Author Topic: Kyrie to have Knee Procedure  (Read 10105 times)

Kyrie to have Knee Procedure
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Kyrie is going to have a "minimally Invasive" knee procedure tomorrow.  Time table for return will be determined afterwards. 

Re: Kyrie to have Knee Procedure
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
"Minimally invasive"?

Do we have a (real) doctor in the house to explain?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 12:52:24 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Just a needle , back in no time  ???

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I googled "minimally Invasive knee procedure" and found this.

The Pros and Cons of Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement Surgery

So yeah....

That could mean so many things. 

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Well the fact he is having it tomorrow and not waiting until later tells me everyone feels he can make it make sooner than later.

JT Barrett at Ohio State had the something they called the same thing done on a Sunday and was back by the next game that following Saturday.

If it is bad...they would have shut him down for good IMO

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
"Minimally invasive"?

Do we have a (real) doctor in the house to explain?

Not a real doctor but it means the operation is internal but with as little cutting and internal activity as possible. Probably some kind of scope operation where they make a tiny incision and insert like a little flexible tube with a scraper/cutter on the end.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 01:00:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I assume this means he's having the screws removed that were left behind from his 2015 surgery.

Seems like an odd time to finally make that decision. Either the time table for recovery is very short, or it just couldn't be prolonged at all anymore.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 01:01:21 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I can't wait to see this team in 2019 when they are hopefully healthy and whole

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Normally it means a procedure where a surgeon enters through a smaller opening than a traditional surgery would require. Usually, it's some kind of 'scoped procedure. What the surgeon would do once he enters is another question.

A few years ago I needed a spinal fusion at the base of my lumbar spine. One of the options was a "minimally invasive" procedure, so called because they would go in through a 2-inch opening using a fiber optic scope and cutting tool, instead of using a scalpel and retractor to cut a 6-8 inch flap of skin and muscle on each side of the spine and hold it off to the side. Preserves more muscle tissue and tendon, less scarring. Either way, once they got inside they would do roughly the same thing - scrape out the cartilage between two vertebrae, insert a cage and filler material, then remove a little bone and fix the vertebrae in place with screws and plates before backing out. So, minimally invasive can be kind of a relative term. I don't assume KI needs anything nearly so dire, but it really doesn't tell us much about the recovery time. It sounded like he needed screws out and possibly some other shaving to put a stop to recurring irritation.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Happy birthday Kyrie (and Hayward too). Sucks they're both injured, and their status uncertain, as the playoffs approach.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
It's actually a very good news, means he will no longer has the risk going forward
As for the procedure it's most likely to remove the screws
The recovery time all depend on the skill of the doctor and the equip they use

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 01:53:46 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Boston's on quite a run of injury-hampered seasons, so I'm just gonna presume more of the same until they finally prove me wrong.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Shut him down, play Rozier/Smart in the playoffs to see if they can potentially start. Let Brown and Tatum shoot 20+ times a game, and hopefully win a playoff series. If not, oh well. We'll get Irving and Hayward back healthy in the fall.

While I'm looking forward to the playoffs- I don't care too much. I don't think this team will beat TOR or CLE.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Boston's on quite a run of injury-hampered seasons, so I'm just gonna presume more of the same until they finally prove me wrong.

Crazy when you think about it... dating back to 2009, when was the last time we had everyone healthy?

KG, Perk, ‘Sheed, Rondo, Green, Bradley, Olynyk, Isaiah, if memory serves me correct, were all either out or walking wounded for some playoffs from 2009-2017....

Would be nice to see what this team looks like healthy. Hopefully next season we can.

Maybe Danny really did sell his soul for that 2008 championship? And his 10-year karma is up this June.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 02:14:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Shut him down, play Rozier/Smart in the playoffs to see if they can potentially start. Let Brown and Tatum shoot 20+ times a game, and hopefully win a playoff series. If not, oh well. We'll get Irving and Hayward back healthy in the fall.

While I'm looking forward to the playoffs- I don't care too much. I don't think this team will beat TOR or CLE.

Are you for getting Smart is also out indefinitely after having surgery on his hand?

It looks like Rozier is the starter at PG for the foreseeable future this season. Hopefully Brown will be back at some point soon, but who knows, concussions are nothing to mess around with.