Author Topic: Patriots trade Cooks to Rams for 1st round pick!  (Read 2709 times)

Patriots trade Cooks to Rams for 1st round pick!
« on: April 03, 2018, 06:31:36 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Patriots trade WR Brandin Cooks and fourth-round pick to Rams for No. 23 pick in the 2018 draft. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23019268/new-england-patriots-trading-brandin-cooks-los-angeles-rams
Let's Go Celtics!!

Re: Patriots trade Cooks to Rams for 1st round pick!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I get it, but it pains me.

Where’s our deep threat? Hogan and/or Mitchell I guess

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:39:13 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Wow. I did NOT see this one coming.

I get it, but it pains me.

Where’s our deep threat? Hogan and/or Mitchell I guess

Hogan's a pretty good deep threat. Not sure about Mitchell, as he's still developing, but he's certainly a good receiver, generally speaking.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So do they package the first rounders to the Giants for Odell Beckham Jr?

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 06:58:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Rams are going to be serious threat in the NFC if not the favorite

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
This might sound reactionary, but for me this completely makes up for getting a 2nd round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo. Taking advantage of the LA hype train by trading away an overrated -frankly soft- wide receiver who only had somewhat good chemistry with Tom Brady for a first rounder is a coup.

If they trade it for Odell gravy, we reach uncharted territories in offensive talent.

If they use the picks I believe that Belichick will build this team for either the present or the future whichever makes more sense, but I'm all for this transaction.

Calling the Rams all in play while dumping Brandon Cooks for a first? Thats the kind of move that dynastic franchises make. I bet the Rams meanwhile are just a has been team within 3 years.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This might sound reactionary, but for me this completely makes up for getting a 2nd round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo. Taking advantage of the LA hype train by trading away an overrated -frankly soft- wide receiver who only had somewhat good chemistry with Tom Brady for a first rounder is a coup.

If they trade it for Odell gravy, we reach uncharted territories in offensive talent.

If they use the picks I believe that Belichick will build this team for either the present or the future whichever makes more sense, but I'm all for this transaction.

Calling the Rams all in play while dumping Brandon Cooks for a first? Thats the kind of move that dynastic franchises make. I bet the Rams meanwhile are just a has been team within 3 years.

I don't think the Rams would mind being a has-been team in 3 years.  Their fear should be being a never-was team in 3 years
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So do they package the first rounders to the Giants for Odell Beckham Jr?
Doubt it, but OBJ/Gronk/Edelman would be Brady's best receiving core ever.

No I'm not forgetting '07 which was a better team and a better offense, but NOT a better host of targets.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t understand a “win now” team with an aging QB giving up its #1 receiver. Cooks will almost certainly generate more value over the next two seasons than the draft pick.

Unless there’s a follow up move, I don’t like it for the Pats, good value or not.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 07:59:13 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I don’t understand a “win now” team with an aging QB giving up its #1 receiver. Cooks will almost certainly generate more value over the next two seasons than the draft pick.

Unless there’s a follow up move, I don’t like it for the Pats, good value or not.

Cooks would be the #3 receiver next year behind Edelman and Gronk for what it’s worth
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I just saw this scroll across the bottom of my television. I think this is great value given that the Pats were unlikely to give him a big pay day next off-season. I understand people being unsure of this move for the immediate future (Brady isn't getting any younger), but we didn't have Cooks when we won our last two Super Bowls and I imagine there is a plan to shore up the WR position with Amendola also gone. Edelman and Mitchell returning should also really help.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 08:11:30 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I’d feel better if Amendola was still here, but Malcolm Mitchell will be back and hopefully Edelman will be back close to 100%.  I like Bill operating on draft day with 23, 31, and 43.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Love my Pats and still think Brady and this dynasty has at least 2-3 years left (barring major injury), but dang, from the Super Bowl to now, the Patriots are really making a lot of questionable moves IMO. Honestly most of this summer will probably be filled with doubts/questions about this team and whether they can make the SB next year.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 09:42:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
We still have Kenny Britt.  He will probably do more for us than Cooks did.  Malcolm Mitchell needs to prove he can stay on the field (I have my doubts) but with Edelman and Hogan along with Britt, we should be fine.  Draft some O-Line depth with the picks.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 09:59:51 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Patriots have needs at tackle, WR, and could use a playmaker or two on the defense. They will get Hightower back and this kid Clayborn might be good.

I highly doubt that Bill stands pat with those draft picks. While I'm not sure Odell Beckham is the target, I'd be ok with a Larry Fitz/Dez Bryant type wideout. While I much prefer Fitz, both are physical receivers that can go up and get a ball.

Scarnecchia will have the opportunity to either identify a potentially available tackle in the NFL or pick one of the better tackles available in the draft.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:05:20 PM by green_bballers13 »