Author Topic: I'm Fine With Shutting Guys Down  (Read 1832 times)

I'm Fine With Shutting Guys Down
« on: March 20, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
As much as I'd love to see this team make a deep playoff run this year, I would not mind if they decided to shut Kyrie down for the rest of the year, as well as Smart.

Injuries have just killed us this year, and as a result we unfortunately won't be able to truly contend for Banner 18 this year, if people thought we had a chance.

That said, I never thought this was going to be our Banner year anyways, but that next year was going to be the start of our "dynasty" and the year we officially begin our trek towards Banner 18. That thinking was caused by the roster turnover that occurred last summer, the continued reign of Lebron's Cavaliers and the Warriors and it was kind of emphasized even further when we sadly lost Hayward 6 minutes into the year.   :(

We certainly could match up very well against the likes of Golden State and Houston, but again, injuries have just hampered our chances.

But once we get back a healthy Hayward, Kyrie, Smart, and Theis next year, and hopefully add a few more pieces (via small trades/signings and draft picks), we could make a run for Banner 18 next year, and hope teams like the Warriors and Cavaliers sink a bit (could especially be true depending on what Lebron does this summer).

I don't mean this to be a doom and gloom thread, but I frankly think even if Kyrie returns and Smart does too, it's going to be extremely difficult just to make it to the ECF, especially if we draw CLE in the 2nd round (which looks likely), so I would not mind shutting down Kyrie and Smart for the year and looking long term/ahead.

The last thing we need is for Kyrie's injury to become a legitimate career issue (meaning... he never gets it fixed and just tries to play through it, instead of resting and doing whatever is necessary NOW and this off-season to get it close to 90-100%).  It's probably also what the C's are thinking with Hayward's rehab and why they've been super hesitant to say there's a chance Hayward returns this year (which is understandable).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: I'm Fine With Shutting Guys Down
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
As much as I'd love to see this team make a deep playoff run this year, I would not mind if they decided to shut Kyrie down for the rest of the year, as well as Smart.

Injuries have just killed us this year, and as a result we unfortunately won't be able to truly contend for Banner 18 this year, if people thought we had a chance.

That said, I never thought this was going to be our Banner year anyways, but that next year was going to be the start of our "dynasty" and the year we officially begin our trek towards Banner 18. That thinking was caused by the roster turnover that occurred last summer, the continued reign of Lebron's Cavaliers and the Warriors and it was kind of emphasized even further when we sadly lost Hayward 6 minutes into the year.   :(

We certainly could match up very well against the likes of Golden State and Houston, but again, injuries have just hampered our chances.

But once we get back a healthy Hayward, Kyrie, Smart, and Theis next year, and hopefully add a few more pieces (via small trades/signings and draft picks), we could make a run for Banner 18 next year, and hope teams like the Warriors and Cavaliers sink a bit (could especially be true depending on what Lebron does this summer).

I don't mean this to be a doom and gloom thread, but I frankly think even if Kyrie returns and Smart does too, it's going to be extremely difficult just to make it to the ECF, especially if we draw CLE in the 2nd round (which looks likely), so I would not mind shutting down Kyrie and Smart for the year and looking long term/ahead.

The last thing we need is for Kyrie's injury to become a legitimate career issue (meaning... he never gets it fixed and just tries to play through it, instead of resting and doing whatever is necessary now and this off-season to get it close to 100%).  It's probably also what the C's are thinking with Hayward's rehab and why they've been super hesitant to say there's a chance Hayward returns this year (which is understandable, and now looking very likely).

Unless, of course, 2019 is a repeat of 2018. I wish I could say that this season's rash of injuries is a fluke, but Boston's had quite a few seasons dampened by injuries in the last decade.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 07:02:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

The last thing we need is for Kyrie's injury to become a legitimate career issue (meaning... he never gets it fixed and just tries to play through it, instead of resting and doing whatever is necessary now and this off-season to get it close to 100%).  It's probably also what the C's are thinking with Hayward's rehab and why they've been super hesitant to say there's a chance Hayward returns this year (which is understandable, and now looking very likely).

Unless, of course, 2019 is a repeat of 2018. I wish I could say that this season's rash of injuries is a fluke, but Boston's had quite a few seasons dampened by injuries in the last decade.

Yeah, fair enough.

Still mad with how 2009 turned out with KG's injury and the years after that w/his knee.

What could have been....

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Yeah, fair enough.

Still mad with how 2009 turned out with KG's injury and the years after that w/his knee.

What could have been....

Ugh, yeah. I expected 3, maybe 4, consecutive titles. We'd be so far ahead of the Lakers right now in the title count!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 10:45:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, fair enough.

What could have been....

Ugh, yeah. I expected 3, maybe 4, consecutive titles. We'd be so far ahead of the Lakers right now in the title count!

I'm glad we won in 2008 no doubt, but yeah the fact that we only won one in that era was a shame, and a bit unlucky too.

Makes me also wonder what could have been if we had CBS instead of Doc during those years.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 11:52:18 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

2019 could turn out to be like 2010. Except, the Celtics win the NBA Finals in 7 games.  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 01:09:53 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
At this rate I would not be surprised if one of the Celtics home commentators gets shut down for the season, with laryngitis.

It's that time of the year.

Big up to Marcus Morris for holding down the fort.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 01:36:20 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
At this rate I would not be surprised if one of the Celtics home commentators gets shut down for the season, with laryngitis.

It's that time of the year.

Big up to Marcus Morris for holding down the fort.
Haha, who are the replacements if Tommy and Mike go down? Scal and somebody probably?
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 03:24:49 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
No. There's no guarantee that next season we will be healthy, but the only thing sure enough is we will be one year older. So go fore it, we are the Celtics. Unless ofcourse the guys can't go and you really have no other option then to sit them...

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Today could be "Judgement Day" for this season/playoffs as Kyrie gets the 2nd opinion on his knee.

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
After watching what happened to IT  and thinking back to Grant hill with that Ankle injury... I am kinda hoping that KI is shut down and just gets that screw issue taken care of...    Would be a shame to risk it all at age 25...