Author Topic: NBA's Most Unbreakable Records  (Read 2726 times)

NBA's Most Unbreakable Records
« on: March 18, 2018, 12:51:51 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I thought I would open a debate about what NBA records will never be touched. Personally I think given the speed of the game and the proliferation of the 3 point shot someone will break Wilt Chamberlin's record of 100 points, although is it truely broken given there was no three ball? I also think that with sports science and that NBA may revert back to allowing High School players back in the league, someone will break Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's all-time points scoring record, but others will be near impossible to beat.

- Wilt's record of 55 rebounds in a game (along with his 27.2 season average) I think will never be broken, given how no one goes after boards like in his era especially offensively. 

- Most games played in a season (88) by Walt Bellamy will obviously never be broken.

- John Stockton's assists records (15,806 career) will never be touched because of how the ball is shared now.

- Bill Russell's championships (11) will never be touched with salary cap restrictions giving more parity than ever before.

What are some others you think will never be broken?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:36:17 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: NBA's Most Unbreakable Records
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 03:41:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Expanding on Wilt - the fact that his career averages of 30ppg and 23rpg have never been equalled by anyone in a single season. I'm not sure how you'd classify that as a record, but man he was phenomenal.

Steph Curry's 402 3's made in the '15-'16 season too. Can't see anyone getting to that. I feel as though the game will move away from the 3 after a few seasons, and Curry has an eye and touch that is pretty much once in a lifetime
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 03:53:22 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
- Kareem's scoring record.
- Rasheed's technicals in a single season.
- Robert Horry's 7 rings in 3 different teams

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 04:56:11 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Kerr's .454 career three point accuracy.
Nowadays, if anyone is shooting that well he would be shooting more. Therefore less accurate on bigger volume.

I think Kareem is going down after 5 more years of LeBron.
As for Horry, it is quite possible to do repeat it. Players careers are longer and I feel like players( if they are good)  have more say how to end up where they want.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 05:08:14 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
There can be no question about this.

The single-season record for 2pt field goals is 1597 by Wilt. (about 20 FG per game.)

There isn’t a single active NBA player who has HALF as many in a single season.

No one has hit 1000 in a year in the last 30 years and with the three pointer no one will ever come close again.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:13:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
There can be no question about this.

The single-season record for 2pt field goals is 1597 by Wilt. (about 20 FG per game.)

There isn’t a single active NBA player who has HALF as many in a single season.

No one has hit 1000 in a year in the last 30 years and with the three pointer no one will ever come close again.
I think that Wilt should have his own thread 😀, he holds so many records that won't be broken.
Like 48,5 MPG - unmatchable.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 05:22:40 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Nowadays, if anyone is shooting that well he would be shooting more. Therefore less accurate on bigger volume.

As for Horry, it is quite possible to do repeat it. Players careers are longer and I feel like players( if they are good)  have more say how to end up where they want.

Lebron's game is starting to decline, apparently. He would either retire as a superstar or continue to play as a role player, which will make it harder to score if you're no longer a primary option. Robert Horry's record is still unmatched after all this years and the only ones came close to it was the likes of James Jones which is only 3 rings in 2 teams.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Lebron's game is starting to decline, apparently. He would either retire as a superstar or continue to play as a role player, which will make it harder to score if you're no longer a primary option. Robert Horry's record is still unmatched after all this years and the only ones came close to it was the likes of James Jones which is only 3 rings in 2 teams.
Assuming he is healthy, if LeBron averages a notch over 24ppg for 320 games (basically 4 more years) then he should pip Kareem.

Over 5 years, that's down to just over 19ppg, and over 6? Way down to just over 16ppg.

It's a big assumption that he'd remain healthy his entire career, or that he'll continue to score, but he certainly could do it. On the other hand, he could go out like Wilt and stop looking to score so much and rather go all out in order to win.

Heck, if Wilt had maintained his 1960-'66 scoring run for about 1000 games he could likely have pipped 40k. Insane
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:41:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think Kerr's record could be broken someday with the way the 3-pointer is such a focus nowadays.

I never thought Kareem's record could be broken but LBJ has a legit shot, unless he sustains an injury.

Russell's championship record is seemingly safe.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like how people are bringing up the possibility of Lebron ever sustaining an injury. That's just impossible!

I agree with others with the Wilt records. While the NBA was definitely competitive back then, the overall level of the league was not what it is today. It is almost comparable to the UCONN women winning by 88 points the other night. Wilt's numbers were just wacky.

As for unbreakable records, I will go ahead an add AJ Green's 1192 consecutive games played streak to the list. There is no way anybody will ever come close to approaching that number given the amount of rest days players receive nowadays.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 09:24:12 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
The single most unbreakable NBA record is Wilt's 55 rebounds in a game! That record may stand longer then any in professional sports. Team records are not counted because if you count them then Russ's titles, 11/13 then become the most unbreakable.

Wilt's 100 point game is a very close 2nd and has stood for over 50 years! If steals and blocked shot stats were kept in Wilt's day the triple double record book would have his name in it five times more then any other player.

I'm not sure that this counts as a record but if you were to look at the number of rules made by the league in a direct attempt to slow down a player then again Wilt's record will stand for a long time. I dont remember all of them but I once read all of the rule changes the league made to slow him and it seems as if it numbered in the teens.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 09:35:18 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Assuming he is healthy, if LeBron averages a notch over 24ppg for 320 games (basically 4 more years) then he should pip Kareem.

Over 5 years, that's down to just over 19ppg, and over 6? Way down to just over 16ppg.

It's a big assumption that he'd remain healthy his entire career, or that he'll continue to score, but he certainly could do it. On the other hand, he could go out like Wilt and stop looking to score so much and rather go all out in order to win.

Heck, if Wilt had maintained his 1960-'66 scoring run for about 1000 games he could likely have pipped 40k. Insane

I do believe Lebron takes the career scoring lead one day. He just seems able to average 20 in his sleepas a 4, even or especially without being the primary facilitator. Imagine him as a 28 minute 3rd usage guy. 20 easy points, putbacks, open looks, and on the block or mid post. His health has been unreal.

Kerr's percentage was boosted by open weak side looks playing with MJ in the ISO era. The facility of producing those shots in today's game isn't as easy, just as Stockton's assists coming from perpetual 1/4 pick and roll for nearly two decades. The ball whips around more now in a more open, faster paced game.

Some great ideas here. Should compile them into a poll.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Kobe's most missed FGAs
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Whose had the most Blocks?

Among Centers, PFs, SFs and Guards?

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I like how people are bringing up the possibility of Lebron ever sustaining an injury. That's just impossible!

I agree with others with the Wilt records. While the NBA was definitely competitive back then, the overall level of the league was not what it is today. It is almost comparable to the UCONN women winning by 88 points the other night. Wilt's numbers were just wacky.

As for unbreakable records, I will go ahead an add AJ Green's 1192 consecutive games played streak to the list. There is no way anybody will ever come close to approaching that number given the amount of rest days players receive nowadays.

I think you meant AC Green, not the Bengals receiver. That said, even more impressive than his games played streak is his abstinence streak that was broken when he was married at age 38. For an NBA player, especially today, that record will never be touched.