Author Topic: Hornets win by 61  (Read 2388 times)

Re: Hornets win by 61
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Remember this thread?

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=95493.0

This game is Exhibit A.  It's well into motion

Thanks for sharing that. Last night was a pretty good example of how horrible the NBA is right now. The Memphis Charlotte game was obviously also. However, the Hawks Kings game was one that both teams wanted to lose. The Hawks started Damion Lee, Mike Muscala and Isiah Taylor with Andrew White, Josh Magette and Tyler Dorsey playing significant minutes. They outtanked the Kings who played some actual NBA vets and legit young players.

Philadelphia got to play another tanking game and Orlando did not put up a fight. It was their 5th straight tanking win. While all teams obviously play the same schedule, Philly is benefitting from the tanking more than other team. When the teams that played Memphis, Orlando and the Knicks earlier in the season they were still putting in effort to win playing guys like Gasol, Evans, Wright, Porzingas, Vucevic, Gordon etc major minutes. Now all these guys are not playing at all or playing 25 or less. The 76ers will play their first game against a team trying to win in almost 2 weeks on saturday.

Finally, Utah picked up a pretty easy win against a Dallas team that mostly packed in it and Houston won a sloppy low scoring affair in overtime 100-96.

Not really NBA basketball.
The Sixers are benefitting because they played the toughest 1st half schedule.  Their series with us, Toronto, Houston and GSW complete in the 1st half.  That's why I said if they were close to a .500 team after the 1st half of the season and Embiid stayed healthy that they'd make the playoffs.  I didn't expect them to be competing for the 3rd spot but I didn't expect Embiid to have already played 60 games with 11 games left in the season. 

Re: Hornets win by 61
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
which grizzlies pick do we have again? 2019 first right? but protected or something?
2019 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-8 in 2019 and 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 [Boston-Memphis-New Orleans, 1/12/2015]

You can see all the future pick details here. 
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
That 2021 pick is looking good. Memphis will be looking to tank for at least the next two years. And young teams, even with elite young talent, are destined to lose for several years.

I don't think Memphis wants to give up a good pick. My guess is they try to flip their high pick this summer for some talent right now and make another run at it with Conley, Gasol, and whoever they can trade for.
I don't think Memphis can afford to tank in their market but I think they'll probably keep the pick.  With Conley returning from injury and Gasol in decline and the strength in the West, it is not clear they could even make a run.