Author Topic: IT not ruling out a return to the Celtics  (Read 3524 times)

IT not ruling out a return to the Celtics
« on: March 19, 2018, 12:49:40 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
https://sports.yahoo.com/isaiah-thomas-isnt-ruling-return-024234539.html

Quote from: TP, Yahoo
Isaiah Thomas back in green? Maybe there's a chance after all.

The former Celtics guard, now with the Lakers, started a Q&A session on Twitter and was asked whether he'd consider returning to Boston this offseason. This was his answer...

Quote from: TP, IT4
Isaiah Thomas
@isaiahthomas

Anything can happen

7:14 PM - 18 Mar 2018

Quote from: TP, tar
That's not a no.

Thomas has had a rough go of it since leaving the Celtics. His brief tenure in Cleveland didn't go according to plan, and things haven't gotten a whole lot better out in L.A. The 29-year-old is averaging 15.3 points per game just a year after averaging 28.9 with Boston.

Seems like he's handling the media well, even with some competitive jawing with Randall this week.  What else do you all think of the response?  Obviously it's not going to happen, but is IT just paying lip service?  Or showing that he's getting over it?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: IT not ruling out a return to the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 01:30:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It’s both lip service and trying to show he over it.

How his career has gone since being traded has humbled him. One year ago he was an MVP-candidate on an elite team. We all know what transpired since, between his personal life, his health, and now his career.

I, unlike some in here, don’t think he deserves it because of his height or some off-the-cuff “Brinks” remark. I feel for the guy. Those who watched him night in and night out know he gave us everything. Seeing how he was treated in Cleveland and then being relegated to the bench in LA I’m sure has made him appreciate Boston once again.

That said, I doubt there is any chance he returns here. He won’t be able to swallow his pride to backup Kyrie. For the MLE (most we could offer), there are plenty of teams that would take him, and for better roles. Don’t think he fits into our plans anymore with Rozier and Smart’s impending free agency.

Best of luck to the little guy, as long as he leaves the Lakers!
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 02:08:09 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
I'm pretty sure we will see flying pigs coming over the horizon before we see IT back in a Celtics uniform, unless it's on the last day of his career if he somehow wants to retire as a Celtic. That ship has sailed.

Even if he was able to get past the fact that he was traded after all he did for the team after his sister died, he's not going to come in as second fiddle to anyone. For anyone who has dreams of him filling in a super sixth man role, it will be a cold day in hell before that happens as he will never accept that after his previous role here, unless it's at the end of his career. And do we want him at the end of his career when he has lost his speed and penetration?

And it was clear that Danny wasn't going to pay him $30m even when he was scoring 30ppg last season and he wants to get paid. His best place to get paid is elsewhere. He may not get the max but he will get good money somewhere if he can show he has recovered from his hip injury.

Kind of sad, I feel for the guy. He gave us everything and had his best year career-wise, and his reward was to get traded and to have his worst year. Not only were his numbers down after recovering from injury, he didn't do his locker room reputation any good with what happened in Cleveland. But he's a strong person and I'm sure he will come back better than ever (somewhere).
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 03:10:00 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Considering IT is the same guy that just said this less than a week ago, I just don't see how it would ever work.  Do people really think he will accept coming off the bench for Boston?  Especially when he'd be playing behind the guy who he was traded for to replace him?

“I'm not no sixth man,” he declared in an interview with USA TODAY Sports this week. “And I won't be a sixth man (in the future). I just want everybody to know that, like clear as can be. I'm a two-time All-Star and a starter who has done things that a lot of people in this league haven't done (when) given that opportunity.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/03/15/resilient-lakers-isaiah-thomas-not-no-sixth-man/427514002/

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:59:18 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
I mean...he did internally rekt the Cavs. Now waiting for him to internally rekt the Lakers. Two of the franchises that I despise (LeBron and the Lakers).

Then I can be convinced that he's a mole serving for the Celtics. And that is what Danny Ainge spoke about with him in private that one game against the Cavs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 05:15:07 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
IT would be a championship level 6th Man
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:22:19 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I always thought the same.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:39:25 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
All history aside, there are basic roster reasons why it's highly unlikely we'd see IT playing for the Celtics anytime soon.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 06:47:35 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Typical IT.  Sure he's not ruling out a Celtics return. Its the Celtics ruling out an IT return.....

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 07:11:17 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Can someone please put up that pic of Jim Carrey's dorky character saying "So you are telling me there is a chance?"

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 08:10:37 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Haha there is a chance, but in all likelihood I'd say he resigns with Lakers when LA strikes out with all big free agents. I'd theorise that Pacers and Clippers are his only other options and we could be a short term fix if he strikes out with them. 6th man behind Irving for a championship contender is much more acceptable than a kid like Ball and given Irving's track record I am sure Thomas could start on many occasions.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Ugh I’d love that. He’d destroy second units and easily get 18-20 PPG. But he deserves more than the MLE if he can get his hip right. Not saying he should get maxed out...but he will easily get more ona team like the Nets or Pacers. But if he wanted to win....

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 09:03:47 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
He should go play for the Spurs for whatever money they give him, and sign as many endorsement deals as possible. Any endorsement at all, regardless of how dumb the product is. If he can hold off from buying the mansion replete with help staff, his contract and endorsement money should be able to last him for life.

I'm not worried about IT. He should be worried about us.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I always thought the same.

You know that, I know that, DA and Stevens knows that but Isiah won't accept that.  He feels he is a starter earning a max.  Even if no one offers him the max he should get 10-15 per year.  The C's cannot afford that.  Even if he'd accept the mid level because no one is offering him a contract he would not fit.  The C's need to resign Baynes and need big men.  Kyrie would have to sign off on IT.  It has about a 0.0% chance of happening.  I wish IT the best and after the year he has had I'd be shocked if he did not sign a 1 year deal to show he is healthy to earn his final pay day.  No matter what happens I doubt he is ever in green again unless he signs with Milwakee.

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 12:22:19 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I would love to have Isaiah back as a 6th man. However, I doubt that he will accept such a role and another team will also (most likely) offer him more money than the MLE.
Jack of all trades, master of none.