Author Topic: Welp... Ante Zizic Looks Good  (Read 7685 times)

Re: Welp... Ante Zizic Looks Good
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 06:50:18 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The hype machine, for Zizic was ridiculous here, at least he was part of the package that got us Kyrie.  Funny how a guy with no hope like Daniel Theis is a way better player than all the hyped guys.

CB, sometime last year:
"I want a true rebounding 5!
I responded - Žižić does rebound, he always did.
"I want a true rebounding 5, that finishes around the rim!
- Žižić does finishes well there. His true shooting is .725 in the NBA!
"I want a true rebounding 5, that can finish around the rim and hit threes"
- ...That's a different pair of trousers.

Some guys are like my girlfriend.
I love you, but you can be difficult.
He is a rookie big that was the 23rd pick - put things in perspective, please.
At that spot, and at this stage of his career, you shouldn't expect a surefire starting quality dude.
He was never supposed to be a top-shelf talent.

As for Theis, the most of the louder forum members were down on him before they even saw him play...
Classic Euro diss
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:27:25 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I actually liked Theis a lot because I saw evidence of a motor and defensive instincts on the film.  Zizic like Nader lacks the foot speed on D for the NBA. 

My post was not a dig at you, thought it might have seen that day.   I can completely understand rooting for your countryman.   Sorry if it came across that way.  But there are others here that routinely hype the next unknown year after year with little to show for it.

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2018, 09:26:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I actually liked Theis a lot because I saw evidence of a motor and defensive instincts on the film.  Zizic like Nader lacks the foot speed on D for the NBA. 

My post was not a dig at you, though it might have seen that day. I can completely understand rooting for your countryman.  Sorry if it came across that way.  But there are others here that routinely hype the next unknown year after year with little to show for it.
Thank you for your consideration.
I guess we all hope for the best and we get carried away.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2018, 10:19:13 AM »

Offline ZoneD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Zizic has looked good recently but it's only a few games. Let's not get carried away but I'm happy for the guy that he's getting some play time and has looked decent. I still don't think he's a difference-maker for the Cavs though but good for him. I'm totally fine with having Theis instead long-term though.

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Someday he may actually be a useful NBA rotation player.
Slow big men that can't stretch the floor do 2 things in the NBA right now.  They plug up your offense and get your team destroyed on the perimeter on defense against the good teams.

Yeah, you just can't win with guys like that starting at center anymore ... oh wait.

Clint Capela
Zaza Pachulia
Jonas Valanciunas
Aron Baynes
Jusuf Nurkic
Steven Adams

Those are the starting centers on the 6 teams with the best records in the NBA right now.

I don't believe the whole lot of them have combined to shoot even one single 3PT shot all year.
All these center's besides Pachulia have at least one good skill.

Capela is an elite rebounder and rim protector
Valanciunas is a very strong rebounder and good scorer
Baynes is a good defender and rebounder
Nurkic is a good rebounder, passer and scorer
Adams is one of the best offensive rebounders in the league and is a solid scorer.

Zizic has worse physical profiles than all these guys besides Zaza, and is less skilled than all of them too. Even with Zaza, it's just a tad dishonest when he starts next to two MVP's, one DPOY and a 3&D All-Star.

My point is simply that the death of the conventional big man is vastly overstated.  I'm responding specifically to the comment I replied to.   You can win in the NBA with a conventional big man who is not a "stretch big".  And most of those guys are indeed slow.

In addition to the above guys, the Clippers have been a very good team the last few seasons with DAJ at the 5.

On Zizic, specifically, the point isn't to compare him.  I find it silly for him, at (barely) age 21, with a grand total of just 174 minutes played in the NBA, to be compared to any of those guys.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2018, 12:20:35 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
The hype machine, for Zizic was ridiculous here, at least he was part of the package that got us Kyrie.  Funny how a guy with no hope like Daniel Theis is a way better player than all the hyped guys.

CB, sometime last year:
"I want a true rebounding 5!
I responded - Žižić does rebound, he always did.
"I want a true rebounding 5, that finishes around the rim!
- Žižić does finishes well there. His true shooting is .725 in the NBA!
"I want a true rebounding 5, that can finish around the rim and hit threes"
- ...That's a different pair of trousers.

Some guys are like my girlfriend.
I love you, but you can be difficult.
He is a rookie big that was the 23rd pick - put things in perspective, please.
At that spot, and at this stage of his career, you shouldn't expect a surefire starting quality dude.
He was never supposed to be a top-shelf talent.

As for Theis, the most of the louder forum members were down on him before they even saw him play...
Classic Euro diss

One poster said that if were expecting good minutes from a 25 yr old undersized rookie we're in trouble.

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Summer league grounded our expectations on Zizic. Not missed.