Author Topic: No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?  (Read 10091 times)

Re: No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don't think they "need" Leonard but  believe they would be better off served to utilize their roster/assets for something else.

First, we don't even know exactly how good this team could be if healthy. What if a healthy KI/GH and Co. are like a 65 win team? It's kind of hard to judge at this point. Having your stars healthy solves the bench issues and gives you a glut of assets to parlay into another all star type player. With GH healthy, it gives you a lot more flexibility to be able to offer up a package of Rozier/Brown/SAC pick (just as an example). That's a pretty legit package.

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 09:46:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I love Kawhi, but I wouldn't.

Same reason I wouldn't for Davis. Some injury risks involved with both, and I'd imagine we'd have to gut our team to acquire either, which I'm not a fan of (maybe not for Leonard, but we definitely have to give up one of Tatum/Brown, and of course the Kings Pick). I'm also not a fan of trading Horford for many reasons.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:53:13 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 11:42:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As someone said earlier...maybe we should wait to see what we have with a 100% healthy club next year. We could very well have a 60+ win team and contender with just making everyone healthy, seeing growth in Rozy, Theis, Yabu, Semi and the Js, and bringing back Smart, and either Baynes or Monroe.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 04:16:20 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
No.

The only guy id give up Tatum and Brown for is AD.
Btown can be Kawhi in 2 or 3 yrs..why give up the farm for him.

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 04:41:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No.

No, Brown most certainly can’t be without absolutely unforeseen improvement on both ends and everything in between
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 07:19:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
No.

No, Brown most certainly can’t be without absolutely unforeseen improvement on both ends and everything in between
His curve so far has been that steep so there is a chance albeit small.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yabu and 2nd

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 08:52:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No.

I agree that his curve has been that steep, and maybe he could turn into the 22-26ppg guy on offence that Kawhi is. But his defence would have to improve monumentally, and I just can’t see that happening
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
No.

I agree that his curve has been that steep, and maybe he could turn into the 22-26ppg guy on offence that Kawhi is. But his defence would have to improve monumentally, and I just can’t see that happening
His defense has been All-NBA level this year... I'd slot him in the 2nd team. Best one on one defender on our team imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
No.

His defense has been All-NBA level this year... I'd slot him in the 2nd team. Best one on one defender on our team imo.

Think your selling Kawhi short. Jaylen's improvement curve has been incredible but Kawhi has giant hands and and a defensive mentality that makes him practically GOAT level as a wing stopper.

Leonard also has a more defined half court arsenal than the North/South way Jaylen approaches offense. I'm looking forward to seeing Jaylen in the playoffs but a lot of what he does offensively can be taken away when the game clamps down.

Jaylen will be something special in his own right but he's closer to Paul George's game than Kawhi's and IMO that makes them worlds apart as players.

Not sure that I'd be in favor of making the trade for financial and chemistry reasons but IMO a healthy Kawhi Leonard would be worth every penny of what we would offer.

Edit: Heeeeey 1500 posts! Goodbye Bill Walton it was an honor repping your good name these past 500 posts.

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
It's possible for us to acquire both Kawhi and AD. I know this sounds crazy and it most likely is. However, if both players are available, we have the assets (vets/young players/picks) to make trades for both. It would require emptying the war chest of picks and trading both Jaylen and Tatum. Pretty sure I just lost everyone on the forum there so I'm not going to waste time breaking down the possible outgoing/incoming. For all the naysayers and people dead set against trading Jaylen and Tatum, do your best to argue against a core of Kyrie (26), Hayward (28), Kawhi (26/27), Davis (25).

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
It's possible for us to acquire both Kawhi and AD. I know this sounds crazy and it most likely is. However, if both players are available, we have the assets (vets/young players/picks) to make trades for both. It would require emptying the war chest of picks and trading both Jaylen and Tatum. Pretty sure I just lost everyone on the forum there so I'm not going to waste time breaking down the possible outgoing/incoming. For all the naysayers and people dead set against trading Jaylen and Tatum, do your best to argue against a core of Kyrie (26), Hayward (28), Kawhi (26/27), Davis (25).

That's brilliant I'm giving you a TP for being provocative yet concise and readable.

Tough to say, but a case can probably be made that Kyrie and Kawhi could be perhaps playing in some sort of pain or discomfort, and consequently the young budding stars are a preferable long term bet than Leonard.

Anthony Davis though...that's something else. I try to give everything but Tatum and Brown, and dream that since we could have 4 1st rounders next year, anything is possible.

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don't think they "need" Leonard but  believe they would be better off served to utilize their roster/assets for something else.

First, we don't even know exactly how good this team could be if healthy. What if a healthy KI/GH and Co. are like a 65 win team? It's kind of hard to judge at this point. Having your stars healthy solves the bench issues and gives you a glut of assets to parlay into another all star type player. With GH healthy, it gives you a lot more flexibility to be able to offer up a package of Rozier/Brown/SAC pick (just as an example). That's a pretty legit package.

Some people just love to trade for trade sake...there is no player in the league worth Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2018, 04:43:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
At this point, I don't think I'd trade Tatum for anyone, period. He has far too high of a ceiling and there is still too much uncertainty as to whether or not he will reach it, thus there is no way we could possibly get fair value for him in a trade. That, and I would rather see him in a Celtics jersey for the next 15 years anyway.

Brown, on the other hand, I'm more willing to trade. He looks like he will be a borderline All-Star for a number of years, but I don't think he has superstar potential. If we can trade Brown with an assortment of other assets for a superstar I'd do that in heartbeat. I'm just not convinced there is a team out there that would trade us a superstar without demanding Tatum, and as I said above, that is a non-starter for me and would end any trade discussion.

So, sure, if we could trade Brown + LAL/SAC pick + other assets for Leonard, of course I would do that. But I seriously doubt that is a possibility.

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
At this point, I don't think I'd trade Tatum for anyone, period. He has far too high of a ceiling and there is still too much uncertainty as to whether or not he will reach it, thus there is no way we could possibly get fair value for him in a trade. That, and I would rather see him in a Celtics jersey for the next 15 years anyway.

Brown, on the other hand, I'm more willing to trade. He looks like he will be a borderline All-Star for a number of years, but I don't think he has superstar potential. If we can trade Brown with an assortment of other assets for a superstar I'd do that in heartbeat. I'm just not convinced there is a team out there that would trade us a superstar without demanding Tatum, and as I said above, that is a non-starter for me and would end any trade discussion.

So, sure, if we could trade Brown + LAL/SAC pick + other assets for Leonard, of course I would do that. But I seriously doubt that is a possibility.
I think there is an excellent chance that Brown reaches Jimmy Butler quality of game and that Tatum reaches Paul George quality of game in 3-4 years. So the way I look at things is would you trade prime Butler and George as a package for an AD or Kawhi in their prime? I just don't know. If Brown and Tatum reach those ceilings in 3 years, you have prime Kyrie, Hayward, Brown and Tatum with the last two cost controlled for a long time.

I would package one of Tatum or Brown for AD or Kawhi but I don't think I would ever package both for just one.