Author Topic: What to do with our 2018 pick[Merged Threads]  (Read 19219 times)

Re: My 1st rd pick for the Celtics
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Sounds like Grayson Allen had a top 5 all time lane agility time and upper echelon vertical leap at the combine. Starting to think he might have potential. 3 pt shooter, competitive/****, athletic, high BBIQ, versatile ... people are doubting him. Sounds like Danny's type of gamble.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/5/18/17367520/nba-draft-combine-2018-grayson-allen-mohamed-bamba-trae-young
his play style reminds me Danny Ainge as a player

Reunites Tatum with a former teammate too
Could you guys see Ainge letting Smart walk if he drafts Allen at 27? I could.
yeah i was thinking if either smart walks or rozier gets shipped we try to fill that slot with a guard like Allen or maybe duval if he slides
Allen does fill the agitator role

Re: What to do with our 2018 pick[Merged Threads]
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2018, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBKl4JfyGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGqgApAPCWY

Two guys I'm high on both doing well at the combine.

Really like Carter if we lose Smart. Carter is an awesome defender
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
With a pick that late, you have to shoot for the stars, so to speak. Pick the guy who has a 20% chance of being a star and an 80% chance of being a bust.

I think given the Celtics salary structure and future lux tax issues it's more important to make sure to try to find someone who projects as a solid rotation player, even if they have a lower ceiling. Filling out the bench with cost controlled, cheap talent is what will help us most.
I agree more with mef730.  This team already has a depth of talent.  A solid rotation player does nothing for this roster, and they certainly do not need multiple picks (somebody suggested trading down for 2 2nd rounders).  I see no downside to taking a risk on a guy who could be a star someday.  If such a player could be stashed, so much the better.  They don't need to pay another guaranteed 1st round contract while trying to re-sign Marcus Smart.
Danny still gets crucified here for taking a chance on a risky pick in the 20's.  I don't see it happening nor do I see a less than volatile reaction occurring here if he takes a risk.  (not that Danny cares what people here think when it comes to drafting).

The roster is fairly set going forward with wings in Brown, Tatum and Hayward.  We're likely set at PG with Kyrie and either Smart or Rozier (or both).  Frontcourt could get thin on established talent quickly this offseason with only Horford and Morris being the proven big men who we know will be returning.  Baynes and Monroe are free agents.  Theis had a decent rookie season but has to prove he can be consistent.  Yabu and Semi need to improve their games (and neither is really a center). 

I would not mind seeing Danny take a shot on a big man who could develop into a decent 4th big off the bench in a year or two.  I have no illusions that he'll find a big man that can become better than that at that point in the draft.  Not really seeing the need for a PG with Bird and Allen still available on 2-way deals.

You guys are completely missing the boat here. We're not going to be able to keep both. Smart and Rozier. Heck, Rozier is probably gone no matter what, as I don't think he is going to have any desire to stay longer than he has to. Bird and Allen are not NBA level talents, so I don't even consider them viable options.

Finding a backup combo guard and 2/3 type wing is definitely a need (Ojeleye and Yabusele are more small ball 4's). Getting someone who projects as a solid rotation level player for one of those roles will be important given our salary structure.

If I was running things I'd look to trade Rozier for a young big with future potential, re-sign Smart and Baynes, draft a combo guard or wing with our late first, and sign a cheap veteran backup PG.

« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2018, 09:13:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If we could draft and stash Bonga, that would be a great pick.  I don't see the Celtics wanting to pay a guaranteed salary this year.

That kid is really long, like 6'9" with a 7 foot wingspan, and he's probably not done growing. His shot needs work but he's a good draft and stash guy. If Angie is going to draft and stash he might want to change that 1st rounder into 2 seconds and stash two young guys.

« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2018, 04:03:45 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
You guys are completely missing the boat here. We're not going to be able to keep both. Smart and Rozier. Heck, Rozier is probably gone no matter what, as I don't think he is going to have any desire to stay longer than he has to. Bird and Allen are not NBA level talents, so I don't even consider them viable options.

Finding a backup combo guard and 2/3 type wing is definitely a need (Ojeleye and Yabusele are more small ball 4's). Getting someone who projects as a solid rotation level player for one of those roles will be important given our salary structure.

If I was running things I'd look to trade Rozier for a young big with future potential, re-sign Smart and Baynes, draft a combo guard or wing with our late first, and sign a cheap veteran backup PG.

Not everything is about the future. You have one of the best back up point guards in the league on a rookie contract for one more year. A year that we aim to win a championship. In no world should we trade that player for future potential. If he walks next summer, who cares? We have so many avenues to replace him at that point. Worst case we resign him and look to move him later, that's the whole genius of RFA.
A good GM will not panic in these situations thinking he has to get value. More often than people realise the value is keeping that player on the court.

« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
 Pass on Grayson..wont make it in NBA
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2018, 07:04:57 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Malik Newman, McCoy, or Diallo would be interesting
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2018, 08:50:53 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Not everything is about the future. You have one of the best back up point guards in the league on a rookie contract for one more year. A year that we aim to win a championship. In no world should we trade that player for future potential. If he walks next summer, who cares? We have so many avenues to replace him at that point. Worst case we resign him and look to move him later, that's the whole genius of RFA.
A good GM will not panic in these situations thinking he has to get value. More often than people realise the value is keeping that player on the court.

Amen
If Towns were available for Rozier u would have to think about it

« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Wish list at 27:

If Smart and Rozier both back:
1. Bonga
2. Spellman

If one of Smart or Rozier is gone:

1.  Khyri Thomas
2.  Troy Brown
3.  DiVincenzo
4.  D. Melton

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2018, 02:20:57 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Have a feeling the rest of the league takes a closer look at whoever Danny Ainge likes.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2018, 02:26:22 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Wish list at 27:

1. Bonga
2. Spellman

1.  Khyri Thomas
2.  Troy Brown
3.  DiVincenzo
4.  D. Melton
not a big fan of drafting by need

take BPA

« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2018, 02:35:41 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Wish list at 27:

1. Bonga
2. Spellman

1.  Khyri Thomas
2.  Troy Brown
3.  DiVincenzo
4.  D. Melton

take BPA

I hear ya.  just meant to say I like all those guys.  Spellman could go in the lower list and Thomas in the first list and I'd be just as happy (on draft night that is)

Jalen Brunson would help the Celtics next year too when guys go out with injuries....or if we lose a guard....looks like one of the most NBA ready picks out there...I'm guessing he's better than Larkin but I don't know.

« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2018, 02:44:48 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Wish list at 27:

1. Bonga
2. Spellman

1.  Khyri Thomas
2.  Troy Brown
3.  DiVincenzo
4.  D. Melton

take BPA

At the top of the draft, I agree.

But at where we are picking, there is no real BPA unless some projected lottery guy somehow falls deep to us.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2018, 05:04:46 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Hearing good things about Khyri Thomas. I also like DiVincenzo but he might go higher after his performance in Vil.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2018, 06:29:38 AM »

Offline kgwannabe

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
The Celts have up to four first round picks in the 2019, a draft year that is supposed to be a weaker class than 2018. In addition, Sacramento could get Doncic and, coupled with their young talent, could be a little better. And the lottery rules will lower the likelihood that picks move up in the draft. So let's say the Kings pick is #5-7. Who do you get in 2019 that will impact your team? And what value, even if it conveys, is the Clippers pick at #15? And what about the Celts at about #30? Not much value for the Celts, and not much value in a trade for an impact player. If fact, you might just end up saddled with a guaranteed contract on a guy who doesn't help much for, at a minimum, several years. When you are in the luxury tax, that actually is counterproductive rather than helpful.

With the way their roster is constructed, the Celts need a few second round picks so they can get non-guaranteed contracts rather than late first round picks and ideally they'd get one more impact player from the draft within the next two years. I think the Sacramento pick in a weak 2019 draft year is unlikely to accomplish this. The pick that has, in my opinion, the highest "upside" is the Memphis pick (We should all hope that Memphis really sucks, their pick does not convey, and becomes unprotected or high lottery in about two years). The Memphis pick is the one we should hold on to.

If my logic is correct, the time to maximize these assets is this year. Package these picks, excluding Memphis, with Rozier and move up this year. The 2018 draft is deep through about 10-12 picks, and get a young big who can complete this roster. The most obtainable target is  Bamba or Carter (you won't be able to get high enough for Jackson Jr.). Lets go; make the move Danny.