Author Topic: Kevin Garnett passionately explained why MJ is the GOAT  (Read 2407 times)

Re: Kevin Garnett passionately explained why MJ is the GOAT
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Eh...

Did Jordan ever beat a single great team on his way to a championship? IMO LeBron/Pippen/Rodman would easily beat teams like the Ewing/Starks Knicks, the Reggie/Smits Pacers, and the Payton/Kemp Sonics.

Truth is the 90's was an expansion era with a lot of mediocre teams that were badly outclassed by one juggernaut.

Kinda like what the Warriors are facing right now after their KD salary-cap gift from the gods.

Look at the roster Hakeem won a title with that first year, the second best player on his team was Otis-frickin-Thorpe. Give me a break.

Jordan was clearly the best player of his era, much like LeBron. Both players were favored by the officials and got help when they were in trouble in the playoffs. Tho IMO Jordan needed the help a little less because he had more killer instinct. I also suspect LeBron is on massive amounts of PEDs. But from  a pure winning standpoint LeBron crushes those overrated 90's Bulls opponents. Easily. And to me "greatness" is about performance. So I'd put them about even.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 12:00:40 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I love KG but he's way off on 2 things:

"That man saved basketball when basketball was on the verge of losing it. When we had addicts, when guys came in camp overweight. Who do you think started coming in camp in shape, ready to go day one? Who started that?"

False - it was the Bird/Magic 80's that saved basketball and got it away from the out of shape coke-ridden 70's.  Jordan wasn't even remotely the first person to come into the season in incredible shape. 

"...And this was with Magic and Bird still in the league!!!!"

Yes, with Bird & Magic in the league Jordan never won jack.  It wasn't until they left the league and the Pistons declined that he won.  What did Jordan accomplish with Bird & magic in the league KG?

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 12:18:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I love KG but he's way off on 2 things:

"That man saved basketball when basketball was on the verge of losing it. When we had addicts, when guys came in camp overweight. Who do you think started coming in camp in shape, ready to go day one? Who started that?"

False - it was the Bird/Magic 80's that saved basketball and got it away from the out of shape coke-ridden 70's.  Jordan wasn't even remotely the first person to come into the season in incredible shape. 

Ratings disagree - Bird + Magic were seen as a turning point but the league was still not very popular their first few years. Remember Magic's legendary Game 6 at center in the 1980 Finals was broadcast on tape delay and seen by relatively few people. Ditto for much of the Celtics' comeback from down 3-1 in the 81 ECF, and their Finals win over Houston. 

Jordan quickly became the most popular athlete on Earth, opened up worldwide markets and took the league's popularity to a new level. 

It is very hard to separate Jordan's impact from the groundwork paved by Bird + Magic (and other guys like Dr. J) though. That's a fair argument to make.

"...And this was with Magic and Bird still in the league!!!!"

Yes, with Bird & Magic in the league Jordan never won jack.  It wasn't until they left the league and the Pistons declined that he won.  What did Jordan accomplish with Bird & magic in the league KG?

Jordan got his first ring by beating Magic's Lakers in the Finals. Bird was in the league through Jordan's first 2 rings. It's not his fault the Celtics lost in the Eastern playoffs before meeting the Bulls those two years, and it's not his fault Magic got HIV and retired young.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:23:49 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:42:47 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Eh...

Did Jordan ever beat a single great team on his way to a championship? IMO LeBron/Pippen/Rodman would easily beat teams like the Ewing/Starks Knicks, the Reggie/Smits Pacers, and the Payton/Kemp Sonics.

Ya a team with Bird/Pippen/Rodman would beat the Knicks, Pacers, Sonics too.  Jordan/Wade/Bosh would also have a couple of championships, Durant/Moses Malone/Mo Cheeks could probably go Fo-Fi-Fo in '83.  I don't get this comment.  Replacing a great player with a similarly great player will lead to similar results.

Jordan beat Magic 4-1.
That's not an overhill Magic, that's a 31 year old, 1st All-NBA, 2nd in MVP voting, with a 25.1 PER on a 58 win team Magic Johnson.  Jordan beat prime Magic (along with prime 29 year old James Worthy).  In no universe is that not considered a worthy opponent.

And to do that he beat the reigning 2x champion Detroit Pistons, led by 29 year old Isiah Thomas, 29 year old DPOY Dennis Rodman, and 27 year old All-NBA/All-Defense Joe Dumars. Not only did he beat them, he swept them.  Again, in no universe is that not considered a worthy opponent.

Jordan destroyed greatness to get to his first championship, and he continued to beat 60+ win teams for the rest of his reign.  Some seasons he beat multiple 60+ win teams ('93, '96, '97).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:24:03 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 01:37:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Eh...

Ya a team with Bird/Pippen/Rodman would beat the Knicks, Pacers, Sonics too.  Jordan/Wade/Bosh would also have a couple of championships, Durant/Moses Malone/Mo Cheeks could probably go Fo-Fi-Fo in '83.  I don't get this comment.  Replacing a great player with a similarly great player will lead to similar results.

It's also a chicken and egg problem - despite a lot of regular season success, those teams, and others like the Barkley Suns and Stockton/Malone Jazz, aren't considered great because they didn't win championships. But they didn't win championships because they couldn't get past Jordan, so...

The only thing you can do in that situation is beat the previous wave of great teams, which like you note Jordan did with the Pistons and Lakers.  He didn't get the Celtics but that's because we couldn't make it far enough to play him and we weren't the same caliber of team by that point either.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 01:41:24 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Do people realize Rodman was 34 by the time he got to chicago? He also didn't have a lot of value at the time he was traded, traded for backup center Will Purdue

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/10/03/sports/pro-basketball-unhappy-rodman-is-dealt-from-spurs-to-the-bulls.html

I feel like cause it was a while ago people have a different idea of what Rodman was at the time. Jordan probably played a role in getting great play out of rodman.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Eh...

It's also a chicken and egg problem - despite a lot of regular season success, those teams, and others like the Barkley Suns and Stockton/Malone Jazz, aren't considered great because they didn't win championships. But they didn't win championships because they couldn't get past Jordan, so...

The only thing you can do in that situation is beat the previous wave of great teams, which like you note Jordan did with the Pistons and Lakers.  He didn't get the Celtics but that's because we couldn't make it far enough to play him and we weren't the same caliber of team by that point either.
Jordan's Bulls only played 2 real legit teams in the Finals (the Lakers and the Sonics), and only once played a real legit team on the way to the Finals (the Pistons).  Let's take the Jazz (let's just do the first team in 96/97).  Have people actually looked at that team.  Yes Malone and Stockton were great, but Bryon Russell was the 3rd best player on those teams (and Malone was 33 and Stockton was 34).  Jeff Hornacek and Greg Ostertag were the other starters.  The bench was Greg Foster, Shandon Anderson, Antoine Carr, Howard Eisley, and Chris Morris (the all played in all 20 playoff games).  Outside of Malone and Stockton, that team was horrid.  The fact that it was 64 win team and cruised to the Finals, shows just weak the league was overall that season.  They were basically the same team the following season when they won 62 and again cruised through the West, except you know they were a year older. 

That first year, beating Detroit and then LA was a great achievement.  Jordan's first full season back, they matched up with a very deep and good Sonics team (Payton, Kemp, Schrempf, Perkins, Hawkins, and McMillan is a pretty solid top 6).  But the reality is, the 90's was mostly a bunch of crap teams mostly led by 1, maybe 2, great players and a bunch of crap. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:43:17 PM by alley oop »

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 07:18:52 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Eh...

Jordan beat Magic 4-1.
That's not an overhill Magic, that's a 31 year old, 1st All-NBA, 2nd in MVP voting, with a 25.1 PER on a 58 win team Magic Johnson.  Jordan beat prime Magic (along with prime 29 year old James Worthy).  In no universe is that not considered a worthy opponent.

And to do that he beat the reigning 2x champion Detroit Pistons, led by 29 year old Isiah Thomas, 29 year old DPOY Dennis Rodman, and 27 year old All-NBA/All-Defense Joe Dumars. Not only did he beat them, he swept them.  Again, in no universe is that not considered a worthy opponent.

Jordan destroyed greatness to get to his first championship, and he continued to beat 60+ win teams for the rest of his reign.  Some seasons he beat multiple 60+ win teams ('93, '96, '97).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never thought that was a particularly great Lakers team.

But the reality is, the 90's was mostly a bunch of crap teams mostly led by 1, maybe 2, great players and a bunch of crap. 

I pretty much agree with this. If Jordan had played most of his career in the '80s, there's no way he wins 6 titles or goes undefeated in the Finals.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:29:22 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 08:03:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I disagree quite strongly. He didn't win the most rings, even in a weak era (that others have touched upon). He's also not the most dominant individual player ever.

Without those two things being in his favour, it's hard to argue that he's the GOAT. I've always argued that he's been overrated because of his popularity, and considering KG was raised in that time this doesn't really change my opinion. It's hard to pinpoint a singular GOAT, but I don't think it's MJ
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 11:12:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Not necessarily, and especially in Jordan's case, imo.

Jordan beat Magic 4-1.
That's not an overhill Magic, that's a 31 year old, 1st All-NBA, 2nd in MVP voting, with a 25.1 PER on a 58 win team Magic Johnson.  Jordan beat prime Magic (along with prime 29 year old James Worthy).  In no universe is that not considered a worthy opponent.[/quote]

Perhaps not over the hill, but Magic was at, or at least very close to, the end of his "prime", whatever that means in this context, and speaking of Worthy, the guy injured his left ankle during game 5 of the Western Conference Finals against Portland, which not only limited him greatly in the 1991 NBA Finals, but even caused him to miss the final contest of that series, and ditto for Byron Scott. They just weren't the same players, but Worthy, in particular, was definitely hampered, and had he not sustained that injury, who knows what happens?

Personally, I believe that had the Lakers kept Michael Cooper for one last go around and pulled the trigger on the deal that they later consummated in the offseason of 1991 at the trade deadline that would have given them Sedale Threatt, well, I can't say for certain as to whether or not they would have beaten Chicago, but if you go back and look at the games played between the two teams over the following, well, two seasons, you'll find that the Lakers actually had a great deal of success against the Bulls, whether it was on the road or at The Forum, and despite the aging of their veteran core, not to mention the loss, on at least one occasion, of Vlade Divac, in a game that they still one, and by a quite sizable margin the The Chicago Stadium, at that, so again, I'm not guaranteeing that said hypothetical Lakers' team would have defeated the Bulls, but I do believe that it was definitely doable, but I'm weird, so there's that.   

Again, that Pistons' team was nowhere near being close to the caliber of their title teams, primarily due to the injuries of Zeke, who already had surgery on his wrist during the season only to injure his ankle and hamstring in the prior series against Boston and Atlanta, hence why he only played in 4 of the 6 games against the Celtics, so this is nowhere near the same Isiah Thomas who won the MVP of the 1990 NBA Finals.

Additionally, Dumars had something wrong with his big toe that had hampered him throughout the year, iirc, Vinnie Johnson had some kind of shin problem, and James Edwards had been having problems with his back (welcome to our world, Buddha. Sigh.), so again, they were not the same players, never mind the same team by the time of the 1991 Eastern Conference Finals.

That said, and while I am certainly no fan of the Bad Boys, they still had more than enough to beat Chicago at that time, imo, and I have a number of questions about that series. Mind you, I'm not saying that they just threw the, well, series, but a number of things don't add up to me, to say the least, not to mention the fact that the league changed the rules for Jordan to make the game easier for him, which had a huge impact on that, well, again, series, not to mention the rest of Jordan's career. You already couldn't breathe on the guy from the moment that he entered the league, but when he started winning titles, I mean, forget about it. He just never fouled. Anyone. Ever, and the same goes for Pippen ::). Every strip was clean, every block never made body contact, he could literally hold the jersey of his defensive assignment while the latter was shooting without being cited for an infraction, and he could bite on a pump fake, land on you, and not be called for a foul ::). I don't even care about the officials, anymore, but that's just beyond ridiculous, and let's not forget his favorite referee Jake O'Donnell ::).

So yeah, sorry KG. I love you, man, but I completely disagree. I swear, Jordan was the biggest whiner, along with Jackson and Pippen, that I've probably ever seen until the coming of Lebron. I mean, has there ever been a coach in the history of the sport who has literally whined about his opponent before every playoff series in which he was involved, whether that was Detroit, the Knicks, or us? Idk, I guess that I wouldn't care if the officials didn't always adhere to his "suggestions". Ugh.

On another front, and as someone who loves watching classic basketball, I wonder if the Knicks, with a few simple adjustments, could have beaten Chicago in 1992. That series was already incredibly close, and I would have loved to seen them employ a lineup of -

Patrick Chewing
Mase In Yo Face
The X-Man
Not Dominique
Momma there goes that man

only put Mason on Jordan, McDaniel on Grant, and Wilkins on Pippen. Of course, re-signing Trent Tucker, who was waived by Phoenix after the deal with New York involving McDaniel, could have really helped them in that series and beyond. Why couldn't the Celtics have signed him? He would have been a great fit with the 1991-92 team, imo.

Okay, rant over, lol ;D.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 06:40:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Tho IMO Jordan needed the help a little less because he had more killer instinct

This is why Jordan was better than LeBron.   It took years for LeBron to get a proper killer instinct and face it, he might have more titles if he had this killer instinct earlier in his career.

People could say this or that, who had what.   But MJ in his prime would smoke LeBron in a game of one on one.   He was far more reliable in the clutch, that isn't to say LeBron is not.   But MJ would get in his head and had one sole goal to beat people when he played.   Whereas LeBron primary goal is to promote LeBron.

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 09:16:23 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Love KG but a few things -

An argument could me made for MJ as GOAT but he had THIS GUY as his Wingman

One of the greatest SF's of all time in Scottie Pippen - whom NOBODY ever saw coming. It can be argued that Scottie was great BECAUSE OF MJ but MAN! Scottie did it ALL...

I can agree with the COMPETITION aspect of KG's comments. MJ competed at the HIGHEST level during perhaps the NBA's Golden Years, where you had intimidating Bigs patrolling the paint.

Could LeBron have dominated during Michael's time? I'm sure of it BUT he wouldn't have had access to most of the equipment / dietary information that he does today. But he still would've had that SIZE..

I always compared LeBron to Karl Malone and Kobe Bryant physically AND skill-wise. Size, speed, strength, athleticism and talent. I know that Michael played during a physical era but LeBron James was BUILT for physicality.

ALSO - KG should never forget the Social Justice groundwork that Bill Russell (and Kareem) laid -

These two Men of Standard laid the groundwork for ALL athletes to be successful AND prosperous. Didn't hurt that Bill won 11 rings (9 as player AND 2 as Coach) and Kareem won 6.

LeBron James - in the vein of both Bill AND Kareem - is doing just that...being outspoken about Social Issues in a time where it is needed.

As much as I love Michael - he did not do that until his latter years when he was out of league.

Love KG's show and commentary, though - he speaks from the heart.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:22:08 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
double post.