Author Topic: PF Moritz Wagner would be a nice 2018 draft pickup  (Read 9732 times)

Re: PF Moritz Wagner would be a nice 2018 draft pickup
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2018, 10:01:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Isn't Mo Wagner only 20 years old? If so I think he has a lot of room to grow, especially as a big man.

yup. he will be turning 21 at the end of this month

exactly.  Most big players take time to develop

DiVincenzo is looking like the best player on the floor right now.

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2018, 11:42:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Good, not great, college player who's going to struggle mightily, both defensively and on the boards, at the next level. I don't see much upside in Pittsnogle 2.0.

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2018, 12:20:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Isn't Mo Wagner only 20 years old? If so I think he has a lot of room to grow, especially as a big man.

Reminds of Ainge in college. Also 6’5”. Similar confidence.

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 01:14:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Reminds of Ainge in college. Also 6’5”. Similar confidence.

That's a good comparison. I haven't see this kid play before but he was amazing in this game.

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like Wagner as a fringe NBA prospect who a team should take a shot at in the early to mid 2nd round range. Ultimately I hope he stays in school 1 more year and work on having a Frank Kamisky like senior season. Their stats as junior are very comparable. If Wagner continues to get stronger he could work his way into the first round next season.

As for the Celtics I do not think he will provide enough dynamic offense to make up for his defensive short comings and earn court time. He shares many of the defensive limitations as KO but is not nearly as over all skilled on offense.

I personally think the Cs will find themselves picking from a crop of talented but flawed guards/wings at the 27th pick. Such as  Grayson Allen, Rawle Alkins, Trent Jr, Melton or Frazier. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 03:55:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
nbadraft.net has him at 40 (the latest mock was dated 3/29).  That seems about right.

They have the C's taking Caleb Martin at 27.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 09:55:03 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Any Wagner fans still left?

A) Playing just 6.9 MPG and is the unathletic defensive sieve I expected.

B) Even more telling than his on-court "production" is that his name is nowhere to be found in the Pelicans-Lakers trade talks when half the roster has been named. Very indicative of his perceived value across the league, as even if the Pelicans don't value him, he could be flipped to someone who does. However, looks like that doesn't exist.

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

B) Even more telling than his on-court "production" is that his name is nowhere to be found in the Pelicans-Lakers trade talks when half the roster has been named. Very indicative of his perceived value across the league, as even if the Pelicans don't value him, he could be flipped to someone who does. However, looks like that doesn't exist.

I like him. If I were the Pelicans I would put more stock in Wagner than in Zubac. Especially since Zubac is a free agent this summer.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 04:48:45 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I like him. If I were the Pelicans I would put more stock in Wagner than in Zubac. Especially since Zubac is a free agent this summer.

But it's not just the Pelicans, it's his value across the league. Fairly sure, if another team had interest in Wagner they would contact the Pelicans and tell them to get him in the package and they'll send them something for him. So basically giving the Pelicans something for nothing. It's obvious this isn't happening because there isn't any interest in Wagner.

People were hyping him based on NCAA success and that strategy (see Kaminsky, Napier, etc.) has failed time and time again.

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 05:10:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

But it's not just the Pelicans, it's his value across the league. Fairly sure, if another team had interest in Wagner they would contact the Pelicans and tell them to get him in the package and they'll send them something for him. So basically giving the Pelicans something for nothing. It's obvious this isn't happening because there isn't any interest in Wagner.

People were hyping him based on NCAA success and that strategy (see Kaminsky, Napier, etc.) has failed time and time again.

I was not a major supporter of his pro potential despite (or more arguably) because of my being a Michigan fan, and having watched dozens of his college games.  On the defensive end, the game moved too quickly for him and he got caught in bad positions.

That said, your assertion above regarding offers to New Orleans is highly overstated.  If the Pelicans demanded Wagner over Zubac, that would obviously not be an impediment to a Davis trade.  However, if the rumors we’ve heard are true, that the Pelicans really haven’t made an actual counter offer, then you would never hear that New Orleans prefer Wagner over Zubac, because that isn’t the hold up of the deal, but rather it’s the package as a total, regardless of Mo’s inclusion or not.

Wagner needs to go to a team with good defensive coaching and the available playing time to let him get his reps in.  It’s not the technique or the effort, but rather the awareness, reaction, and decision-making that makes him a real liability on defense, and the only way to improve that is to give him minutes. He did improve between and during his final two seasons in school with such playing time.  In Boston, however, that would not be an option, and so we should not pursue him.

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 06:32:25 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

TP for being petty and digging into the archives.  I love that you can do that on this forum