Author Topic: Kyrie to have Knee Procedure  (Read 10163 times)

Re: Kyrie to have Knee Procedure
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 02:48:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Listen to Adam Kaufman podcast interview with Duke orthopedic surgeon. If just removing screws (20% likelihood), 6-8 week recovery. If necessary to scrape cartilage, 6-8 month recovery. Doc feels 80% chance Kyrie’s knee problem is arthritis/cartilage damage that will affect him the rest of his career. I’m paraphrasing but man that interview was alarming. Sure hope he is wrong but bottom line is I’d be very surprised if Kyrie returns this season or playoffs, and I pray he will be able to resume his play next year without pain.

Sorry to share such a gloomy forecast.

While this doesn't necessarily mean that Kyrie cannot play and play well, it certainly makes it more likely that he will not play or play well.

I stand by an earlier point I made:  Danny needs to take a whole lot of crap for this.  This injury was known and gave away a top-5 picks for Kyrie.

This trade is biting him real bad now...
lol no it isnt. Isaiah Thomas is currently coming off the bench for a ****ty lakers team. Jae Crowder is shooting 41/33/82 while coming off the bench for the Jazz. The Nets are likely to finish with the 6th best draft odds.

We on the other hand, have Kyrie Irving who has led us to the 2 seed in the East.

We currently are winners in the trade and it's not close.

IT lead the team to the #1 seed in the East, so that is pointless.

We also don't have Kyrie Irving for very long.  He has one more year on his contract, and now he has a confirmed kneed problem that Ainge even said he will have to deal with his whole career.  Are you going to give that guy a max contract after 2019?  If not, he will likely walk, and then they will have nothing to show for that trade.

I am a huge Danny Ainge supporter but he needs to get dumped on for this situation.  This is not a freak injury.  It was known, he bought it, and now the trade looks shaky at best.
Absolutely. Without blinking.

Even if he has a chronic knee injury that may force him to miss playoff games, or at least play poorly?
I don't have enough info to make the determination, but based on the information available to the public right now?

I'm giving that guy a blank contract and he can fill it in.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Listen to Adam Kaufman podcast interview with Duke orthopedic surgeon. If just removing screws (20% likelihood), 6-8 week recovery. If necessary to scrape cartilage, 6-8 month recovery. Doc feels 80% chance Kyrie’s knee problem is arthritis/cartilage damage that will affect him the rest of his career. I’m paraphrasing but man that interview was alarming. Sure hope he is wrong but bottom line is I’d be very surprised if Kyrie returns this season or playoffs, and I pray he will be able to resume his play next year without pain.

While this doesn't necessarily mean that Kyrie cannot play and play well, it certainly makes it more likely that he will not play or play well.

I stand by an earlier point I made:  Danny needs to take a whole lot of crap for this.  This injury was known and gave away a top-5 picks for Kyrie.

lol no it isnt. Isaiah Thomas is currently coming off the bench for a ****ty lakers team. Jae Crowder is shooting 41/33/82 while coming off the bench for the Jazz. The Nets are likely to finish with the 6th best draft odds.

We on the other hand, have Kyrie Irving who has led us to the 2 seed in the East.

We also don't have Kyrie Irving for very long.  He has one more year on his contract, and now he has a confirmed kneed problem that Ainge even said he will have to deal with his whole career.  Are you going to give that guy a max contract after 2019?  If not, he will likely walk, and then they will have nothing to show for that trade.

I am a huge Danny Ainge supporter but he needs to get dumped on for this situation.  This is not a freak injury.  It was known, he bought it, and now the trade looks shaky at best.

Even if he has a chronic knee injury that may force him to miss playoff games, or at least play poorly?
I don't have enough info to make the determination, but based on the information available to the public right now?

so even if he’s eligible for the supermax? (not saying i wouldn’t but it’ll come up)

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 03:28:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Procedure was to remove a tension wire in his knee. Kyrie expected to return in 3-6 weeks:

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/977627451705741312?s=21

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 03:39:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

so even if he’s eligible for the supermax? (not saying i wouldn’t but it’ll come up)
I didn't think irving was eligible because we didn't draft him or acquire him during his rookie contrax
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 03:41:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Procedure was to remove a tension wire in his knee. Kyrie expected to return in 3-6 weeks:

Playoffs start three weeks from today, so it’ll be a close one.

Depending on the team, I think we can survive the first round without Kyrie and Smart, so long as no one else is out. The Heat are probably our best bets, but we’d probably still be favored against Milwaukee, too. Really hope Washington doesn’t fall that low, though.

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 03:55:28 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Depending on the team, I think we can survive the first round without Kyrie and Smart, so long as no one else is out. The Heat are probably our best bets, but we’d probably still be favored against Milwaukee, too. Really hope Washington doesn’t fall that low, though.

Kyrie expected to return in 3-6 weeks to basketball activities. Have to think it will take a bit longer to be playing real games.

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I always figured this was about his previous surgery. I did not know there were tension wires in his knee, probably attached to the screws they must have left behind it seems. I'm guessing he'll have the screws removed this summer, as that most likely is a bit longer recovery.

Hopeful this works in relieving the pain he's been experiencing. The good thing to me is that this seems to suggest there is nothing structurally wrong with his knee, and that this has always been about needing to have the hardware previously put in his knee removed.

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2018, 03:57:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Kyrie expected to return in 3-6 weeks to basketball activities. Have to think it will take a bit longer to be playing real games.

Are games not basketball activities?

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I didn't think irving was eligible because we didn't draft him or acquire him during his rookie contrax

Correct, Boston cannot give Irving a supermax extension. There's zero chance Irving signs an extension of any kind with us, it wouldn't make any financial sense for him to do so, as he can get more money from us by waiting until free agency.

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

To me basketball activities means shootaround, drills, passing balls to each other in practice looool.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2018, 04:07:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Looks like Al Horford will have to lead the young troops to the promiseland once playoffs start.  :-\

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Are drills not basketball activities?  Are practices not basketball activities? Why not just say return to the lineup?

His last full game was 3/8 and he will have been out 5+ to 8+ weeks by the time he returns to "basketball activities."  I wouldn't assume he'll jump right back into the lineup.

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

To me basketball activities means shootaround, drills, passing balls to each other in practice looool.

It could literally mean anything.

I'm sure the team was intentionally vague for a number of reasons. But I doubt he'd need much, if any time, to get back up to speed once he's medically cleared.

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Kyrie won’t come back unless he stops feeling pain. Hoping the procedure does the trick but doubt anyone can predict if it will.

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2018, 04:51:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Looks like Al Horford will have to lead the young troops to the promiseland once playoffs start.  :-\

As long as Brown and Tatum are playing out of their mind, no problem with Horford leading for the 1st round/possibly start of 2nd.

Rozier 24 / Larkin 24
Brown 36 / Rozier 8 / Tatum 4
Tatum 32 / Morris 16
Horford 32 / Morris 16
Baynes 24 / Monroe 24

Then Kyrie be all like:

Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale