Author Topic: No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?  (Read 10046 times)

No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:00:40 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
What a strange scenario in San Antonio, per Woj, the Spurs players have had a players only meeting asking Kawhi Leonard to return and he is still refusing and now Stephen Jackson on the Jump says this can't just be an injury issue now. If Leonard refuses an extension this offseason they will have to trade him as they will lose him next season for nothing. We won't be outbid for Kawhi's services, as no team have the right assets for a trade, especially given the Spurs are locked in to multiple vets long term and want continue competing. Philly won't give up Embiid or Simmons, Lakers don't have anyone other than Ingram and couldn't even match the salary's without giving Spurs a poison contract, the only other competition I could see is Washington if they trade either Beal or Wall but given their roster depth I can't see Leonard resigning. But the question remains do we want or need him? We'd definitely have to give up Tatum or Brown (maybe both) I still can't see Ainge trading Horford as it gives a bad look to potential free agents, where would Kawhi play? Small Forward? What about Hayward? Do you put him at Power Forward? Would he accept that given he is coming up to free agency?

There are so many questions here
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:09:35 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
We may not have the best package if there is a full on bidding war. Plenty of teams could potentially have far better packages especially the teams thay win the lottery this year (which could of course still be Boston if somehow the Lakers pick gets to 2 or 3).  I mean is Hield, Fox, and 1 something Boston could top. I'm not so sure, though I also have no idea why Sacto would give that up for 1 year of Leonard.  Phoenix, Philly, Orlando, etc. could also produce some very nice packages.

That said, I would trade the farm for Leonard as adding him to Irving and Hayward would make Boston a true legit contender for at least the next 5 seasons (if they all stayed)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
We may not have the best package if there is a full on bidding war. Plenty of teams could potentially have far better packages especially the teams thay win the lottery this year (which could of course still be Boston if somehow the Lakers pick gets to 2 or 3).  I mean is Hield, Fox, and 1 something Boston could top. I'm not so sure, though I also have no idea why Sacto would give that up for 1 year of Leonard.  Phoenix, Philly, Orlando, etc. could also produce some very nice packages.

That said, I would trade the farm for Leonard as adding him to Irving and Hayward would make Boston a true legit contender for at least the next 5 seasons (if they all stayed)
Unfortunately for Kings fans, they've got one of the worst owners and GMs in the league.  They are one of two worst teams but they currently only have the 7th worst record.  I do agree that other teams could make strong offers.  The question is will they?  Most of the teams you mention are bottom feeders so Kawhi will just say he won't re-sign with them. 

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:57:59 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
with injury history and a new contract extension the most I would give up is Horford, Brown, Sac pick, Memphis pick, and Bos late first round pick... While its still a haul the Celtics can still get out of the Horford contract and add one of the best players in the league...

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:06:52 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Please correct me if I’m wrong. We basically have 3 max guys, and the next highest paid player is Tatum at 6.7M. The problem I see is that the Celtics don’t have anyone in between to help match salaries (with Leonard scheduled to make around $20M next season). Without gutting the team, the only possible scenario I can think of is if Marcus Smart agrees to be part of a sign and trade. Could Danny then package Smart, Brown/Tatum, and the Lakers/Kings pick? If I’m giving up Brown/Tatum and the pick, I would hope Danny would be allowed to talk to Kawhi first to see gauge his interest in signing an extension.

In the era of position-less basketball, I think you get the player first, and then put the best players on the floor. I would think Hayward and Leonard could split duties between SG and SF. We may have to give up the dream of trading for Anthony Davis, and pounce on the opportunity to acquire another elite player who wants to be traded. Danny held onto assets to get Kyrie, so I wonder if he could do it again. Don’t get me wrong, I love Brown and Tatum, and I think they will both be really good. However, when you have the opportunity to get an All NBA player, both offensively and defensively, and is a proven playoff performer, then I don’t think you hesitate.

I think the biggest questions would be: 1. Does trading for Kawhi put the Celtics in a position to beat Golden State? 2. Will ownership be willing to pay the luxury tax by having four max players on the roster?

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yes we do want him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
No we don't. i won't even think about touch two Jays and GH/KI
the most possibility is AL but there will really be too much wings lol
And if i am the sixers i trade Simmons for Leonard in a heart beat and say hi to Lebron

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I guess he is prime option for Lakers to trade Kuzma.  Randle , Ingram picks and what ever spurs want other than Ball.  then sign Lebron .

Lakers will be full gore after PG3 , Le whine and Leonard .

Magic has no more patience to rebuild.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Money issues aside I'd offer Jaylen B straight up no discussion final offer. Go ahead and turn it down. Go ahead.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 11:29:51 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
At this point, no.   

No clue what is going on in SA, but I am quite happy with the swing position for the Celtics next year with Hayward, Brown and Tatum.   The team needs role player level guys that do a job behind them.   

Save the trade ammo for a position of more need.   A big man that can grow with the future. 

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 01:14:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
At this point, no.   

No clue what is going on in SA, but I am quite happy with the swing position for the Celtics next year with Hayward, Brown and Tatum.   The team needs role player level guys that do a job behind them.   

Save the trade ammo for a position of more need.   A big man that can grow with the future.

I thought about that too, but what if we trade Brown and Horford?

Let's assume we trade Horford and Brown for Leonard and Gasol (bad contract), would a big 3 of Irving, Leonard, and Haward, along with a fast improving Tatum, make us a legitimate threat to the Warriors? Would we then look to re-sign both Baynes and Monroe? Would a 3 headed center rotation of Baynes (or Theis is we don't re-sign Bayne), Monroe, and Gasol be enough?

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
At this point, no.   

I thought about that too, but what if we trade Brown and Horford?

Let's assume we trade Horford and Brown for Leonard and Gasol (bad contract), would a big 3 of Irving, Leonard, and Haward, along with a fast improving Tatum, make us a legitimate threat to the Warriors? Would we then look to re-sign both Baynes and Monroe? Would a 3 headed center rotation of Baynes (or Theis is we don't re-sign Bayne), Monroe, and Gasol be enough?
AL yes, We won't touch Brown even for Davis, a big NO

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 03:10:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Money issues aside I'd offer Jaylen B straight up no discussion final offer. Go ahead and turn it down. Go ahead.
Unfortunately, you can't put money issues aside.

But....if Smart agrees to a sign and trade and Brown, Yabusele and picks are the only things going to SA, I'm down.

Kawhi for S&T Smart, Brown, Yabusele, 2018 Bos pick, 2019 Sac pick, 2019 LAC pick

Then extend both Kawhi and Kyrie.

Kyrie/Rozier
Kawhi/Nader
Hayward/Ojeleye
Tatum
Horford/Theis

Possibly see if Monroe would resign a 3 year, $19+ million deal leaving the MLE to sign at least one really good shooter off the bench or starting level big to put Tatum on the bench.

That's a championship level team if everyone is healthy

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I'd rahter god forward with this team and see what they can do.

Kawhi is great but we don't know what his health situation actually is and we've never seen him outisde of the Spurs system. He's also a lot more expensive than just haning on to Brown and Tatum and seeing what they can be.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would love to trade for Leonard, but would not be willing to give up a package similar to what it would take to get AD (Brown, Horford, Sac pick, Mem pick). I think you either need remove Brown or remove the Sac pick. Eddie's idea below is about what I think it should take given that he obviously has injury issues, may have 'attitude' issues, and can just tell any interested 'bad' teams that he won't re-sign with them.

When we acquired Kyrie, there were still two years left on his contract - same with AD. Kawhi, as great as he is, may bring back a package closer to what Indy got for Paul George (which actually ended up pretty good).