Author Topic: Kyrie to have Knee Procedure  (Read 10165 times)

Re: Kyrie to have Knee Procedure
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2018, 05:16:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Listen to Adam Kaufman podcast interview with Duke orthopedic surgeon. If just removing screws (20% likelihood), 6-8 week recovery. If necessary to scrape cartilage, 6-8 month recovery. Doc feels 80% chance Kyrie’s knee problem is arthritis/cartilage damage that will affect him the rest of his career. I’m paraphrasing but man that interview was alarming. Sure hope he is wrong but bottom line is I’d be very surprised if Kyrie returns this season or playoffs, and I pray he will be able to resume his play next year without pain.

Sorry to share such a gloomy forecast.

While this doesn't necessarily mean that Kyrie cannot play and play well, it certainly makes it more likely that he will not play or play well.

I stand by an earlier point I made:  Danny needs to take a whole lot of crap for this.  This injury was known and gave away a top-5 picks for Kyrie.

This trade is biting him real bad now...
lol no it isnt. Isaiah Thomas is currently coming off the bench for a ****ty lakers team. Jae Crowder is shooting 41/33/82 while coming off the bench for the Jazz. The Nets are likely to finish with the 6th best draft odds.

We on the other hand, have Kyrie Irving who has led us to the 2 seed in the East.

We currently are winners in the trade and it's not close.

IT lead the team to the #1 seed in the East, so that is pointless.

We also don't have Kyrie Irving for very long.  He has one more year on his contract, and now he has a confirmed kneed problem that Ainge even said he will have to deal with his whole career.  Are you going to give that guy a max contract after 2019?  If not, he will likely walk, and then they will have nothing to show for that trade.

I am a huge Danny Ainge supporter but he needs to get dumped on for this situation.  This is not a freak injury.  It was known, he bought it, and now the trade looks shaky at best.
Absolutely. Without blinking.

Even if he has a chronic knee injury that may force him to miss playoff games, or at least play poorly?
I don't have enough info to make the determination, but based on the information available to the public right now?

I'm giving that guy a blank contract and he can fill it in.

Bingo!  we have a winner.  He will get the max (whatever that is for him), and good to hear no long term damage to his knee.  He will probably be back in the 2nd round if we can win 1 series.  I love it how the sky is falling here before we even really know what is going on.  lol

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2018, 06:46:54 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Good to hear the knee is structurally sound. 3-4 weeks is not too bad.

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2018, 07:02:15 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Listen to Adam Kaufman podcast interview with Duke orthopedic surgeon. If just removing screws (20% likelihood), 6-8 week recovery. If necessary to scrape cartilage, 6-8 month recovery. Doc feels 80% chance Kyrie’s knee problem is arthritis/cartilage damage that will affect him the rest of his career. I’m paraphrasing but man that interview was alarming. Sure hope he is wrong but bottom line is I’d be very surprised if Kyrie returns this season or playoffs, and I pray he will be able to resume his play next year without pain.

While this doesn't necessarily mean that Kyrie cannot play and play well, it certainly makes it more likely that he will not play or play well.

I stand by an earlier point I made:  Danny needs to take a whole lot of crap for this.  This injury was known and gave away a top-5 picks for Kyrie.

lol no it isnt. Isaiah Thomas is currently coming off the bench for a ****ty lakers team. Jae Crowder is shooting 41/33/82 while coming off the bench for the Jazz. The Nets are likely to finish with the 6th best draft odds.

We on the other hand, have Kyrie Irving who has led us to the 2 seed in the East.

We also don't have Kyrie Irving for very long.  He has one more year on his contract, and now he has a confirmed kneed problem that Ainge even said he will have to deal with his whole career.  Are you going to give that guy a max contract after 2019?  If not, he will likely walk, and then they will have nothing to show for that trade.

I am a huge Danny Ainge supporter but he needs to get dumped on for this situation.  This is not a freak injury.  It was known, he bought it, and now the trade looks shaky at best.

Even if he has a chronic knee injury that may force him to miss playoff games, or at least play poorly?
I don't have enough info to make the determination, but based on the information available to the public right now?

Bingo!  we have a winner.  He will get the max (whatever that is for him), and good to hear no long term damage to his knee.  He will probably be back in the 2nd round if we can win 1 series.  I love it how the sky is falling here before we even really know what is going on.  lol

I was going off of what Danny publicly stated, which is that the soreness and knee issue was something that Kyrie was going to have to deal with for his career.  You do not think that is an issue?

This to me means that there will be a chance, every year, that he misses games or cannot play to his full potential due to this injury.

I am surprised that you would give him a "blank check" considering this.

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2018, 07:04:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Looks like Al Horford will have to lead the young troops to the promiseland once playoffs start.  :-\

As long as Brown and Tatum are playing out of their mind, no problem with Horford leading for the 1st round/possibly start of 2nd.

Rozier 24 / Larkin 24
Brown 36 / Rozier 8 / Tatum 4
Tatum 32 / Morris 16
Horford 32 / Morris 16
Baynes 24 / Monroe 24

Then Kyrie be all like:

The 8 man rotation is correct, but there is no way that the minutes are distributed like that. Horford will probably be very close to 40 minutes, and I imagine Tatum, Morris, Brown, and Rozier will be in the high 30's as well. Barring fouls, Larkin and Baynes will get far less than 24 minutes, but I could see Monroe in the low 20's, as he seems to be finding his niche with the team. His ability to score will he much needed in the ugly type games I expect us to win.

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2018, 07:33:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I was going off of what Danny publicly stated, which is that the soreness and knee issue was something that Kyrie was going to have to deal with for his career.  You do not think that is an issue?

This to me means that there will be a chance, every year, that he misses games or cannot play to his full potential due to this injury.

My guess is just about every player has sime part of their body that gives them problems chronically every year. Brady, the best player in football, has had chronic pains in his shoulder and knee for years and years. Do you not give him a great contract simple because he has to nurse shoulder and arm problems every year? Do you let Larry Bird go his last 5 years because he nursed a bad back? Do you let KG walk because he hurt that bad knee in 2009 and it would effect his game forever more?

If Kyrie gotta miss 10 games a year but will be playing at an MVP level when he does play, yeah, you give him that max. Also, the latest repirt is the knee is 100% structurally fine, so you give him that contract. Every day.

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

yup ....good news all cosidered

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2018, 10:25:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The playoffs start in exactly 3 weeks. So I guess the hope is the C's can sneak out of the first round, which will likely take around 2 weeks (if anyone goes 7 games) without Kyrie and then he can be healthy enough to return by the second round where he would absolutely be needed to maybe advance.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2018, 10:49:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

yup ....good news all cosidered

Not to rain on your parade, but we have no idea how he will respond. He just had procedure today.

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2018, 10:56:53 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

My guess is just about every player has sime part of their body that gives them problems chronically every year. Brady, the best player in football, has had chronic pains in his shoulder and knee for years and years. Do you not give him a great contract simple because he has to nurse shoulder and arm problems every year? Do you let Larry Bird go his last 5 years because he nursed a bad back? Do you let KG walk because he hurt that bad knee in 2009 and it would effect his game forever more?

If Kyrie gotta miss 10 games a year but will be playing at an MVP level when he does play, yeah, you give him that max. Also, the latest repirt is the knee is 100% structurally fine, so you give him that contract. Every day.

It is off topic, but does Brady miss playoff games due to pain, soreness?

And again, this is all about the deal to acquire Kyrie and the fact he has one year left on his contract.  Danny bought damaged goods, and if you cannot admit that you are green-colored glasses to the fullest.  Right now that trade is a wash, as it looks like Cleveland will get a top-5 pick and the Celtics have a player who might miss the entire playoffs due to an injury he had prior to the trade.

And further, I am not confident that Kyrie will be healthy going forward in his career, with that knee, given what we were told.  He is not a durable player.

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2018, 11:22:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

And again, this is all about the deal to acquire Kyrie and the fact he has one year left on his contract.  Danny bought damaged goods, and if you cannot admit that you are green-colored glasses to the fullest.  Right now that trade is a wash, as it looks like Cleveland will get a top-5 pick and the Celtics have a player who might miss the entire playoffs due to an injury he had prior to the trade.

And further, I am not confident that Kyrie will be healthy going forward in his career, with that knee, given what we were told.  He is not a durable player.

Is this a serious take or you trolling to get a reaction? I really have to ask, but if you are being genuine I will take your word for it. Also the most likely outcome for the Nets picks is 7th or 8th at this point. They are currently 6th and one game behind the kings and bulls who are both sitting players to tank. Where are you seeing it is likely they will get a top 5 pick looking at the standings? (It could happen for sure but likely is not the right word)

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2018, 11:29:04 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But it is an opinion I do not share and think is wildly pessimistic.

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2018, 01:55:39 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Has anyone suggested that Kyrie might never walk again?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2018, 02:04:53 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Has anyone suggested that Kyrie might never walk again?

Kyrie Irving (1992 - 2018)

In menorandum

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2018, 07:48:16 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I’ll get back to this at the end of next year, when we are hanging banner 18.

Why do you think Kyrie will not be hurt next year?

Here is what Sports Illustrated reported: “Not only was the ‘minimally-invasive procedure’ able to relieve the tension in Irving’s knee in the short term, but it also revealed that the fractured patella Irving suffered in 2015 has completely healed and his knee is structurally sound overall.”

Why do you think Kyrie *will* be hurt next year?