Author Topic: Race for 3rd spot in East - Celtics possible 2nd round matchup  (Read 7047 times)

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
With the caveat that I don't want to jinx the Cs in their first round matchup, the race for who gets the 3rd spot in the East in certainly interesting to us as it would likely be the C's second round matchup.

Currently, Cleveland is one game ahead of Philly for that spot 44-29 to 43-30, but Cleveland has the harder remaining schedule.  Also, Cleveland is 2-1 in head to head vs. Philly but they have one game remaining in Philly on 4/6.  Indy is 2 games back in loss column, but very tough schedule, so I'm not including them below.

Cleveland remaining schedule:
----------------------------------
@ MIA
@ CHAR
vs NO
vs DALL
vs TOR
vs WASH
@ PHIL
@ NYK
vs NYK

Philly remaining schedule:
-----------------------------
vs NYK
@ ATL
@ CHAR
vs BKN
@ DET
vs CLE
vs DALL
@ ATL
vs MIL

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:36:07 AM by libermaniac »

Re: Race for 3rd spot in East - Celtics possible 2nd round matchup
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 02:09:40 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
last 4 of 5 will likely be wins...i think toronto will lose on purpose to help cleveland stay out of their bracket and washington may also lose to try for 7th seed...NY will tank both

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 02:21:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
last 4 of 5 will likely be wins...i think toronto will lose on purpose to help cleveland stay out of their bracket and washington may also lose to try for 7th seed...NY will tank both

Not if we beat them. Then they risk losing 1st place to us.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 02:41:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I object to this thread.  Let's win the 1st round before we start talking about the 2nd round.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I object to this thread.  Let's win the 1st round before we start talking about the 2nd round.

Agreed.  If the C's can get out of the first round without Smart and Irving (potentially), then we can look at competition, with a better idea of who the C's will even have on the court.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Sixers, Bucks are easy matchups, Heat and Watchinton not so much
I will rather play Cavs then Raptors, we have bigs now to handle or even punch theirs and we have semi to lock down Lebron. if Smart make it back 2nd round we have big chance knock out the Cavs

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
I assume you are joking. I put the non-jinx caveat in my OP. Other than that it’s like saying why ever look to the future? Do you object to threads involving our draft picks, etc? Let’s worry about this season before worrying about draft picks.  :o
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:09:40 PM by libermaniac »

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 04:10:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I assume you are joking. I put the non-jinx caveat in my OP. Orher than that it’s like saying why ever look to the future? Do you object to threads involving our draft picks, etc? Let’s worry about this season before worrying about draft picks.  :o
Not at all.  I think it is perfectly reasonable to talk about Cleveland and Philly's chances of the 3rd seed, but I feel weird about doing it in the context of likely opponents for Boston, since Boston and that other team actually have to win.

That said, I want Boston to avoid the potential of having to play both Cleveland and Toronto, so here's hoping Philly catches Cleveland.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I assume you are joking. I put the non-jinx caveat in my OP. Orher than that it’s like saying why ever look to the future? Do you object to threads involving our draft picks, etc? Let’s worry about this season before worrying about draft picks.  :o
Not at all.  I think it is perfectly reasonable to talk about Cleveland and Philly's chances of the 3rd seed, but I feel weird about doing it in the context of likely opponents for Boston, since Boston and that other team actually have to win.

That said, I want Boston to avoid the potential of having to play both Cleveland and Toronto, so here's hoping Philly catches Cleveland.

I also think it is hard to really discuss matchups for the C's, when there is so much variability of who would even be playing in the second round, assuming they make it.  For example, my answers for this vary considerably if Smart is playing or not, and even moreso if there is no Irving.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff

I also think it is hard to really discuss matchups for the C's, when there is so much variability of who would even be playing in the second round, assuming they make it.  For example, my answers for this vary considerably if Smart is playing or not, and even moreso if there is no Irving.
Any way you slice it any team other than Cleveland is preferable to Cleveland. If they get 4 then the Cs would avoid them until the ECF. If, in fact, the Cs are fortunate enough to make it that far. So no harm in rooting for Cleveland to fall to 4th.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 03:36:23 AM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
UPDATED:  Cle 44-30, Phil 43-30

Cleveland remaining schedule:
----------------------------------
@ MIA - L
@ CHAR
vs NO
vs DALL
vs TOR
vs WASH
@ PHIL
@ NYK
vs NYK

Philly remaining schedule:
-----------------------------
vs NYK
@ ATL
@ CHAR
vs BKN
@ DET
vs CLE
vs DALL
@ ATL
vs MIL

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 05:46:07 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Super weird that we would probably be best placed for a title run if the first series goes 7...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 06:55:35 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Super weird that we would probably be best placed for a title run if the first series goes 7...

Or even better: If the team we (hopefully) are playing in the 2nd Round goes 7!

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I assume you are joking. I put the non-jinx caveat in my OP. Other than that it’s like saying why ever look to the future? Do you object to threads involving our draft picks, etc? Let’s worry about this season before worrying about draft picks.  :o

As fans there is nothing wrong with speculating about the future, or what-ifs scenario. We can speculate about a possible finals matchup and it wont affect the team in any way. Why is a mod objecting to it? Are such discussions not allowed in CB anymore?

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

As fans there is nothing wrong with speculating about the future, or what-ifs scenario. We can speculate about a possible finals matchup and it wont affect the team in any way. Why is a mod objecting to it? Are such discussions not allowed in CB anymore?

Yep, it's exactly what fans do. I mean, how many people have looked at Golden State's injuries and thought that a title might just be a little more realistic? There's no guarantee anyone is getting to the finals. It's not like we're actually game planning here.