Author Topic: I think its time to play Yabusele instead of Ojeleye  (Read 2694 times)

I think its time to play Yabusele instead of Ojeleye
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:50:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I have seen enough of Ojeleye.

I appreciate the effort, but I think Yabusele deserves a shot at least.

Re: I think its time to play Yabusele instead of Ojeleye
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:28:42 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Semi is out there for defense only. He does a pretty good job. He most of the time stays on his feet and doesn't go for the fakes. Yabu would constantly in in the air trying to block the shots and getting fouls from the small sample size that I have seen.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:12:33 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
If yabusele replaces someone, I would prefer it to be Nader.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yabu had his shot and apparently Brad values Semi's defense more.  I am actually surprised at how raw Yabu is.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:04:01 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
At Semi can wall defend his man. Once he learns to stop swiping down he'll be fine. No interest in seeing anymore Yabu I'm unsure he even belongs in the NBA. He looks James Young lost out there.
ok fine

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yabu had his shot and apparently Brad values Semi's defense more.  I am actually surprised at how raw Yabu is.

Yabu played good defense the last time he got reasonable minutes, the game he started.  He is at least a threat from the 3. He also is a better rebounder than Semi. 

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 11:17:26 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yabu played good defense the last time he got reasonable minutes, the game he started.  He is at least a threat from the 3. He also is a better rebounder than Semi.

I'd rather give Yabu the minutes. He may not be better, but he does have more upside and the reps could help his development.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 11:45:57 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Yabu seems like he'd certainly be an offensive upgrade, it'd be hard not to be.  He does get lost at times, so that's probably why he's not playing.  I'd be down with seeing him get minutes, but I'm guessing Brad has a better handle on this than me.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I have seen enough of Ojeleye.

I appreciate the effort, but I think Yabusele deserves a shot at least.
So that's your plan?  Well, this dude sucks, might as well throw in the other guy and see what happens.

Great.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:37:03 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Semi is out there for defense only. He does a pretty good job. He most of the time stays on his feet and doesn't go for the fakes. Yabu would constantly in in the air trying to block the shots and getting fouls from the small sample size that I have seen.

Defense is not this team's problem.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't particularly care who Stevens plays out of Yabusele, Nader and Ojeleye. As NBA players go, they all suck because none of them are ready for the NBA yet. I would have preferred a world where Nader and Semi were our 2 way players, Yabu was stashed another year and we had 3 vet min players in their place when the season started.

Should be interesting to see who of the three are still with the team next year when the Cs should move into contender status.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't particularly care who Stevens plays out of Yabusele, Nader and Ojeleye. As NBA players go, they all suck because none of them are ready for the NBA yet. I would have preferred a world where Nader and Semi were our 2 way players, Yabu was stashed another year and we had 3 vet min players in their place when the season started.

Should be interesting to see who of the three are still with the team next year when the Cs should move into contender status.

Yeah, that seems like such a perfect scenario where they could (hopefully) develop without sacrificing valuable roster spots. Let's also not forget that Tatum and Theis, 2 more rookies, exceeded expectations. We could've been in a real dire situation had they not.

I'm certain that Ainge would do things differently if he had known those 3 guys would've brought so little to the table.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Considering this is Yabu's first season, this reaction is full circle and extra knee-jerky.  We knew he was raw from the moment we drafted him. Last year confused us.  But we did it to ourselves, believing in the CBA.  We know the Chinese league isn't remotely a good league.  This year has been a return to our original reaction.  He is raw.  And where I differ from some of criticism is that he isn't James Young.  Sure, he doesn't know where he should be on offense because no one knows where he should be on offense.  The league is asking bigs to do everything.  Play inside and outside and in-between and pass and defend the rim and the pick and roll.  I'm surprised Yabu has managed to see daylight with the amount of crap being thrown at him. 

The thing we should take away from his season is that he is learning.  He is becoming the role player that no one envisioned.  He hustles. He passes. He is learning to pick his spots.  In that first start against the Wizards, he really put things together in 18 minutes.  Although Stevens isn't ready to trust this sporadic Frenchman just yet, I'm satisfied knowing what Ainge and brass saw when they drafted this project.  Does it mean playing him over guys like Nader or Ojeleye, I don't care, as long as he learns the right way and can convert those lessons into deserving play next season, I think everything will be on track. 

As for Ojeleye, I think he is working through some of the same things as Yabu but in a wildly different scenario.  The difference is that he has to do in real minutes.  Going out and learning from the big boys can shake your confidence, Ojeleye has managed to balance our earning Steven's trust and finding a way to improve.  It is obvious that the team is asking him to follow the same suit as Smart.  A road of extended minutes but never in the spotlight.  Always the coal shoveler, never the conductor.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:21:40 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Yabu and Semi aren't really interchangeable as players. Semi is getting time because he can play defense at the 3 where the Celts have injury problems, is strong enough to switch onto bigs and quick enough to switch onto guards. I'm not saying he can guard 1-5, too many people have thrown that out there. You wouldn't assign him to defend a guard or a center full time, but he's versatile enough to switch for a bit without getting eaten up, that's valuable. Yabu is more of a big who can switch onto swings.

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, that seems like such a perfect scenario where they could (hopefully) develop without sacrificing valuable roster spots. Let's also not forget that Tatum and Theis, 2 more rookies, exceeded expectations. We could've been in a real dire situation had they not.

I'm certain that Ainge would do things differently if he had known those 3 guys would've brought so little to the table.

...or that Kyrie, Hayward, Brown, Smart, and Theis would miss major time or have season ending injuries (and only Brown is slated to not miss the rest of thee season). That starting 5 would be a top 3 team in the conference.

But I totally agree. I (along with others) was screaming for Ainge to sign G. Green at the start of the season. He was a great locker room guy and proved he could produce when given the opportunity.