turned himself into an impactful player and he's cheap so you keep him for next year, irregardless of what Danny does Smart.

If the Celtics win the title, then its time for management to decide how much the want to go into spending money to keep that championship core together. That's when its decision time for Rozier, not this offseason.

The tradeoff is that you have Rozier in case a guard is down for the playoffs, but if no one is seriously hurt, either Smart or Rozier will not play much at all. If you end up wanting to move Rozier after 2018-19, he will be worth quite a bit less. He will likely have played much less, and we will have used up one more year of his rookie deal.

I just don't think the insurance is worth squandering that much value.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
All I can say is I'm glad I'm not Danny Ainge.  Not an easy call.

It is actually easy.  You try to extend him cheap, and if he declines you assess the trade market for him next year.  If no trade, then you give him the qualifying offer, see what he gets on the market, and match it if the money makes sense.

Same thing he is doing with Smart this year.

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Easy.

Trade for best possible asset.

There's only 96 guard minutes.  Kyrie, Jaylen, and Smart are all 30+ mpg players, and Tatum can easily play the 2.  Guard depth is not an issue.

Don't lose in following offseason for nothing!!!
And we got Larkin - not that he is better than Rozier. But will be a lot cheaper .
I do consider Larkin as better in running an offense as pg.

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
What if Kyrie decides he wants to test free agency? Trading Rozier before we know Kyrie’s intentions would not be sound.

What if someone asks for Kyrie in exchange for someone who plays center? cough, cough..davis..cough... Or what if that team is fascinated with Rozier as a piece for a big trade. Or what if a dissapoonted lower lottery team decides Rozier is better then what they can get and dont want another big man- perhaps the Kings.

I say hold onto him for now - I have a feeling Rozier will be big in one way or another for us..I love the growth we have witnessed this year and he is going to get better. I would love to see him stay in Green but I wouldnt say No to a big move.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

The tradeoff is that you have Rozier in case a guard is down for the playoffs, but if no one is seriously hurt, either Smart or Rozier will not play much at all. If you end up wanting to move Rozier after 2018-19, he will be worth quite a bit less. He will likely have played much less, and we will have used up one more year of his rookie deal.

So you assume, Smart signs, Kyrie, Brown and Smart never get hurt, each play all their minutes at guard with Brown and Smart never playing the 3 in a 3 guard lineup and Rozier only playing mop up minutes. You also assume, that just because Rozier barely plays that suddenly GMs across the league will just forget about Rozier's 2017-18 season and suddenly won't want to sign him or sign and trade for him at any point.

Yeah, I am going with Rozier is around next season, he plays a bunch of minutes every game, he gets better and better and he helps the team to their 18th championship. Then he gets resigned and the team decides to play lots of luxury tax to keep the Irving, Smart, Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Horford core together while drafting bigs and signing bigs to help fill out the roster

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I’m basically on the same page as Nick. Ride the last year of Rozier’s rookie contract - he definitely helps your chance at a title. If you win, you can figure out what to do for the following years.

I only think twice if somebody wants him as part of a package that could bring back a young big that Danny and Brad like as Al’s future replacement. (And no, I don’t know who makes that offer, which is why I see him staying.)

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
What do people think his value is? I honestly have no idea.
He's still improving so do we really know what his ceiling is?  Tough call.  If he stays another year he's a potential hedge against Kyrie's knee being a long term issue. But it seems like it's either him or Smart and that's not an easy call. Both have skills that win you games.

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I don't know what Rozier's trade market looks like, and I don't know if the Celtics will re-sign Marcus Smart.  Both are pretty important variables. 

I'd be inclined to keep Rozier and make a run next year.  But if somebody views him as a potential long-term starter and is willing to offer us a package that reflects that belief, then I'd have a hard time turning that down for our third/fourth guard.  But we hold the cards here, and if nobody offers us anything that good, then I guess we'll have to keep him and make my run at a championship.  What a shame...

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Here's my view on this: are you really going to trade a guy that will probably give you 12-15 ppg, 4-5 rpg, 4-5 ast per games at league average shooting who is making less than $2 million a year for a draft pick who in 3 years time MIGHT never give you the same production as Rozier is giving you right now and who might never exceed any of those expectations in the next 6-8 years?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:49:01 AM by nickagneta »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Here's my view on this: are you really going to trade a guy that will probably give you 12-15 ppg, 4-5 rpg, 4-5 ast per games at league average shooting who is making less than $2 million a year for a draft pick who in 3 years time MIGHT never give you the same production as Rozier is giving you right now and who might never exceed any of those expectations in the next 6-8 years?

Not sure who is suggesting we trade him for a pick. I think most would want to use him in a bigger package or for a big.

A forward-thinking GM could see something in him and be willing to part with a star if he is included.

Perhaps it’s too small a sample size, but he’s averaging nearly 19/6/5 as a starter. Let’s say he keeps that average throughout the final 6 games and perhaps into the playoffs for as long as he’s a starter... that’s now over a quarter of a season. It’s somewhat conceivable to see an Oladipo-like leap from him in a larger role. Not that I’m saying he’s as good as VO, but that he can make a similar improvement.

Now I don’t think he can be the centerpiece in nabbing Davis or Leonard if either were to become available.... but he could be the missing piece to get it done.
CELTICS 2024

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Not sure who is suggesting we trade him for a pick. I think most would want to use him in a bigger package or for a big.

A forward-thinking GM could see something in him and be willing to part with a star if he is included.

Perhaps it’s too small a sample size, but he’s averaging nearly 19/6/5 as a starter. Let’s say he keeps that average throughout the final 6 games and perhaps into the playoffs for as long as he’s a starter... that’s now over a quarter of a season. It’s somewhat conceivable to see an Oladipo-like leap from him in a larger role. Not that I’m saying he’s as good as VO, but that he can make a similar improvement.

Now I don’t think he can be the centerpiece in nabbing Davis or Leonard if either were to become available.... but he could be the missing piece to get it done.
First, over other trade Rozier and be a forward thinking GM threads on this site, Rozier is being traded with picks for a high draft pick this year. It's not an uncommon idea and is probably the most suggested "trade Rozier" idea.

Second, in trading Rozier for a star, the problem is, he probably is low in the importance of who you are giving up simply because of how little money he makes. He won't be the centerpiece for a high priced star because he makes so little which means he will most likely be a throw in in a much larger deal which includes higher salary players, which diminishes his overall value.

If you're going to trade Rozier for full value, you are really best off resigning him to 4 year deal and trafing him off in year one or sign and trading him. His value had become so much higher than his salary that its hard to trade him without getting equal value back.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

So you assume, Smart signs, Kyrie, Brown and Smart never get hurt, each play all their minutes at guard with Brown and Smart never playing the 3 in a 3 guard lineup and Rozier only playing mop up minutes. You also assume, that just because Rozier barely plays that suddenly GMs across the league will just forget about Rozier's 2017-18 season and suddenly won't want to sign him or sign and trade for him at any point.

Yeah, I am going with Rozier is around next season, he plays a bunch of minutes every game, he gets better and better and he helps the team to their 18th championship. Then he gets resigned and the team decides to play lots of luxury tax to keep the Irving, Smart, Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Horford core together while drafting bigs and signing bigs to help fill out the roster
basically this, keep him, sign extension and maybe trade him for high picks or go into tax