Author Topic: Thomas will undego hip Surgery  (Read 4132 times)

Re: Thomas will undego hip Surgery
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Wish him the best going forward.

I think if LAL strikes out on FA's, they give Isaiah a 1 year, near-max kind of contract. Could also be a "trade chip" for LAL at the deadline next year if they feel they can land a star, and Isaiah is an expiring and "salary filler".

Otherwise, maybe a team like ORL or NYK offers him around 2/36M (3rd year option)

Max?? Nah. MLE maybe. Definitely not more than $10m, even for one year. That's wasting money for money's sake.

I think there are teams out there who may strike out on huge names and overpay on a one year deal to roll over the cap space to the following offseason and try again.

On a multi-year deal, the injury prevented any type of $20M per season contract. But on a one year deal he could see something closer to that than the MLE.

All depends on his hip, obviously.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's unfortunate that he's never going to live down that "Brink's Truck" comment.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
A "minimally invasive procedure", no less.  Lots of parallels remain.

Really hope it works out for him.  That playoff run with us probably cost him an absurd amount of money.  He deserves better than his body breaking down now.

That's really tough news for IT. He lost a ton of money in the long run, and may never get a chance to recover some of that $$ ever again. I just can't see him on the wrong side of 30 returning from hip surgery and recapturing all-star status again.

The comparison to Kyrie though is very different. Kyrie is 26, will be playing in the postseason, and will certainly get max money on his next deal.

It's going to get harder and harder for other GMs to be willing to talk trade with Ainge. He's just consistently making too many of them look very bad.

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 07:17:21 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think the battery died on that Brinks truck.

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It's unfortunate that he's never going to live down that "Brink's Truck" comment.

bad self  karma with that comment .  he put a hex on mhimself

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 08:03:27 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He'll be fine they said. He'll be the same player he was last year they said.

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I hope for one of two outcomes: a) A struggling team without a face to the franchise (e.g., Knicks) overpays Isaiah on a short-term contract; b) He's given an opportunity by a contender (even as a sixth man) to compete on the big stage again.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Not all hip surgeries are created equally.  This surgery isn’t to fix his labrum or the impingement.

This is just a scope to clean up debris, which will hopefully relieve pain and irritation.  In other words, the underlying issue will still remain, he will just hopefully be able to tolerate it more.

Wouldn't shock me if the scope was more exploratory than a straight clean up. Dr. Kelly may end up getting in there and deciding the repair is necessary.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Imagine how royally screwed Ainge would be had he signed IT to a long term big contract. We'd would have IT go down about 25 games into the season, and require surgery on it. we would have a mediocre season.  this guy is gonna get a min contract

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 08:23:10 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Not all hip surgeries are created equally.  This surgery isn’t to fix his labrum or the impingement.

This is just a scope to clean up debris, which will hopefully relieve pain and irritation.  In other words, the underlying issue will still remain, he will just hopefully be able to tolerate it more.

Wouldn't shock me if the scope was more exploratory than a straight clean up. Dr. Kelly may end up getting in there and deciding the repair is necessary.

Yes. I recently had surgery to insert a small plate on my wrist and woke up with a 12" metal rod in my arm.  From what I've read, the more invasive surgery often results in a return to play but only after an extended period of time.  Hoping for the best, but not a good situation.

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 09:49:56 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yes. I recently had surgery to insert a small plate on my wrist and woke up with a 12" metal rod in my arm.  From what I've read, the more invasive surgery often results in a return to play but only after an extended period of time.  Hoping for the best, but not a good situation.

As great as imaging is now, there's just some things you can't see until you get in there. That's why the C's held off on giving specifics about Kyrie's knee scope. The imaging might've looked good, but there was always a chance that there could be something that didn't show up. I've seen it from a clinical side enough times, but I also dealt with it a few years ago as a patient after screwing up my ankle. Thought I was going in for a ligament reconstruction but I also had some cartilage damage that wasn't seen on my MRI so I feel your pain Tar.

As far as IT, I don't know any of the specifics of his case - exactly how bad the tear is or how severe the impingement is. Hopefully, it's simple debridement and he can get some relief.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 11:21:56 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I hope for one of two outcomes: a) A struggling team without a face to the franchise (e.g., Knicks) overpays Isaiah on a short-term contract; b) He's given an opportunity by a contender (even as a sixth man) to compete on the big stage again.

If I'm the Knicks, I think about signing IT to a 2 yr, $20m deal. He would be a good complement to Frank Ntilikina and Porzingis. They don't need to negotiate against themselves, so if truly no other team gives IT an offer over the minimum, they get him on the cheap. I still think there's going to be one sucker that spends the money. Every FA period there's a bad contract handed out.

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 12:05:24 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

As great as imaging is now, there's just some things you can't see until you get in there. That's why the C's held off on giving specifics about Kyrie's knee scope. The imaging might've looked good, but there was always a chance that there could be something that didn't show up. I've seen it from a clinical side enough times, but I also dealt with it a few years ago as a patient after screwing up my ankle. Thought I was going in for a ligament reconstruction but I also had some cartilage damage that wasn't seen on my MRI so I feel your pain Tar.

As far as IT, I don't know any of the specifics of his case - exactly how bad the tear is or how severe the impingement is. Hopefully, it's simple debridement and he can get some relief.

Sorry to hear you've had a similar experience.  We're moving from x-ray to CT for the next scan to gauge bone regrowth by slice, surrounding the rod/plate.

I've read articles that indicate surgery helps with his condition, but none in which athletes played through the FAI and labral tear.  If we pretend the injury severity is mild-moderate, does rest or some other non-surgical intervention sound unreasonable? 

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 12:09:37 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

If I'm the Knicks, I think about signing IT to a 2 yr, $20m deal. He would be a good complement to Frank Ntilikina and Porzingis. They don't need to negotiate against themselves, so if truly no other team gives IT an offer over the minimum, they get him on the cheap. I still think there's going to be one sucker that spends the money. Every FA period there's a bad contract handed out.

Me too.  I'm sure the Knicks are making money anyway, but their poor fans need something to get excited about.  I agree that a PnR with Zinger would be fun to watch.  If nothing else, IT would fill seats and aide in Ntilikina's development.

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 12:30:05 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Sorry to hear you've had a similar experience.  We're moving from x-ray to CT for the next scan to gauge bone regrowth by slice, surrounding the rod/plate.

I've read articles that indicate surgery helps with his condition, but none in which athletes played through the FAI and labral tear.  If we pretend the injury severity is mild-moderate, does rest or some other non-surgical intervention sound unreasonable?

Solely my opinion, but I think he should've had surgery last year. I understand why he didn't - big season before the most important free agency of his career, try to manage symptoms until you can get a long term deal. With the right physical therapy plan and adequate pain management, you can maintain it for awhile. If he wasn't a pro athlete, he could absolutely go through life like that but being that he is, the surgery feels inevitable.
2021 Houston Rockets