Author Topic: James thinks he should be MVP  (Read 3622 times)

Re: James thinks he should be MVP
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 04:27:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
LBJ PR guy with an eloquent ode to Lebron per usual on the influencer topic.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22924664/lebron-james-changed-game-basketball-prodigy-nba

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 04:46:25 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He has a valid argument. 

The Cavs would have been utterly irrelevant this year if it weren't for LeBron.

Are we sure they are relevant? They have the same record as the Pacers and 76ers right now? Will have to see how they do in the playoffs to know if they even are.

They'll likely have homecourt in the first round. Without James that same team is probably one of the 3-6 worst teams in the league, I'd say.

Harden is my MVP this season but I have no problem with Lebron, a 4-time MVP having one of the best statistical seasons of his career, saying he deserves it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 04:50:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
He has a valid argument. 

Are we sure they are relevant? They have the same record as the Pacers and 76ers right now? Will have to see how they do in the playoffs to know if they even are.

They'll likely have homecourt in the first round. Without James that same team is probably one of the 3-6 worst teams in the league, I'd say.

Harden is my MVP this season but I have no problem with Lebron, a 4-time MVP having one of the best statistical seasons of his career, saying he deserves it.

I don't really get how you can say with a straight face that a team with Love, Hood, Hill, Korver, Nance, Thompson Clarkson etc (and earlier crowder, wade) is not significantly better than a Knicks team that doesn't even have Porzingas. Than a magic team with nobody. Than a Nets team with nobody. Than a Hawks team with nobody. Than a bulls team with nobody. Than a Kings team with nobody. Than a suns team that looks like an AAU squad.  So yea.. that just strikes me as ridiculous. People realize Love made the all-star team this year right?

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
James Harden kept Houston more than afloat despite Paul missing over 20 games earlier this season. Not only is his team much better, but he has been scoring more and has more WS and a better PER (I know, not people's favorite stats).

On the team comparison, it's true that Paul missed about 20 games, but so did Kevin Love. Also, IT missed essentially the entire season. For a lot of the year it was LBJ and some pretty limited  role players, so I really don't think it's reasonable to credit Harden without crediting LBJ as well.

I guess, but it's not like the two teams have the same record. Houston Currently has 61 wins while the Cavs are an astonishing 17 games behind them with 44 wins.

And I generally agree with your take of Harden's way of scoring, but he is taking advantage of the rules and doing it an elite level. Curry - a two-time MVP winner - has done the same thing with the no hand-checking rule.

I get it, Lebron is an incredible player. And more recently the Cavs have been playing much better, but you can't discount just how bad they were earlier in the year. Houston has been dominant throughout the year and even more dominant recently.

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
James Harden kept Houston more than afloat despite Paul missing over 20 games earlier this season. Not only is his team much better, but he has been scoring more and has more WS and a better PER (I know, not people's favorite stats).

On the team comparison, it's true that Paul missed about 20 games, but so did Kevin Love. Also, IT missed essentially the entire season. For a lot of the year it was LBJ and some pretty limited  role players, so I really don't think it's reasonable to credit Harden without crediting LBJ as well.

I guess, but it's not like the two teams have the same record. Houston Currently has 61 wins while the Cavs are an astonishing 17 games behind them with 44 wins.

And I generally agree with your take of Harden's way of scoring, but he is taking advantage of the rules and doing it an elite level. Curry - a two-time MVP winner - has done the same thing with the no hand-checking rule.

I get it, Lebron is an incredible player. And more recently the Cavs have been playing much better, but you can't discount just how bad they were earlier in the year. Houston has been dominant throughout the year and even more dominant recently.
Houston is also 6-3 without Harden, let's not pretend they don't have a stacked team because they absolutely do.

I'd go Harden, Davis, James as my top 3 this year, but I wouldn't cry foul if any one of those 3 won the award. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 06:12:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He has a valid argument. 

I don't really get how you can say with a straight face that a team with Love, Hood, Hill, Korver, Nance, Thompson Clarkson etc (and earlier crowder, wade) is not significantly better than a Knicks team that doesn't even have Porzingas. Than a magic team with nobody. Than a Nets team with nobody. Than a Hawks team with nobody. Than a bulls team with nobody. Than a Kings team with nobody. Than a suns team that looks like an AAU squad.  So yea.. that just strikes me as ridiculous. People realize Love made the all-star team this year right?

I have some problems with your premise. For one, you're counting the Cavs as having Love but the Knicks as not having Porzingis even though Love has only played 5 more games than the Zinger (and will miss more due ot concussion protocol).

For another you're talking about this Cavs team like it's been together all season when it hasn't.

As for the players you listed: Hood and Clarkson are, at best, incredibly streaky, Hill is washed, Korver is nearly washed and can only do one thing and only because James is setting him up, and Thompson has been garbage all year. That leaves Nance, who I like, and who doesn't create offense for himself and would be the nice story on this trash pile of a team if James wasn't on it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
He has a valid argument. 

I have some problems with your premise. For one, you're counting the Cavs as having Love but the Knicks as not having Porzingis even though Love has only played 5 more games than the Zinger (and will miss more due ot concussion protocol).

For another you're talking about this Cavs team like it's been together all season when it hasn't.

As for the players you listed: Hood and Clarkson are, at best, incredibly streaky, Hill is washed, Korver is nearly washed and can only do one thing and only because James is setting him up, and Thompson has been garbage all year. That leaves Nance, who I like, and who doesn't create offense for himself and would be the nice story on this trash pile of a team if James wasn't on it.

I guess you have a fair point about the zinger part, but the Knicks were pretty bad even when he went down. The rest of it, is again, pretty laughable in my mind to call the Cavs a bottom 3 or 6 team in the NBA whether you are talking about them pre-deadline or post-deadline.
Love is a bonafide all-star.
Sacramento, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, Phoenix, Brooklyn don't even have players that would sniff the all-star game. If you look at the rosters of most of these teams they are not NBA Caliber teams.
I like to bash on some of the Cavs role players as much as anyone, but they are leagues above the d-league teams that these bottom feeder teams are putting out there.
So for the first 50 games you have Love, Crowder, Wade, Thompson, Korver, Smith etc. That team is mopping the floor with any of these tanking teams and it isn't particularly close.

I've seen a lot of people downplaying Lebron's help over the years, but somebody saying a Cavs team with a roster full of playoff experienced vets and the highest payroll in the league is on par without the kings, nets, suns, bulls, hawks of the world without Lebron is beyond asinine in my opinion and I really don't know how you can believe that.

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 06:43:20 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm certainly not a LeBron fan, but this year he has done everything but sweep out the arena. He's had some incredible triple-doubles. Without him, the Cavs would struggle to win 20 games. 

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is his own best fan.   I don't think he deserves it and a lot of you are wrong.   For half a year his team was a disaster and they had to ship out people who could play with him.   That being said, he is the best player on the planet.   But he is also a guy who can't play well with others and blames his coach at the first mishap.

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 08:04:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I have few good feelings for LeBron, but I agree that he deserves MVP.

The MVP is a tricky award because different people have different definitions for what it means, but if it means "best player," I think it has to be LeBron, because he's still the best all-around player on the planet and has been for many years. And if it means "most valuable to his team," I still think it should go to LeBron, because I think a LeBron-less Cavs team would be worse than a Harden-less Rockets team.

Then again, I think the MVP award is mostly useless, just like the Oscars—both often boil down to trendiness, and I generally despise trendiness. And since I dislike Harden as much as I dislike LeBron, I don't really care which one of them gets it.

Besides all that, I want championship banners, not individual awards.
that logic would probably check out if the Rockets and Cavs were equal. They arent. The Rockets are 17 games ahead of the Cavs.

Harden has been way more valuable and will deservedly run away with the award.

It will be a blowout and no one else will receive serious consideration.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
At this point in my career, I’m just trying to break the mold, break the narrative of guys in their 15th year. ... I’m trying to do things that have never been done before,” James said. “It’s crazy because I’m not setting out to do it. It’s just kind of happening organically."

That is a real think piece.
How can someone say something like this and not vomit
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 08:24:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
At this point in my career, I’m just trying to break the mold, break the narrative of guys in their 15th year. ... I’m trying to do things that have never been done before,” James said. “It’s crazy because I’m not setting out to do it. It’s just kind of happening organically."

That is a real think piece.

"I'm trying to do things..." 

"What's crazy is...I'm not trying to do things..."
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
what a humble, self absorbed, vain piece of @@#$@#4

this is why not many around the league likes him

except Dwade, Bosh and his pets

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 10:17:46 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I think I would prefer to have LeBron on this Celtics roster instead of Harden. I think.

So, there's that..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 11:12:45 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
what a humble, self absorbed, vain piece of @@#$@#4

this is why not many around the league likes him

except Dwade, Bosh and his pets

Bosh does not like him. Everyone likes a humble person so if he was as smart as he think he is he'd be humble and his brand would EXPLODE!
ok fine