Author Topic: Can We Keep Both Smart+Rozier?  (Read 5268 times)

Can We Keep Both Smart+Rozier?
« on: March 17, 2018, 11:33:09 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Say, Smart signs a 4-year extension with us at a price that isn't as much as we thought due to the market that will likely shape up this summer (8-10M/Year).

We'd have Rozier's Bird Rights after next year and we're going into the luxury tax AFTER next season guaranteed anyways (IF we don't this next season, which is possible with some Ainge magic I hear from some cap experts here).

I'm not going to compare the two players, but it's clear they have unique skillsets and potential going forward, and I like the idea of having a back court of Kyrie, Smart (or Hayward in spurts), with Rozier being the "ideal" 6th man type guard/player who is more than capable of starting games as well in case of injuries or match ups.

Rozier is definitely having a good season IMO, and while it's true he can still be erratic at times and his Bball IQ isn't super high, he's been fun to watch and it's true that in some really bad situations (like missing half our team and starters), the guy has stepped up and led us to wins as well.

And of course, we need Smart especially on defense when going up against guys like Wall, Beal, Lowry, DeRozan, Oladipo, etc. etc., and of course for his "winning plays"  ;D

So, is there a way, or will Ainge be FORCED to make a tough decision here too.

I'm guessing part of the decision will come down to luxury tax implications overall going forward with ownership and profits, as well as what happens with Lebron this summer (does he go Philly? Stay CLE? Or leave the East, which is favorable to us so long as he doesn't actually join Golden State lol)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Can We Keep Both Smart+Rozier?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I would love this but Honestly, I don't know if Rozier would do it...  I think someone is going to offer him a chance to start somewhere.  I can't see him passing that up.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I'm not going to compare the two players, but it's clear they have unique skillsets and potential going forward, and I like the idea of having a back court of Kyrie, Smart (or Hayward in spurts), with Rozier being the "ideal" 6th man type guard/player who is more than capable of starting games as well in case of injuries or match ups.

Where's Jaylen Brown in this discussion?

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think the only way we keep both of them is if we deal Jaylen Brown - either in a package for a bigger player (like AD, using Brown and Horford in a trade) or for a lottery pick if we were trying to avoid paying him the max in two years.

I think one of the reasons we kept Smart is because the Lakers pick almost definitely isn't conveying this year so we should actually be able to offer him a decent contract and use most of the non-taxpayers MLE. I haven't checked the math lately to see if we could also fit Monroe's $6M offer available, but that would be cool, too.

I would love this but Honestly, I don't know if Rozier would do it...  I think someone is going to offer him a chance to start somewhere.  I can't see him passing that up.

This is true, but if we do deal Jaylen (not my 1st choice, at all), I suppose Rozier would be given an opportunity to start if he continues on his current trajectory, with Smart continuing his super-6th man role.

And as I am typing all of this, I think of the last few years when we kept almost nobody whose contract was expiring. It would be nice to get some continuity with the roster, especially some of these young pieces.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I think if Terry was a better finisher his time with Boston would be coming to a close as teams would definitely hand him the keys to the car.

The game is without a doubt slowing down for him but it's still as fast as he is. Never seen a guy so good at shaking his man only to struggle to find the rim or shooter. He'll figure that out but I hope after he signs an AB type extension  :laugh: we'll all scream overpay until that clicks and we'll all laugh at how good his contract is.
ok fine

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think if Terry was a better finisher his time with Boston would be coming to a close as teams would definitely hand him the keys to the car.

The game is without a doubt slowing down for him but it's still as fast as he is. Never seen a guy so good at shaking his man only to struggle to find the rim or shooter. He'll figure that out but I hope after he signs an AB type extension  :laugh: we'll all scream overpay until that clicks and we'll all laugh at how good his contract is.

I think Smart is coming back at a reasonable price. The free spending days are over. Rozier could do better but only maybe. Well see how the mArket develops but personally I'd rather retain all our bigs than keeping both of these guys..

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 12:48:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
It's going to be interesting. I'm hopeful Marcus is here for a long time.

I'd like to keep Terry too, at the right price. I'm skeptical that someone is going to throw starter money at him. We'll see what his game and the cap look like a year from now but I don't see the team that's going to start Terry Rozier as their PG of the future right now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 03:27:26 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If we sign both Smart and Rozier, the next question will be, can we sigh both Tatum and Brown too?

Not to mention Kyrie in a few years?

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
The short answer is no. Not even maybe, just no. If smart gets lets say 9 million then the year after you are going to have to extend Kyrie at the max and deal with Rozier who will become a RFA in a better cap environment than smart and has arguably shown he could be a start (a back end one, but still). At that point you have to consider that you are going to have to pay Brown so are you going to be paying 9+ million to your fourth guard. No, you aren't. And this is why picks are important, I imagine Brown and Kyrie will stay as your guards, one of Smart/Rozier will be resigned long term and maybe pick up a fourth guard to develop with one of your many draft picks. Can't keep everyone.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 05:37:58 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Hayward returns next year, and he will be taking 32 minutes. Irving, Brown and Tatum aren't going to play any less. The minutes will be tightening for everyone else.

I think keeping both guys next year is a bad idea. At least one of them isn't going to play enough. Circumstances are perfect for Terry Rozier to position himself to maximize his value at the same time that Marcus is inactive.

They won't get rid of him for less than he's worth, but if the team can move up in the draft, or a quality big becomes available, Rozier's more likely to go.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 05:43:50 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Yup. I think the interesting question is going to be whether they keep Terry for his final contract year, when we should have a legitimate shot at the title and he would contribute some high-quality depth, or whether they try to get value for him by including him in a trade.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 06:47:45 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
The short answer is no. Not even maybe, just no. If smart gets lets say 9 million then the year after you are going to have to extend Kyrie at the max and deal with Rozier who will become a RFA in a better cap environment than smart and has arguably shown he could be a start (a back end one, but still). At that point you have to consider that you are going to have to pay Brown so are you going to be paying 9+ million to your fourth guard. No, you aren't. And this is why picks are important, I imagine Brown and Kyrie will stay as your guards, one of Smart/Rozier will be resigned long term and maybe pick up a fourth guard to develop with one of your many draft picks. Can't keep everyone.

My thoughts exactly. Unless you dont wanna pony up for Kyrie which will be ridiculous then me thinks we also end up with just one of Smart/Terry.
Me hopes we might have won atleast 1 ring before this decision is made.. :D

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 08:28:45 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Can we still trade Smart in a package for a big-named player?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Say, Smart signs a 4-year extension with us at a price that isn't as much as we thought due to the market that will likely shape up this summer (8-10M/Year).

We'd have Rozier's Bird Rights after next year and we're going into the luxury tax AFTER next season guaranteed anyways (IF we don't this next season, which is possible with some Ainge magic I hear from some cap experts here).

Rozier is definitely having a good season IMO, and while it's true he can still be erratic at times and his Bball IQ isn't super high, he's been fun to watch and it's true that in some really bad situations (like missing half our team and starters), the guy has stepped up and led us to wins as well.

And of course, we need Smart especially on defense when going up against guys like Wall, Beal, Lowry, DeRozan, Oladipo, etc. etc., and of course for his "winning plays"  ;D

So, is there a way, or will Ainge be FORCED to make a tough decision here too.

I'm guessing part of the decision will come down to luxury tax implications overall going forward with ownership and profits, as well as what happens with Lebron this summer (does he go Philly? Stay CLE? Or leave the East, which is favorable to us so long as he doesn't actually join Golden State lol)

Teams can keep any player they want. Just ask Lebron and Golden St

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 09:51:10 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
This is my estimated salary breakdown of the 2019-20 roster:

Kyrie 35m / TRoz 13m
Brown 7m / Smart 9m / Nader 1m
Hayward 28m / Semi 1m /
Tatum 7m / Zion or Bol 6m / Yabu 2m
Horford 28m / '19 Pick 2m

The total for this 12-man payroll is $139 million.  Without Rozier, it's still $125-128 million.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07