Author Topic: Biggest surprise/Disppointment  (Read 4584 times)

Re: Biggest surprise/Disppointment
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 06:02:08 PM »

Online ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
biggest surprise is Jaylen I didn't know he'd be such a beast on the defensive end.

Biggest disappointment is Smart. Seriously 0 growth since his rookie season? He has a nice 2 man game with Theis I'll give him that but he's a net negative on that end of the court. Doesn't spread the floor and cant drive the lane. Slow first step? Can't turn corner? I'm not sure but he needs a pick to even smell the lane from the break. Doesn't mean I don't like what he brings but I expected more maybe that's my own fault.

ok fine

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 06:35:19 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
I’m surprised how many are listing Marcus Smart as the biggest disappointment. That’s insane to me. His value to this team has been so evident when he returned from his cut injury. He transformed the makeup up of the team from a porous sieve to an airtight take no prisoners ball club.

Okay so he’s never going to be a great outside shooter. We will have plenty of outside shooters. But there is only one Marcus Smart with his mental toughness, which is contagious. Ask his teammates and coach.

Stop whining about his jump shot.

I'm as surprised as you are that so many people are saying Smart is the biggest disappointment. It's no secret his shot is not that great, has never been, but I think overall he has been steadier this year than he has since being drafted.  He's lost weight and is grittier than ever on D.  Why there are those that thought that his shot would be that much better this year is beyond me. 

The Hayward injury was a no brainer for biggest disappointment and listing that would have been too obvious.  I guess I should have stated "Biggest disappointment outside of Gordon's horror in game 1
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 07:12:48 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I’m surprised how many are listing Marcus Smart as the biggest disappointment. That’s insane to me. His value to this team has been so evident when he returned from his cut injury. He transformed the makeup up of the team from a porous sieve to an airtight take no prisoners ball club.

Okay so he’s never going to be a great outside shooter. We will have plenty of outside shooters. But there is only one Marcus Smart with his mental toughness, which is contagious. Ask his teammates and coach.

I'm as surprised as you are that so many people are saying Smart is the biggest disappointment. It's no secret his shot is not that great, has never been, but I think overall he has been steadier this year than he has since being drafted.  He's lost weight and is grittier than ever on D.  Why there are those that thought that his shot would be that much better this year is beyond me. 

The Hayward injury was a no brainer for biggest disappointment and listing that would have been too obvious.  I guess I should have stated "Biggest disappointment outside of Gordon's horror in game 1

I'm not sure why either of you is surprised.

Why would people think that shot was better? Because he supposedly re-tooled his shot the past offseason, releasing it at a much higher point. It looked good on video. It finally looked *right*. His FT% the prior year gave some hope that his game shooting would improve. It's difficult to conceive that a 80% FT shooter can't hit the basket 4 out of 10 times in a game but somehow Smart manages to do it. And if he can't shoot, then why is he chucking the 3rd most 3 point attempts on the team? It's not just his shot, it's his shot combined with his shot selection. Rondo couldn't shoot either but at least he knew enough not to attempt 5 3s a game.

Then there's a series of off-the-court actions that have cost him serious court time this year. We were hoping he learned his lesson after shoving a fan at OK State but it seems that his immaturity got the better of him again.

Finally, we can compare him against his Brick Brother, Terry Rozier, who has managed to find his shooting stroke and become a far more well-rounded weapon on the court. When you look at Smart and Rozier now, it's tough not to say that Terry has passed Marcus in order of importance.

No one is saying he's not valuable. I've been a constant Smart defender here and I love the grit in his game. But it's not hard to figure out why some - including me - think he's a pretty big disappointment this year.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed in Smart's lack of progress on the offensive side of the ball, while simultaneously recognizing his value and impact on the defensive end.

But, at this point I guess I do accept that he'll never be much more than he is on that side of the ball.  Which is why I don't see him ever being more than a 6th man type of player.  But that's fine, as long as people don't expect more out of him, and the team doesn't go overpaying him this summer, based on the hope he'll ever be more than that.
the thing, Smart is basically the exact same player he has been since he entered the league.  The only way any one could truly be disappointed in Smart's play is if they had totally unreasonable expectations for him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed in Smart's lack of progress on the offensive side of the ball, while simultaneously recognizing his value and impact on the defensive end.

But, at this point I guess I do accept that he'll never be much more than he is on that side of the ball.  Which is why I don't see him ever being more than a 6th man type of player.  But that's fine, as long as people don't expect more out of him, and the team doesn't go overpaying him this summer, based on the hope he'll ever be more than that.
the thing, Smart is basically the exact same player he has been since he entered the league.  The only way any one could truly be disappointed in Smart's play is if they had totally unreasonable expectations for him.

I wouldn't say he is the exact same player. He become a full time PG for the first time in college and has dramatically improved as a facilitator and creator on offense in his time with the Celtics. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »

Online ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

That's where the disappointment lies. Almost no growth he's the same guy who entered the league which I'm unsure why you wouldn't find that disappointing.
ok fine

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 01:21:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

That's where the disappointment lies. Almost no growth he's the same guy who entered the league which I'm unsure why you wouldn't find that disappointing.

I totally disagree. I understand that his numbers are petty much the same but I don't know how you can watch the game and think that's he's the same as he was as a rookie or 2 years ago. He's a much smarter team defender, and a much better playmaker and ballhandler out of the pick and roll.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Surprise - Tatum's readiness to contribute to winning.  Thought he was going to be a Harrison Barnes / Tobias Harris / Jabari Parker type who takes a while to match defense / efficiency with iso scoring tendencies.

Disappointment - By far my biggest disappointment is the high volume of injuries preventing the best players on the team playing together.  Even setting aside Hayward's injury, we haven't gotten to see enough games with Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Smart all healthy.

Setting aside injuries, though, which are nobody's fault, I would say my biggest disappointment is ... you know what?  I'm not disappointed about anything this season other than the injuries.  They've outperformed my expectations, individually and collectively.  I'm sorry we didn't get to see Hayward play hardly at all, and we didn't get to see much of the best of what this group could do even without Hayward once the calendar flipped to 2018.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Biggest disappointment is Smart. Seriously 0 growth since his rookie season?

He has improved a great deal as a ball handler, playmaker, decision maker, especially running the pick and roll.  He's developed some nice alley oop chemistry with Al Horford.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 01:55:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It's rather ridiculous to not think a player should improve over the course of his rookie contract. Claiming a player is exactly who he was when he came into the league and being okay with that is an unusual take.

Now, I don't actually think that Smart is the same player he was when he came in the league. He's a better playmaker, and has somewhat better decision making, at the very least. But his shooting is still as atrocious as ever, and to me that is a big disappointment.   It tells me he'll likely never be starting material, and again, that is disappointing for a player that was drafted as high as he was.

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

because I didn't expect him to be anything more than that entering the year.  Players almost never make massive jumps this many minutes into their career.  Anyone that expected Smart to be anything other than he was entering this season was just flat out being unrealistic and unreasonable.

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 02:54:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It's rather ridiculous to not think a player should improve over the course of his rookie contract. Claiming a player is exactly who he was when he came into the league and being okay with that is an unusual take.

Now, I don't actually think that Smart is the same player he was when he came in the league. He's a better playmaker, and has somewhat better decision making, at the very least. But his shooting is still as atrocious as ever, and to me that is a big disappointment.   It tells me he'll likely never be starting material, and again, that is disappointing for a player that was drafted as high as he was.
Entering this season (not from when he was drafted), why on earth would anyone realistically believe Smart was all of a sudden going to learn how to shoot?  He entered the year with 845 three's taken, which is not a small sample size (Bird only had 1727 in his entire career).  And here's the thing, Smart was a terrible outside shooter in college also.  This idea that Smart was going to learn how to shoot, especially entering this season, was wholly ridiculous.   

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 11:03:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I can't remember the thread, exactly, prior to the season to which the biggest question marks regarding the team was devoted, iirc, and wherein I believe that I mentioned the change in our  medical staff as being up there, for me, but I'm sticking with that one, unfortunately, as I never expected so many injuries to occur, and all across the spectrum in terms of age, as well, this season. Ugh.

Mind you, I wasn't anticipating our trainers, etc., to perform miracles, but, man, what a terrible year in that regard, and anyone who needs surgery, like Kyrie, should already have opted for the procedure(s), imo, as playing hurt isn't going to help anyone, nor anything, at this point, imo. Sigh.

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 02:01:26 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I can't remember the thread, exactly, prior to the season to which the biggest question marks regarding the team was devoted, iirc, and wherein I believe that I mentioned the change in our  medical staff as being up there, for me, but I'm sticking with that one, unfortunately, as I never expected so many injuries to occur, and all across the spectrum in terms of age, as well, this season. Ugh.

Mind you, I wasn't anticipating our trainers, etc., to perform miracles, but, man, what a terrible year in that regard, and anyone who needs surgery, like Kyrie, should already have opted for the procedure(s), imo, as playing hurt isn't going to help anyone, nor anything, at this point, imo. Sigh.

The kyrie issue was from his cleveland days, its hard to put the blame on the staff for that one. Brown, Hayward, Smart- all are accidents not wear and tear type of injuries.

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Biggest surprise: Jason Tater. All day, every day.
Biggest disappointment: Hayward. Still feel gutshot when I remember the injury. Given how well we have played without him, I believe they had a legit shot to win it all this year if he’d been healthy.