Author Topic: where would Donovan Mitchell be selcted in a re-draft?  (Read 6602 times)

Re: where would Donovan Mitchell be selcted in a re-draft?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No way he'd go below 5.

I think its within the realm of possibility he goes #1.

I'd imagine the top 3 in a redraft would be Ball, Tatum, Mitchell in whatever order. Jackson and Fultz would be 4 and 5

Why would Fultz still go that high? Isn't the point of doing this is that you know everything that has happened since the draft?

Or are you saying someone would still take a shot at seriously injured/broken stroke Fultz at 5?
I think someone would absolutely take a shot at a injured/broken stroke Fultz at 5.

I think Tatum, Mitchell, Jackson and Ball are better and would go before him, but after that this draft just doesnt have anyone else who inspires me.

Markanen is nice, Fox is nice, Frank is good, Kuzma is nice, DSJ is alright. I just think I'd rather take a chance on Markelle figuring out that jumper than any of those guys, none of whom do I see being much better than solid starters.

More I think about it, Id go Tatum-Mitchell-Jackson-Ball-Fultz. After that the draft is still really good, but I think the star power ends at 5.

Markannen, Fox and D Smith Jr each have star potential. I have to seriously doubt Fultz has it at this point.

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think Mitchell is the easy choice for #1. He's been nothing short of spectacular for Utah.

Tatum goes #2 for as good as he has been.

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think Mitchell is the easy choice for #1. He's been nothing short of spectacular for Utah.

Tatum goes #1 because he is 6'9"

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »

Offline Mempitt18

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Redrafting the 2017 NBA Draft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j4Ei5BiWpc

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 02:15:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

He's also 18 months younger.

Length and age.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Can't do redrafts after one year. If you did Rozier would have been drafted in the 2nd round in a redraft. Today, its arguable that he is probably a top 10 player coming out of that draft because he developed.

With so many players below 21 years of age being drafted, most are drafted on potential and that potential needs time to develop. So though Ball and Fultz may not have had the best rookie years, their potential to develop into much more is still off the charts.

Gotta wait and see.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 02:27:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Can't do redrafts after one year. If you did Rozier would have been drafted in the 2nd round in a redraft. Today, its arguable that he is probably a top 10 player coming out of that draft because he developed.

With so many players below 21 years of age being drafted, most are drafted on potential and that potential needs time to develop. So though Ball and Fultz may not have had the best rookie years, their potential to develop into much more is still off the charts.

Gotta wait and see.
I mean, you can do a redraft after just a year, it's just that there probably won't be too too much movement because so many of these guys develop slowly etc etc.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Gotta wait and see.
I mean, you can do a redraft after just a year, it's just that there probably won't be too too much movement because so many of these guys develop slowly etc etc.
TP. You're right. You can do them. Its just the results probably won't stand the test of time as players need to develop to reach their potential.

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 03:01:05 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Reminds me of just last season when everyone talked up Brogdon. I'm not saying Mitchell won't be a star but a lot of people were hating on JB and others because of Brogdon (or is it brogdan?). 1 season is far too early.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 03:13:32 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
No way he'd go below 5.

I'd imagine the top 3 in a redraft would be Ball, Tatum, Mitchell in whatever order. Jackson and Fultz would be 4 and 5

Why would Fultz still go that high? Isn't the point of doing this is that you know everything that has happened since the draft?

Or are you saying someone would still take a shot at seriously injured/broken stroke Fultz at 5?
I think someone would absolutely take a shot at a injured/broken stroke Fultz at 5.

I think Tatum, Mitchell, Jackson and Ball are better and would go before him, but after that this draft just doesnt have anyone else who inspires me.

Markanen is nice, Fox is nice, Frank is good, Kuzma is nice, DSJ is alright. I just think I'd rather take a chance on Markelle figuring out that jumper than any of those guys, none of whom do I see being much better than solid starters.

More I think about it, Id go Tatum-Mitchell-Jackson-Ball-Fultz. After that the draft is still really good, but I think the star power ends at 5.

Markannen, Fox and D Smith Jr each have star potential. I have to seriously doubt Fultz has it at this point.

Yeah, any GM that didn’t win a title within 5 years (job security) would not be taking Fultz over Fox or Markkanen right now. People thought Fox had a shot to be the best pg in the draft and he looks good, Markenen is the faster player ever to 100 3’s (can’t be blocked) and can rebound and block shots.

Fultz can do... well we don’t know. I’m not writing him off but not even his mother would redraft him top 5.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Everybody forgetting about Lonzo Ball or what lol. Jk, I saw him chucking up 3's and jump shots against the Pelicans the other night. He doesn't look like a #2 pick to me these days.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

He's also 18 months younger.

Length and age.

Yeah, and beyond that when you look at the advanced stats Tatum has been substantially more efficient in significantly less touches and usage than Mitchell. I think Tatum would easily be matching or better if he was coming anywhere close to Mitchell’s usage rate and touches.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No way he'd go below 5.

Yeah, any GM that didn’t win a title within 5 years (job security) would not be taking Fultz over Fox or Markkanen right now. People thought Fox had a shot to be the best pg in the draft and he looks good, Markenen is the faster player ever to 100 3’s (can’t be blocked) and can rebound and block shots.

Fultz can do... well we don’t know. I’m not writing him off but not even his mother would redraft him top 5.
10 points, 8 assists, overall showed why he was the 1st pick as he got to the basket at will.  Did have 3 shots blocked and his first shot was an airball, so there are obviously some rust factors, but if he can get to the rim like that and pass like that he could live up to being taken as the #1 pick.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
No way he'd go below 5.

10 points, 8 assists, overall showed why he was the 1st pick as he got to the basket at will.  Did have 3 shots blocked and his first shot was an airball, so there are obviously some rust factors, but if he can get to the rim like that and pass like that he could live up to being taken as the #1 pick.
The people claiming Fultz out of the top 5 in a redraft aren't getting this is atill season 1 and Fultz has amazing upside. If he gets his shotback, the predictions of Fultz being redrafted out of the lottery are going to age very poorly.

I think people are going to be surprused in a couple years with just how good Fultz and Ball are.

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Mitchell should be ahead of Tatum as far as RotY goes, but not a hypothetical re-draft.

Tatum was widely considered to have the highest floor of anybody in the draft, but people seriously underestimated his ceiling. I believe his scoring will become elite, his defense and rebounding could be a major plus as well.

Mitchell has been spectacular in a role tailor-made for him. He deserves Rookie of the Year. But Tatum will have the better career, and I’d be surprised if it’s even close by the end of their rookie contracts.
CELTICS 2024