Author Topic: Kyrie could need screws removed from knee and be out for season  (Read 5393 times)

Re: Kyrie could need screws removed from knee and be out for season
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If there's any chance at all that he can make things worse by not getting the surgery, he should get it done.
yup we can't afford to have Kyrie get IT'd
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
The curse of IT strikes again!

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 10:34:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I knew Kyrie had injury issues. Didn't know he had screws in his knee. Can't believe Danny made this trade knowing that? Or, maybe I should believe it because of the Raef LaFrenz deal.

Overreact much?

Not unusual that he has screws in his knee after breaking the kneecap.  There's really no reason to freak out, it's common.

Sounds like the screws are causing irritation. Removing them is a relatively simple procedure.

This was my understanding of that issue too.  I'm also dealing with it at the moment.  Seems wise to agree with the resident expert, too.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 11:04:01 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
How about just waiting to see what's going to happen.  All of this speculation, observation, hesitations, deliberations, prognosis, diagnosis, analysis, hypothesis, hacks quotes, polls and votes, rockin boats, hoping we stay afloat, bad trades, hoping we didn't get played, decisions swayed over bad moves made. Just wait it out and enjoy the race it'll make this blog a much happier place!  ;D
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 11:25:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I knew Kyrie had injury issues. Didn't know he had screws in his knee. Can't believe Danny made this trade knowing that? Or, maybe I should believe it because of the Raef LaFrenz deal.

Overreact much?

Not unusual that he has screws in his knee after breaking the kneecap.  There's really no reason to freak out, it's common.

Sounds like the screws are causing irritation. Removing them is a relatively simple procedure.

This was my understanding of that issue too.  I'm also dealing with it at the moment.  Seems wise to agree with the resident expert, too.

A relatively simple procedure that would put him out for the rest of the season though

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 11:34:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Overreact much?

A relatively simple procedure that would put him out for the rest of the season though
I'd be stunned if he got this done before we were eliminated from the playoffs.

Stunned.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Overreact much?

Yep, unfortunately.  With all the injuries, I think it may be wise to prioritize long-term health this year.  I wouldn't put it past them to still make a little playoff push that'd be fun to watch too. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:12 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Overreact much?

He could make a return in the playoffs. Ruling him out at this point would mean ruling him out for the regular season. Could he miss time in the post season? Sure. The knee's weight bearing and not handling it properly could cause an assortment of issues (he's already dealt with quad issues this season), so MD's tend to air on the side of caution when giving timetables for return after knee issues.

My guess is that the 2nd opinion is to make sure it's only the screws causing issues and that removing them or delaying the procedure by continuing to play on the knee as is wouldn't compromise the integrity of the joint. 2nd opinions are standard and shouldn't cause alarm. It's due diligence.

Tar - sorry to hear you're dealing with it now. I've dealt with it from both sides. It sucks, but irritation usually means your bones are healing/have healed properly and don't need the help anymore, so stay positive.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:34:16 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 01:17:28 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not too confident about next season. Injuries are always a possibility for every team, but they've been a confirmed fact for Boston just about every season for nearly a decade (going back to KG's knee). 2019 could be a repeat of 2018.

What is it with you people, always blaming me for everything... :blank:

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 07:21:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's all Rondo's fault.... JK

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 07:47:22 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm just going to accept the worst case scenario and try to push the reset button in my mind.  If Kyrie can play near 100% then it's all gravy. 

As long as Jaylen is healthy I will get pumped for the playoffs as usual.  Even without Kyrie I believe this team will be less prone to blowout losses compared to the group from last year.  A deep second round run is probably the ceiling.  It will be fun to watch Rozier, Jaylen, and Tatum in somewhat of an underdog role.   

The only thing that would really hurt is if the Warriors end up facing health issues severe enough to keep them out of the Finals.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:56:58 AM by Green-18 »

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 09:17:09 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If Irving is done for the season this is terrible new however I would rather see him take care of knee now and be ready for the next 5 years.

This seasons championship hopes went out the window when Hayward got hurt. This team has played amazing and with everyone but Hayward looked capable on making the Finals. The current health of the roster has obviously limited my expectations and I am ok with Irving getting a jump start on making sure he is healthy and ready for next season. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
If Irving is done for the season this is terrible new however I would rather see him take care of knee now and be ready for the next 5 years.

This seasons championship hopes went out the window when Hayward got hurt. This team has played amazing and with everyone but Hayward looked capable on making the Finals. The current health of the roster has obviously limited my expectations and I am ok with Irving getting a jump start on making sure he is healthy and ready for next season.
BINGO

TP
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 08:55:39 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get Kyrie healthy for next year.
We weren't going to win a championship this year anyway.
Here's something to make you guys feel better....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXv44YL_Gio

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 10:31:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
First McHale and now Kyrie. Man, this franchise is screwed ;) ::) ;D.