Author Topic: No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?  (Read 10087 times)

Re: No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 07:33:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
At this point, I don't think I'd trade Tatum for anyone, period. He has far too high of a ceiling and there is still too much uncertainty as to whether or not he will reach it, thus there is no way we could possibly get fair value for him in a trade. That, and I would rather see him in a Celtics jersey for the next 15 years anyway.

Brown, on the other hand, I'm more willing to trade. He looks like he will be a borderline All-Star for a number of years, but I don't think he has superstar potential. If we can trade Brown with an assortment of other assets for a superstar I'd do that in heartbeat. I'm just not convinced there is a team out there that would trade us a superstar without demanding Tatum, and as I said above, that is a non-starter for me and would end any trade discussion.

So, sure, if we could trade Brown + LAL/SAC pick + other assets for Leonard, of course I would do that. But I seriously doubt that is a possibility.
I think there is an excellent chance that Brown reaches Jimmy Butler quality of game and that Tatum reaches Paul George quality of game in 3-4 years. So the way I look at things is would you trade prime Butler and George as a package for an AD or Kawhi in their prime? I just don't know. If Brown and Tatum reach those ceilings in 3 years, you have prime Kyrie, Hayward, Brown and Tatum with the last two cost controlled for a long time.

I would package one of Tatum or Brown for AD or Kawhi but I don't think I would ever package both for just one.

Yeah, we're in agreement about trading both, there's just no way I trade both Tatum and Brown for any individual player.

But I think you're under selling what Tatum could become, and thus why I'm not trading him at all. As for Brown, he could potentially reach Butler's level, but I don't think he will, thus why I'm more apt to trade him for someone like Davis or Leonard, and would be willing to include other assets that aren't Jayson Tatum.

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes we do...I know I do

He is one of the top players

my theory as to why he no longer wants to play for the Spurs is because of Buford and especially Pops

He was probably pressed(knowing how hard nosed this organization is) regarding his injury, regimen etc. And he just wanted to be left alone , not pressured about it

2nd  Popovich still yells at him at times (he yells at everyone) but still eventually it takes a toll on some people.  He is a grown man and one of the best players yet still has to be on his tippy toes and gets yelled at for minor mistakes vs everyone else he does

He is no doubt not picking up his option and for sure not resigning to an extension

The Celtics should step in and make an offer for him.  Not many other teams have the assets the Celts do, to make a trade work

I hate to give up on one of Brown or Tatum.  But you have to give up something good for something good in return.   Lastly the Spurs are aging fast.  They need to revamp their lineup soon and infuse with youth

Trade
To Spurs: Tatum, Rozier, Horford, Future 1st (not 2019), a few 2nds

To Celtics: Leonard, Pau Gasol

Celts lineup after trade

Gasol/FA/Draft pick
Leonard
Hayward
Brown
Irving

This lineup would be a ton to handle and built to win championships

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Kawhi Leonard will be 27 for next season.  That is not old by any stretch but I just have this feeling that his best basketball is behind him.  We have Tatum and Hayward who play the same position.  I don't want to see the Celtics reach in any way to get Kawhi.  I would understand trading Brown or Tatum for Davis for sure.  Not sure it is the right time to go after Kawhi.

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
It's a major homer call but I wont be happy if Tatum or Brown is traded for Leonard.

Leonard is an great player and when healthy a clear top 5 player in the league. I just cant see the logic in trading for a player with his injury history going into a contract year.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Hayward and Kawhi is basically a wash , one is better team defender and point forward and team player, one better individual lock down defender with selfish mentality, both are injured but one's situiation is clear than another

I don't see why we need to go for him

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Yes we do...I know I do

He is one of the top players

my theory as to why he no longer wants to play for the Spurs is because of Buford and especially Pops

He was probably pressed(knowing how hard nosed this organization is) regarding his injury, regimen etc. And he just wanted to be left alone , not pressured about it

2nd  Popovich still yells at him at times (he yells at everyone) but still eventually it takes a toll on some people.  He is a grown man and one of the best players yet still has to be on his tippy toes and gets yelled at for minor mistakes vs everyone else he does

He is no doubt not picking up his option and for sure not resigning to an extension

The Celtics should step in and make an offer for him.  Not many other teams have the assets the Celts do, to make a trade work

I hate to give up on one of Brown or Tatum.  But you have to give up something good for something good in return.   Lastly the Spurs are aging fast.  They need to revamp their lineup soon and infuse with youth

Trade
To Spurs: Tatum, Rozier, Horford, Future 1st (not 2019), a few 2nds

To Celtics: Leonard, Pau Gasol

Celts lineup after trade

Gasol/FA/Draft pick
Leonard
Hayward
Brown
Irving

This lineup would be a ton to handle and built to win championships
Why in the heck would we trade for Gasol who will be 38 in 3 months and has 2 years @16M each left on his contract? 

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Hayward and Kawhi is basically a wash , one is better team defender and point forward and team player, one better individual lock down defender with selfish mentality, both are injured but one's situiation is clear than another

Assuming they are both healthy, Leonard is a significantly better player than Hayward.  It isn't close.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 12:46:14 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Assuming they are both healthy, Leonard is a significantly better player than Hayward.  It isn't close.
Not true

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Another injury-prone player? No thanks.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Not true

Hayward is excellent, but healthy Kawhi is DPOY and MVP level. That's a step up. It's not even clear Hayward was better on offense last year, and no amount of team defense equals the best perimeter defender in the league.

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Okay, and guess what?

One cost cap space, and the other one will cost cap space+assets+draft picks, and honestly Kawhi seems like he's more than meets the eye...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Okay, and guess what?

One cost cap space, and the other one will cost cap space+assets+draft picks, and honestly Kawhi seems like he's more than meets the eye...
what does that have to do with anything?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Okay, and guess what?

Because playdream is comparing the both. We all know Leonard is a better player, that's clearly obvious... But in terms of what it would cost to bring Leonard over is what I meant.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 01:55:14 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Okay, and guess what?

Because playdream is comparing the both. We all know Leonard is a better player, that's clearly obvious... But in terms of what it would cost to bring Leonard over is what I meant.
Apparently playdream doesn't know that.

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 02:27:32 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Leonard is an MVP-caliber player.  If doctors clear him and SA looks to trade him (I'm still not convinced), hell yes I want him.