Author Topic: 1 game playoff for 8-10 seeds in NBA  (Read 2250 times)

1 game playoff for 8-10 seeds in NBA
« on: March 21, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I actually like this idea. Right now the NBA has half of it's game unwatchable because literally half the league would prefer to lose. While the Pistons and Hornets suck, I wouldn't think it would be an affront to the sport if they got to play in a one game playoff. It would also keep the seeding interesting till the end of the season as teams would desperately try to get into the 6th seed.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22858323/cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james-not-favor-idea-nba-playoff-play-tournament-one-done-consequences

Re: 1 game playoff for 8-10 seeds in NBA
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The last thing this league needs is more playoff teams and a longer season. I'll pass.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 03:07:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Playoffs are already way too long & stretched out.  Don't need more of it. 

I'm sure the league would love to bleed a little more TV money out of their broadcast partners, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
we talked about this on here about a month ago when the story first came out and the general consensus was that it was a terrible idea.  And it was 7-10.  7 and 8 would play, with the winner being the 7th seed.  Then the loser of that game would play the winner of the 9 and 10 game and that team would be the 8th seed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
The last thing this league needs is more playoff teams and a longer season. I'll pass.

It's literally 1 extra day, they could even do this in the exact same amount of time as the system currently has cause they have built in so much extra rest as is and they don't want to reward the lower seeds with additional rest (Much like MLB). So the second concern isn't really valid. I would say this year in the West there are 10 teams that deserve to make playoffs. Obviously not true in east.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's literally 1 extra day, they could even do this in the exact same amount of time as the system currently has cause they have built in so much extra rest as is and they don't want to reward the lower seeds with additional rest (Much like MLB). So the second concern isn't really valid. I would say this year in the West there are 10 teams that deserve to make playoffs. Obviously not true in east.

It's just unnecessary.  People clamoring to see a Heat/Hornets game on TruTV or something?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 03:16:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

There are rarely 9 teams that really deserve to make the playoffs, and 10 is just crazy except in a very strange year like this one might be.   I mean seriously last year the East would have had 41 and 37 wins teams and the West would have had 40 and 34 win teams with a shot at the playoffs.  The year before that 42 and 41 from East and 40 and 33 from West.  year before that 38 and 37 from East and 45 and 39 from West.  Year before that 37 and 33 from East and 48 and 40 from West.  year before that 34 and 34 from East and 43 and 41 from West.

In other words, there hasn't been a season where 2 teams that were above .500 missed the playoffs in any recent seasons and there have been at least 2 teams with wins in the mid-30's that would under this scenario.  You certainly feel bad for a 48 win Phoenix team (or the 45 win Thunder team) that gets left out, but the solution isn't to let a 33 win Cavs or a 37 win Knicks team in (along with a 40 win Wolves). 

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Its not just 1 extra day because the NBA would never put 4 playoff games on in one night. Also, the logistics would need to be taken into consideration as other events may be happening in the buildings the games are happening in. So it could push the season as long as 3-5 days longer as other events could be happening in the buildings the games are to be played in. Baseball takes place in baseball stadiums. Those facilities are wide open after the baseball season. Basketball takes place in multiple event facilities where hockey, wrestling, concerts, just about anything could be scheduled. Its not just a one day thing. If anything I want the season shortened, not lengthened.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

There are rarely 9 teams that really deserve to make the playoffs, and 10 is just crazy except in a very strange year like this one might be.   I mean seriously last year the East would have had 41 and 37 wins teams and the West would have had 40 and 34 win teams with a shot at the playoffs.  The year before that 42 and 41 from East and 40 and 33 from West.  year before that 38 and 37 from East and 45 and 39 from West.  Year before that 37 and 33 from East and 48 and 40 from West.  year before that 34 and 34 from East and 43 and 41 from West.

In other words, there hasn't been a season where 2 teams that were above .500 missed the playoffs in any recent seasons and there have been at least 2 teams with wins in the mid-30's that would under this scenario.  You certainly feel bad for a 48 win Phoenix team that gets left out, but the solution isn't to let a 33 win Cavs or a 37 win Knicks team in (along with a 40 win Wolves).

I was more thinking about the benefits of just watching teams that are trying to win. I agree with you that these teams don't deserve to make it. However, right now literally half the games teams are trying to lose them and they are not worth watching. Worse still you have so many teams getting free wins cause the other team isn't trying anymore and is sitting their good players. I am all for any proposal that stops that.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

In other words, there hasn't been a season where 2 teams that were above .500 missed the playoffs in any recent seasons and there have been at least 2 teams with wins in the mid-30's that would under this scenario.  You certainly feel bad for a 48 win Phoenix team that gets left out, but the solution isn't to let a 33 win Cavs or a 37 win Knicks team in (along with a 40 win Wolves).

I was more thinking about the benefits of just watching teams that are trying to win. I agree with you that these teams don't deserve to make it. However, right now literally half the games teams are trying to lose them and they are not worth watching. Worse still you have so many teams getting free wins cause the other team isn't trying anymore and is sitting their good players. I am all for any proposal that stops that.
This proposal wouldn't stop that though.  And as you say because there are so many teams trying to lose, the 9th and 10th place teams have win totals better than they actually are or would have in a more normal non-tank year.  The 9th and 10th place teams in a conference just quite frankly aren't good enough to make the playoffs.  Over half the teams already make the playoffs, they don't need to add anymore.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 06:26:55 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Terrible idea.  I don't see why this would cause more teams to try to win more.  This proposal allows you to be even worse and still have a shot at the playoffs.  The proposal incentivizes teams to finish 9th or 10th over 7th or 8th.  This year Charlotte with a 30-41 record so far would be in position to make the playoffs and have a chance to get a top lottery pick.  Why would we want to reward that?  In the West, Denver and LAC are still trying to win to make the playoffs.  Under this proposal, they would coast to a 9th and 10th finish. 

Also it isn't just one extra day.  The 7th seed hosts the 8th seed while 9th seed hosts the 10th seed.  Then the loser of the 1st game hosts the winner of the 2nd game.   So it would be 2 game days and 2 travel days at a minimum. 

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
This is called fixing a problem that isn’t there. Also it could end up promoting mediocrity.

What if you’re a young 7 seed and realize it’s better to try your shot at the lottery? Do you lose both games on purpose?

If the lottery balls are set in place before this “play-in” what happens if a team makes the playoffs and lands in the top 3 of the lottery? Would that be fair?

I hate this idea!

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Terrible idea.  I don't see why this would cause more teams to try to win more.  This proposal allows you to be even worse and still have a shot at the playoffs.  The proposal incentivizes teams to finish 9th or 10th over 7th or 8th.  This year Charlotte with a 30-41 record so far would be in position to make the playoffs and have a chance to get a top lottery pick.  Why would we want to reward that?  In the West, Denver and LAC are still trying to win to make the playoffs.  Under this proposal, they would coast to a 9th and 10th finish. 

Also it isn't just one extra day.  The 7th seed hosts the 8th seed while 9th seed hosts the 10th seed.  Then the loser of the 1st game hosts the winner of the 2nd game.   So it would be 2 game days and 2 travel days at a minimum.

It would make more sense if it was single elimination and the 7th played the 10th once and the 8th played the 9th. You could easily do all 4 of those games on a saturday and start the regular playoffs the next day. The goal is that these are not the real playoffs, much like the wild card playin in game. It will be funny if this happens given how much everyone hates it. I don't feel that strongly negative towards it cause I don't think of it as really making the playoffs to play one single elimination game (i don't consider the teams that play in the play in ncaa games really in the tournament either)

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I love this idea and coupled with going back to the lottery odds they used back in the 90's (prior to everyone crying about Orlando winning the lottery), would go a long ways in helping to curb blatant tanking.

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

It would make more sense if it was single elimination and the 7th played the 10th once and the 8th played the 9th. You could easily do all 4 of those games on a saturday and start the regular playoffs the next day. The goal is that these are not the real playoffs, much like the wild card playin in game. It will be funny if this happens given how much everyone hates it. I don't feel that strongly negative towards it cause I don't think of it as really making the playoffs to play one single elimination game (i don't consider the teams that play in the play in ncaa games really in the tournament either)
Not sure what wildcard play in game that you are referring to.  The NCAA tournament is great but I'm not sure I've ever watched the play in games as you refer to them.  64 teams was just fine.