Author Topic: Thomas will undego hip Surgery  (Read 4122 times)

Thomas will undego hip Surgery
« on: March 28, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Breaking news on ESPN.

Re: Thomas will undego hip Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
A "minimally invasive procedure", no less.  Lots of parallels remain.

Really hope it works out for him.  That playoff run with us probably cost him an absurd amount of money.  He deserves better than his body breaking down now.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 01:55:37 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I hate seeing IT going through this when he played his heart out for the C's.  He will have to sign a 1 year prove it deal next year.  Feel bad for a dude who helped turned around this team.  I will always root for this guy.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 01:56:23 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

So sick of feeling sorry for these guys that don't make 100 million dollars. He's made over 30 million dollars and he's 28 years old. How many people here have made that type of money.

People desire too much nowadays. 10 million is more than enough for you and your family if your smart and invest wisely. Poor guy. Give me a break.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Lakers should probably renege on the deal and ask Cleveland for a 2nd round pick  :P

But seriously though, that sucks so much. Wish him the best.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:06:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Wish him the best going forward.

I think if LAL strikes out on FA's, they give Isaiah a 1 year, near-max kind of contract. Could also be a "trade chip" for LAL at the deadline next year if they feel they can land a star, and Isaiah is an expiring and "salary filler".

Otherwise, maybe a team like ORL or NYK offers him around 2/36M (3rd year option)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

So sick of feeling sorry for these guys that don't make 100 million dollars. He's made over 30 million dollars and he's 28 years old. How many people here have made that type of money.

People desire too much nowadays. 10 million is more than enough for you and your family if your smart and invest wisely. Poor guy. Give me a break.

He also probably is dealing with a lot of physical pain and will probably be in some pretty severe pain when he is older from this.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

I think if LAL strikes out on FA's, they give Isaiah a 1 year, near-max kind of contract. Could also be a "trade chip" for LAL at the deadline next year if they feel they can land a star, and Isaiah is an expiring and "salary filler".

Otherwise, maybe a team like ORL or NYK offers him around 2/36M (3rd year option)
No way will his market, even for a 1 year make-good deal, be anywhere near that high.  He's lucky to get $10MM for a one year deal is my guess.  Also, he's not an expiring, he's a FA.  Can't be a trade chip unless the other team is just unloading someone - in which case the Lakers probably wouldn't want who the other team is shipping out.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 03:02:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

If it helps soothe the pain none of us are gonna actually do anything for the guy.  It's the "thoughts and prayers" of the athlete injury world.

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 04:26:05 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Max?? Nah. MLE maybe. Definitely not more than $10m, even for one year. That's wasting money for money's sake.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 04:29:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I hate seeing IT going through this when he played his heart out for the C's.  He will have to sign a 1 year prove it deal next year.  Feel bad for a dude who helped turned around this team.  I will always root for this guy.

yeah a one year deal with a SUCK team most likely .  Most teams all have star point guards anyway .

His history of not wanting to come off the bench and wanting a max .....yada yada yada....is not going to help his cause .

He is going to,have to suck it up and start over like he was in Phoenix waiting for the next Boston.

That said ....i wish he would sign with Boston .

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 04:31:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I view this analogous to the old saying "I would rather have loved and lost than never had loved at all".  Thomas was a second round pick, the last pick in fact in the entire draft.  Somehow the stars aligned and he played for one season better than anyone would have ever expected, even him I bet if he was truly honest. 

I think his hip was going to fail at some point no matter what.  It wasn't that he played 5 too many or 10 too many playoff games.  His hip is the result of his entire career, actually wasn't he born with some defect?  I don't think he is ever going to have another season like 2016-17, hip, no hip, whatever; that was a once in a lifetime thing.

So you think he would trade last season for a healthy hip or do you think he will look back on that season the rest of his life as the best year of his life?

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not all hip surgeries are created equally.  This surgery isn’t to fix his labrum or the impingement.

This is just a scope to clean up debris, which will hopefully relieve pain and irritation.  In other words, the underlying issue will still remain, he will just hopefully be able to tolerate it more.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 04:51:08 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Hip Hip Hooray!

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
IT was an exciting player when he was here and I am happy for him that he got to shine on a team tailor-made for his talents. Unfortunately [for him] his contract ended one year too late.

Still, even if he were healthy, I am just not sure how much he would have been paid this offseason. As has been mentioned numerous times, there is just not as much money out there, and a lot of teams either have near All-Star caliber PGs or ones they are grooming for that role.

IT was amazing for one season, and pretty impressive for a few before that, but people always knew that he would eventually age. And, for a 5'8ish PG who relies on his athleticism to even get his shot off, that was never going to be a recipe for a long-term max contract.

Hopefully, for his sake, he can prove to teams next year that he is still a 20ppg scorer and get a 3-4 year deal that will make all parties happy.