Author Topic: Biggest surprise/Disppointment  (Read 4559 times)

Biggest surprise/Disppointment
« on: March 18, 2018, 12:50:48 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Now that the regular season is almost over, I was reflecting on the seasons high's and low's.  What was your biggest surprise/disappointment?

My biggest surprise was unquestionably...Terry Rozier's development. I will admit that I was less than thrilled with the draft pick because I really didn't know him at L'ville, but under Brad and I will say with Kyrie's tutelage I think Terry's game has elevated the most since last season. He's not over-thinking the game as he did and he's allowing thinking to catch up with his athleticism. Hopefully this off-season he can work on his vision/passing and continue to perfect the art of defense at the 1,2 and even 3. If so, I think that will allow him to become a complete guard.

Biggest disappointment...the fact that Danny didn't get a shooter/scorer for the 2nd unit at the deadline/buyout.  Terry is progressing in that role and Morris is a scorer, but we don't have a knock down shooter coming off the bench.  If we had gotten Belinelli or Williams or even Ilyasova I would be feeling a lot more comfortable. Even if Semi had shot the ball like he did in College, that would be a bonus but he's been atrocious.

Hopefully we get healthy over the next month and get a first round opponent that wont make us work too hard till the rest of the gang can come back. 

We've had a great regular season after all that has happened since 5 min into our first game. People have counted us out and continue to count us out. Not me...I believe in this team, I believe in our coach, I believe in our system. Call my glasses green but I see us in the ECF.

#CUsRise
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Re: Biggest surprise/Disppointment
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 03:11:51 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Didn't want to pick one disappointment or surprise...so I picked several.

Disappointments:

Hayward's leg injury less than 6 minutes into the season.

Suspected Kryrie would have injury issues. Looks like his knee may be an ongoing issue for the rest of his career. I'm not really disappointed. He's such a good player when he's healthy that I can live with it as long it remains minor.

I agree with the OP...Danny not signing a shooter at the trade deadline didn't help the cause.

The late season injuries to Marcus Smart and Theis.

Surprises:
There were so many of them...

Kryie's all-star ability and his pleasant demeanor. I knew he was a very good player. Didn't realize he was this good. His shooting, passing and ball handling are all in the superior range. After listening to some of his end of the season comments I thought he would be somewhat aloof and an oddball. Instead, he's articulate, supportive, relaxed and a great teammate. This took me totally by surprise.

Players I had either heard little about or had heard nothing surprised me with their good play; Baynes, Theis, Ojeleye and Larkin. Morris also impressed me a lot. Originally thought he was a desperation signing. Then, he started hitting shots and took on a great leadership role. These players provided the depth this team desperately needed to compete. 

Jalen Brown's improved shooting, ball handling and confidence surely impressed me

Totally agree with the OP about Rozier....what a jump in his play. 

The biggest shock has to be the play of Jason Tatum. When the Celtics traded the top pick I was angry. I wanted Fultz in the worst way. Thought Danny lost his mind. Now, I feel I would have picked Tatum over Markelle even if he hadn't lost his shot. 

Danny picked up a legitimate player in Monroe. He's been on the CB "wanted" list for a number of years. Castoff from Detroit and Phoenix....he seems to have found a home here. Hope he stays.

The biggest surprise is that Danny pulled off all these moves and Brad and his staff molded this unique selection of players into a decent team. Kudos to both Danny and Brad. These gambles perplexed many of us before the season began. But, the season turned out to be a successful one so far. Too bad Hayward, Marcus and Theis got injured who knows how far this team might have gone in the playoffs if they had stayed healthy. 

Players I'm neither surprised or disappointed with; Al....he's always good, Nader (he's looking better of late) and Yabusele (he looked good against Washington)

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 03:36:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Surprises:

Tatum. I liked him coming out of college, but both his present day ability to contribute and (apparent) potential have blown me away. I was dubious to say the least when we traded down, but Tatum has absolutely removed all those doubts.

Theis. I had almost no expectations from him, and didn't even expect him to get more than garbage time minutes. Now (obviously when not hurt) he's a crucial part of our rotation, and is one of the sneaky best pickups of the season.

Disappointments:

Hayward. Not anything in his control, but the injury was absolutely gut-wrenching, and made this season a bit of a write-off

Smart. Effectively no development with his jump shot. Need I say more
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 03:40:07 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Biggest surprise: The team has played this well without Gordon Hayward
Biggest disappointment: We'll never get to see this team fully healthy. If it had been, this team seriously could have given Golden State a lot of trouble.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Biggest Surprise was Hayward getting hurt. 

Biggest Disappointment is CBS and his inability to figure out Monroe.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 10:22:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Surprise positive= Tatum. What an amazing rookie. He may turn out to be superstar.

Surprise negative= Hayward injury. I felt there was without a doubt no chance at winning it all but if Rockets can upset the Warriors and C's get to finals there may be a shot.

Disappointed= Smart not getting better with his shot. Irving knee management costing games.

Satisfied= Danny getting a lot of decent/cheap bigs on this roster. BS not going small so much now with more skilled bigs has been very good.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 10:59:45 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Obvious that biggest disappointment are the injuries.  It will be a "what could have been" season, much like '08-'09.

My biggest surprise is Kyrie.  I was in the camp of people that did not consider him to be that much of an upgrade over IT, that it was worth trading the Brooklyn pick for him.  I was wrong.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The most pleasant surprise for me is how the off-season moves look right now.  Irving is exactly what I expected and Tatum has been better.  Isaiah can’t get it going, Bradley has struggled, and Fultz and Ball haven’t been better than Tatum so far. 

Obviously the biggest dissapointment is the Hayward injury.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Biggest surprise: Daniel Theis being a competent rotation player. I figured he wouldn't be much more than an end of the bench type player who would need a couple of years to develop, if he ever did at all.

Biggest disappointment: Marcus Smart not making any progress on the offensive side of the ball. He's still the ultimate junk yard dog, but I was hoping for more from him. It's going to be tough to justify giving him a big contract this summer.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Biggest surprise: How quickly this team came together as a legit top 5 team despite having virtually a whole new roster and a short training camp.

Biggest disappointment: Easily the injuries, which started horrifically on day 1 and are still going!

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I think the obvious biggest disappointment is the Hayward injury and the obvious biggest surprise is that the team is going to win 50 games without him.

Going deeper than that, I'd say the biggest surprise has been Tatum's minutes. He's started every game and is playing over 30 mpg on the year. He's an integral part of everything the C's do every night which is astounding to me. I can't wait to see him physically mature and get more comfortable with the NBA game.

The biggest disappointment has been Smart's finishing. But that has more to do with where I set my expectations at the beginning of the year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 05:18:19 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm not surprised by Jaylen's development. I'm not surprised by Tatum all that much either. I'm not surprised we're on pace for 55 wins.

Biggest Surprise: Terry William Rozier III looks like a different player. 11 points, 5 boards per game and a PER of 16/6/4 with a 60 point raise in eFG and a huge jump on the defensive end as well. That's some remarkable development. I thought it was Smart who might pull that off this year. Instead, Rozier looks like he's taken the leap from back-of-the-bench guy to our own version of The Microwave with defense to boot.
Runner up: Theis. 

Biggest Disappointment: There's only one answer here. Hayward's injury. If he's starting, this team would be on pace for 60+ wins rather than 55.
Runner up: Smart's shooting (again). I really had some hope that his newer jump shot would improve his percentages.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 05:46:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I’m surprised how many are listing Marcus Smart as the biggest disappointment. That’s insane to me. His value to this team has been so evident when he returned from his cut injury. He transformed the makeup up of the team from a porous sieve to an airtight take no prisoners ball club.

Okay so he’s never going to be a great outside shooter. We will have plenty of outside shooters. But there is only one Marcus Smart with his mental toughness, which is contagious. Ask his teammates and coach.

Stop whining about his jump shot.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I’m surprised how many are listing Marcus Smart as the biggest disappointment. That’s insane to me. His value to this team has been so evident when he returned from his cut injury. He transformed the makeup up of the team from a porous sieve to an airtight take no prisoners ball club.

Okay so he’s never going to be a great outside shooter. We will have plenty of outside shooters. But there is only one Marcus Smart with his mental toughness, which is contagious. Ask his teammates and coach.

Stop whining about his jump shot.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed in Smart's lack of progress on the offensive side of the ball, while simultaneously recognizing his value and impact on the defensive end.

But, at this point I guess I do accept that he'll never be much more than he is on that side of the ball.  Which is why I don't see him ever being more than a 6th man type of player.  But that's fine, as long as people don't expect more out of him, and the team doesn't go overpaying him this summer, based on the hope he'll ever be more than that.

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Celtics:
Surprise: the streak, Theis
Disappointment: GH Injury

Player
Surprise: Oladipo
Disappointment: Wiggins

Team