Author Topic: 1 game playoff for 8-10 seeds in NBA  (Read 2251 times)

Re: 1 game playoff for 8-10 seeds in NBA
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Terrible idea.  I don't see why this would cause more teams to try to win more.  This proposal allows you to be even worse and still have a shot at the playoffs.  The proposal incentivizes teams to finish 9th or 10th over 7th or 8th.  This year Charlotte with a 30-41 record so far would be in position to make the playoffs and have a chance to get a top lottery pick.  Why would we want to reward that?  In the West, Denver and LAC are still trying to win to make the playoffs.  Under this proposal, they would coast to a 9th and 10th finish. 

Also it isn't just one extra day.  The 7th seed hosts the 8th seed while 9th seed hosts the 10th seed.  Then the loser of the 1st game hosts the winner of the 2nd game.   So it would be 2 game days and 2 travel days at a minimum.

It would make more sense if it was single elimination and the 7th played the 10th once and the 8th played the 9th. You could easily do all 4 of those games on a saturday and start the regular playoffs the next day. The goal is that these are not the real playoffs, much like the wild card playin in game. It will be funny if this happens given how much everyone hates it. I don't feel that strongly negative towards it cause I don't think of it as really making the playoffs to play one single elimination game (i don't consider the teams that play in the play in ncaa games really in the tournament either)
Not sure what wildcard play in game that you are referring to.  The NCAA tournament is great but I'm not sure I've ever watched the play in games as you refer to them.  64 teams was just fine.

So 68 teams make the tournament... this has been true for years. It clearly hasn't ruined the NCAA tourney if you think the event is great and haven't noticed the play in games. Syracuse, alive in the sweet 16 was actually in the play in game this year against arizona state.

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
What they should do is have the bottom 8 play a single elimination tournament for the right to the top pick.  That might be worth watching. 

If we're looking for single elimination action...
Yup

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 10:17:51 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The last thing this league needs is more playoff teams and a longer season. I'll pass.

It's literally 1 extra day, they could even do this in the exact same amount of time as the system currently has cause they have built in so much extra rest as is and they don't want to reward the lower seeds with additional rest (Much like MLB). So the second concern isn't really valid. I would say this year in the West there are 10 teams that deserve to make playoffs. Obviously not true in east.
Its not just 1 extra day because the NBA would never put 4 playoff games on in one night. Also, the logistics would need to be taken into consideration as other events may be happening in the buildings the games are happening in. So it could push the season as long as 3-5 days longer as other events could be happening in the buildings the games are to be played in. Baseball takes place in baseball stadiums. Those facilities are wide open after the baseball season. Basketball takes place in multiple event facilities where hockey, wrestling, concerts, just about anything could be scheduled. Its not just a one day thing. If anything I want the season shortened, not lengthened.

This is a good point that’s not just one extra day.  A way around this is to go back to a 5 game format for the first round, or maybe limit preseason games even further.  I have mixed feelings about doing this though.

I kind of like the non playoff teams in a single game elimination tournament for lottery pick positioning. Haha of course this gets tricky when you have teams holding other teams picks. 

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 11:40:27 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Any improvement to the playoff format would look to cut down on meaningless games. These 1-8 first round sweeps throw off the schedule when other series go 7.

The 5 game 1st round gave a greater chance at an upset, but the best part was getting it over quick.

How about a 1st round bye for #1 seeds, with only 7 making the postseason in each conference. Some incentive to win the conference.

There are more playoff teams than lottery teams. I'd reverse that.

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 12:57:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What they should do is have the bottom 8 play a single elimination tournament for the right to the top pick.  That might be worth watching. 

I'm sure people would watch, as there would be something meaningful on the line, but I honestly think it's the worst idea I've heard yet.

I saw this suggested in an ESPN article recently and had to laugh.  It (hopefully) has no chance of ever happening. I totally get that people want to eliminate tanking.  But penalizing the truly bad teams and preventing them from ever having a shot a top pick is a very bad idea.

The league really just needs to go back to the lottery odds they had in place in the early 90's.  The fact so many people freaked out over Orlando winning the Weber lottery really is what started all this.  Teams rarely ever tanked so outright back then.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 01:16:26 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Corny.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I just think the 9 seed ( best team not in the playoffs ) should get the most chances for top picks.
All teams will fight till the last game .
Can’t reward losing.
In most leagues around the world worst team will drop to a lower league ...

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 09:17:09 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I'm sure people would watch, as there would be something meaningful on the line, but I honestly think it's the worst idea I've heard yet.

I saw this suggested in an ESPN article recently and had to laugh.  It (hopefully) has no chance of ever happening. I totally get that people want to eliminate tanking.  But penalizing the truly bad teams and preventing them from ever having a shot a top pick is a very bad idea.

The league really just needs to go back to the lottery odds they had in place in the early 90's.  The fact so many people freaked out over Orlando winning the Weber lottery really is what started all this.  Teams rarely ever tanked so outright back then.

Worst ever?  Worse than New Coke or that time I used Ben Gay for a strained groin? 
Yup