Author Topic: Giannis Honestly Evaluates the Bucks Future  (Read 2867 times)

Giannis Honestly Evaluates the Bucks Future
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
From the Ringer Article
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/3/30/17178150/kemba-walker-trade-destinations

This week, the good people at Bucks Reddit unearthed a YouTube video from February in which Giannis Antetokounmpo was speaking Greek to Eurohoops TV. What he said was as candid as it gets. “Nobody won a championship by himself. You have to get the right players. The front office and the general manager have to do their work, too. Everyone has to work. Everyone has to work on his part in order to win a championship,” Giannis said, according to a translation. “If I do my part and some others don’t, then a change would have to happen. If this change does not happen, then, the Bucks can move forward without me, or I can move on without the Bucks."

This echoes what I've wondered about the Bucks for awhile, and you know that Giannis sees it.

They are capped out with multi-year bad contracts like Snell, Henson, and Delly. Bledsoe and Middleton are solid starting players, but they are paying a lot of money for non-all-stars to be the 2nd and 3rd best players on the team. 

Parker is their only ticket forward, and his efficiency has been largely the same as last year, but are they really going to max or near-max him out? Some team desperate for high level talent is going to offer a near max for him (Bulls or Hawks?). Those desperate teams will think he is worth the risk, but is he worth it to a playoff team trying to get into contention?

Maker and Brogdon look like fine rotation players, nothing more. Maybe Wilson becomes a contributor, but he is probably not a future all-star. I like Brown a lot, but it doesn't look like he is starting talent.

They have few draft assets and little cap flexibility. Is their upside as high as the Celtics or the Sixers right now? Do they cap out as a 3 seed (they'd have to get past the Wizards and Raptors to do that) over the next few seasons and then lose Giannis in FA?

This is why I've thought for a while that they next big star to be available would be Giannis, not Davis. The Pelicans will likely stand pat with what they have, hoping Cousins gets back to his former self, but the Bucks have little upside to standing pat.

I love the Celtic team. Where I am at right now, I'D RATHER KEEP THIS TEAM TOGETHER AND MAKE NO MORE BIG MOVES. However, as a mental exercise, the Bucks would have to think about a Rozier, Tatum, 2019 Sac pick trade package, right?

I'm also wondering about the Magic Johnson tampering with Giannis thing from a few months ago. What if the Lakers' play is to trade Ingram, Kuzma, and filler for Giannis, and then sign James + ??.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:06:38 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

Re: Giannis Honestly Evaluates the Bucks Future
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:31:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Giannis has way too many years left on his contract for him to be on the market any time soon.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would agree that the Bucks haven't done the best job building a roster around Giannis.

With that said, I don't really understand why a team with a 6'11'' freak putting up 27-10-5 is barely above .500.

Giannis plus a bunch of adequate defenders who can shoot ought to be good enough to win 50 games.

The Bucks have consistently been less dangerous than I would have expected since Giannis took the leap to superstardom.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I would agree that the Bucks haven't done the best job building a roster around Giannis.

With that said, I don't really understand why a team with a 6'11'' freak putting up 27-10-5 is barely above .500.

Giannis plus a bunch of adequate defenders who can shoot ought to be good enough to win 50 games.

The Bucks have consistently been less dangerous than I would have expected since Giannis took the leap to superstardom.

Unless you are Lebron or MJ smart coaches have figured out how to shut down super stars. Does it always work? Nope they are superstars for a reason but you can certainly see coaches have the Bucks number. Don't fear that team at all right now even with a player many deem to be the next great.

I hope he stays I'm tired of superstars clumping together.
ok fine

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 01:39:48 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Unless you are Lebron or MJ smart coaches have figured out how to shut down super stars. Does it always work? Nope they are superstars for a reason but you can certainly see coaches have the Bucks number. Don't fear that team at all right now even with a player many deem to be the next great.

I hope he stays I'm tired of superstars clumping together.
This is the first thing that popped into my head when I read the last sentence of the OP quote from Giannis. But if it happens with the C's who am to complain then? It just looks like it's the way the game is headed so unless there will be rule changes in the future there is nothing you can do. Some of these superstars will make money with their original team to the point where some of them won't ask to be maxed-out to sign with a contender.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
He's forcing his owners to be accountable.  I don't have an issue with that. There's clearly something not quite right with that team because they've underachieved somewhat based on their talent level.  it's up to ownership to solve it and apparently they're not on the same page when it comes to running the team.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Kevin Garnett didn't win 50 games until his 5th season and in his 12 seasons in Minnesota had just 4 50 win seasons with 3 seasons at 33 or less wins (including his last 2 years there).  KG didn't win a playoff series until his 9th year when the Wolves made the WCF and that was the last time the Wolves made the playoffs (so he finished at just 2 playoff series wins and 8 playoff series losses).  KG was putting up better numbers than Giannis. 

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 03:40:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Kevin Garnett didn't win 50 games until his 5th season and in his 12 seasons in Minnesota had just 4 50 win seasons with 3 seasons at 33 or less wins (including his last 2 years there).  KG didn't win a playoff series until his 9th year when the Wolves made the WCF and that was the last time the Wolves made the playoffs (so he finished at just 2 playoff series wins and 8 playoff series losses).  KG was putting up better numbers than Giannis.
So we shouldn't be too worried about Milwaukee because even KG took a long time to get 50 wins and make it past the first round of the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 03:44:02 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
He's forcing his owners to be accountable.  I don't have an issue with that. There's clearly something not quite right with that team because they've underachieved somewhat based on their talent level.  it's up to ownership to solve it and apparently they're not on the same page when it comes to running the team.

Yep.  He is basically saying "you hired a crap coach, and you have little talent around me, why should I trust you?"

If Ainge ran the bucks Parker and Brogdon would have been traded already.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

It's a fair point, although I think the West was harder back then than the East is now.

If I were running the Bucks I'd keep Brogdon, Bledsoe, Middleton next to Giannis and then try to swap out all the other pieces for anybody who can shoot and is willing to do so regularly.

Part of their problem is that their top three point shooter, Mirza Teletovic, developed some bad medical conditions and is probably done.  They really need a deadly 3 point shooter at the 4.

Too bad they didn't hold onto J.J. Redick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

So we shouldn't be too worried about Milwaukee because even KG took a long time to get 50 wins and make it past the first round of the playoffs.
Maybe, maybe not.  Giannis has the potential to take over games like few players in the league.  He could easily drop 40, grab 15 boards, and dish out 10 assists and win games that way.  And he does have a bit more talent around him than KG generally had. 

I'd rather play the Bucks then the Wizards (especially if Wall is back), but I'd much rather play the Heat than the Bucks because what Giannis can do is scary.  So if Cleveland ends up as the 3 seed, I'd want Miami to be 8, Milwaukee 7, and Washington 6.  I think the Wizards could potentially challenge the Cavs (or at least make them work for it) giving Boston a better shot in the 2nd round.  If Cleveland falls to the 4 or 5 seed, then I would want to swap Washington and Miami, such that the Wizards would play the Raptors, potentially challenging them and then Miami would play either Philly or Indiana (ideally Indiana) with the other taking on the Cavs (ideally they would face Philly).

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 05:32:02 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Meh Bucks are too small, play too soft. They went all in on small ball and now are really underachieving...

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Maybe, maybe not.  Giannis has the potential to take over games like few players in the league.  He could easily drop 40, grab 15 boards, and dish out 10 assists and win games that way.  And he does have a bit more talent around him than KG generally had. 

I'd rather play the Bucks then the Wizards (especially if Wall is back), but I'd much rather play the Heat than the Bucks because what Giannis can do is scary.  So if Cleveland ends up as the 3 seed, I'd want Miami to be 8, Milwaukee 7, and Washington 6.  I think the Wizards could potentially challenge the Cavs (or at least make them work for it) giving Boston a better shot in the 2nd round.  If Cleveland falls to the 4 or 5 seed, then I would want to swap Washington and Miami, such that the Wizards would play the Raptors, potentially challenging them and then Miami would play either Philly or Indiana (ideally Indiana) with the other taking on the Cavs (ideally they would face Philly).

I agree that Giannis is one of the few guys that can truly take over and dominate a game, but somehow it feels different than when Lebron does it.

It seems like Giannis (at this point in his career) dominates box scores, not final scores. He impacts winning, but not to the same extent Lebron does.

His ability to leverage his play into wins might make the difference between a 40 win and a 50 win team with him at the helm.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
LeBron is a better passer and ball handler than Giannis. He also manages/coaches the team. He dictates the entire offense with absolute control. The last thing is a blessing and a curse. It helps him max out his potential but its also why Irving, IT, Crowder and even Wade are out of Cleveland imo.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:57:58 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 04:42:52 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
He is basically saying trade me or i will leave

When you have to say like that to someone to do something it's already to a point that relationship isn't going to last