Poll

If you're Ainge, do you keep Rozier for another season to contend for a title? Or trade for an asset?

This bench (as constituted now) is invaluable. Ainge should preserve it and and pursue a championship
13 (26%)
Rozier is good, but not irreplaceable. Ainge should shop him as a trade piece and see what he can get for him
23 (46%)
I like what Rozier provides. I'd wait up to the trade deadline next season. But otherwise, keep him on the team.
14 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: What to do w/ Rozier in offseason. Trade for an asset? Or keep for a title run?  (Read 8812 times)

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Rozier has stated his desire to be a starting PG on an NBA team. He has been the only player (other than Tatum) to play in every game this season. And without Kyrie, Smart, Horford, Morris, or Brown, he has shown potential stepping up his game.

Over his last 25 games, Rozier is averaging 16.4 points (41.7 FG%, 43.6 3PT%), 5 rebounds, and 4.1 assists. 10+ points in all of 'em. In his 12 career starts, he's averaging 18.6 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Next year, he'll play the remainder of his rookie contract, and then will enter Restricted Free Agency.

If the team decides to extend Smart (who Steve Bulpette says the Cs could sign for a deal in the $10-15 million range) than I can't see how the Cs would have the capspace to sign Rozier for a competetive offer, especially when it's he doesn't want to play on the bench for his whole career.

That said, he could be a valuable contributor off the bench next season. With a healthy Gordon Hayward + Theis returning, I can see this team going on a championship run if Ainge keeps the core roster intact.

A title, imo, is worth keeping Rozier for another season, even if you risk losing him afterwards for nothing.

Would you want to keep Rozier for another season, or trade him away for an asset.

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
All I can say is I'm glad I'm not Danny Ainge.  Not an easy call.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Keep him. Make sure Kyrie is 100% healthy next year before giving him a Max deal. Roziers stock will only rise next year.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think he deserves a shot at full time starter so I see what we can get for him. If the value isn't there you don't move him.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
It depends on whether he will pull a Jared Sullinger the subsequent season and suddenly become lazy or unproductive in his game or not.

Love his current production but it's a tough call. I'd trade him for an asset.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It depends on whether he will pull a Jared Sullinger the subsequent season and suddenly become lazy or unproductive in his game or not.

If he was to pull one he would have to go back in time because Sully was always lazy and overweight.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

I'm unsure if this joke went over my head or if you were being serious.
ok fine

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
With a healthy Hayward, Smart, and Irving back next year, this could be the highest Rozier's stock ever is as his minutes will be at least slightly reduced next year. This could mean getting a 'decent' deal on Rozier in the '19 offseason or it could mean that we are unable to pay him no matter what the cost. It also might mean it is a good time to deal him depending on what is offered.

I think a better question might be, has Rozier's sudden development made a trade of Jaylen Brown more palatable to Ainge? I doubt this is the plan, but if Brown is considered much more valuable to other teams and he is definitely going to require a max contract, does a [maybe slightly] cheaper, but very productive, Rozier make more sense moving forward?

I think the end of this season and first round of the playoffs will be telling in how valuable Rozier is to the Cs moving forward. If he continues to develop, it would be an incredible shame just to let him walk. Also, whether or not we re-sign Smart should also give some inclination of if we should continue to expect to see Rozier in green.

No matter how things go down, Ainge has some very difficult decisions to make moving forward. I'm not sure he can continue to extract as much value in trades as he has to this point.

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
You have to let the kid walk... We need him next year when we make a run at the chip...  Terry, Smart & Morris running that Second unit would be amazing...  That's the kind of Bench that Championship teams have when they win it all...

Sadly though the following year he walks for nothing or we Sign and Trade him... We just don't have the cap room and this kid has earned the right to start somewhere... (Hopefully with a Ring on his finger)

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
With a healthy Hayward, Smart, and Irving back next year, this could be the highest Rozier's stock ever is as his minutes will be at least slightly reduced next year. This could mean getting a 'decent' deal on Rozier in the '19 offseason or it could mean that we are unable to pay him no matter what the cost. It also might mean it is a good time to deal him depending on what is offered.

I think a better question might be, has Rozier's sudden development made a trade of Jaylen Brown more palatable to Ainge? I doubt this is the plan, but if Brown is considered much more valuable to other teams and he is definitely going to require a max contract, does a [maybe slightly] cheaper, but very productive, Rozier make more sense moving forward?

I think the end of this season and first round of the playoffs will be telling in how valuable Rozier is to the Cs moving forward. If he continues to develop, it would be an incredible shame just to let him walk. Also, whether or not we re-sign Smart should also give some inclination of if we should continue to expect to see Rozier in green.

No matter how things go down, Ainge has some very difficult decisions to make moving forward. I'm not sure he can continue to extract as much value in trades as he has to this point.

There's only so many minutes to go around, especially if Rozier returns to being a rotational player. There's no way Rozier wants to stay if he can't display his full potential long-term and receive maximum playing time. My guess is, he signs with another team that can offer him a starting role.

You either trade him for something.... or keep him knowing that he's likely to walk away.

But one thing is for sure.... he makes our bench a force to reckon with. And that's valuable when you're in the mix for a title. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:50:09 PM by Celtic_Pride777 »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
The only way you trade Terry is if you can get an elite return of assets back.  For instance of someone in the top 8 this year likes Terry and is willing to move their pick for Terry and a pick then you do it.  If not you can match and resign terry via bird rights if someone offers him a deal.  You match it then trade him later in the year if you are not on a championship run to get under the luxury tax.  The key will be if they can stay under the luxury tax next year.  If they can then they can absolutely afford both Terry and Marcus in 2019.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I've said it before and I'm sure I will say it again, when considering price, I'd much rather have Rozier next year then Smart.  Boston needs to avoid the luxury tax at all costs and that seems like a pretty easy way to do it, which would also make keeping Baynes or Monroe easier. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
What do people think his value is? I honestly have no idea.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Easy.

Trade for best possible asset.

There's only 96 guard minutes.  Kyrie, Jaylen, and Smart are all 30+ mpg players, and Tatum can easily play the 2.  Guard depth is not an issue.

Don't lose in following offseason for nothing!!!
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I've said it before and I'm sure I will say it again, when considering price, I'd much rather have Rozier next year then Smart.  Boston needs to avoid the luxury tax at all costs and that seems like a pretty easy way to do it, which would also make keeping Baynes or Monroe easier.

Yes Rozier is a better value at his salary and looks like the more complete player.

But, do you just let Smart walk for nothing?

Seems like the smartest  thing to do would be sell high on Rozier (maybe package him with Brown, Morris, and/or pick for a superstar big) and resign Smart.

I think it’s going to be very hard to find time for all these guys with GH in the mix next season. Letting Smart walk helps, but not sure it solves it. Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum all need 30+ mpg and then you’ll have Smart, Rozier, Morris who need ~25 mpg. Unless you are playing Horford the majority of the time at the 5 and going small often, that’s too many players and too few minutes, imo.

Consolidate assets and cash in for a big time player, much like DA did this past offseason. Isaiah was coming off an All-NBA season, that Nets pick we had been drooling over for years, and even Zizic looked promising. But you have to give to get. I’d rather have another bonafide all-star than two really good players sitting on the bench in the playoffs because there aren’t minutes to go around for them.
CELTICS 2024