Author Topic: Can We Keep Both Smart+Rozier?  (Read 5265 times)

Re: Can We Keep Both Smart+Rozier?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 12:36:12 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't see us paying 13m for Rozier to be our 3rd or 4th guard.  We will probably end up trading him.  He is a talented player who will really help some team out there.  Hopefully we get a 1st round pick back or trade him in a bigger package for a star player.

I'm thinking Marcus is most likely to stay because he is going to be a lot cheaper as a defense only guard.  Think a Tony Allen type deal but adjusted for a younger player.

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No. 

I think the better question is can the Celtics keep either? 

Pecking order of contracts:

Top Tier:
Irving
Hayward
Horford (already has the big deal)

2nd Tier:
Tatum
Brown.
coming soon:  Draft pick from LA or Kings

3rd tier:  Everyone else.   It is what can a player do to help those five (or six) to win while fitting into a tight salary structure.

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The OP asked the wrong question. It's not "can we?". That answer is yes. Both will be RFAs over the next two years and teams don't generally lose RFAs they want to hold on to.

The real question is "will we?" and I believe that answer is no.

I think Marcus' lack of shooting and self-inflicted injury has played himself out of any sizable contract this offseason. There's not that much money floating around this offseason and Marcus has really hurt his stock. Ainge isn't going to let him get away for nothing. Smart should be resigned at a reasonable value and will be the backup PG unless Ainge pulls off a sign-and-trade.

Rozier, on the other hand, is showing that he can play and the more he plays the better he gets. As a starter (in limited starts) he is averaging 17/7/6 in 36 minutes. Those are really good numbers for his current contract. The last two months, with more playing time (30mpg) and more freedom he's averaging 15.5/4.7/4 with a TS around .530. Someone is going to look at those stats and game film and believe that TR could be a guy that, if given the offensive freedom, might average close to 20/5/5 and provide some good defensive value to boot. He's be a valuable trade chip.

We all know what Ainge does with trade chips. But maybe he keeps both. I just believe that long term one of them is out the door and right now the better trade chip is Rozier. Of course, it's possible that Ainge signs Smart to a 4 year, $20m deal and trades him 3 months later.  You can't tell with Danny.

I'm with you on this. If Terry is moved it's because he played himself out of a reasonable contract. No way someone is paying Marcus what we thought he could get back in October. I like both of them together as they each bring something different but my bias gut says Terry still has upside while Marcus is what he is.

Who knows maybe this is Terry's peak and its the Brad effect. Either way it's nice seeing one of the 2 grow every year in an AB sort of way.

Yep, the short answer is yes we can, but it comes down to if ownership is willing to go over the tax and by how much. They have said in the past they are willing to pay the tax for a winner so we’ll see.

From a pure asset management it makes sense to re-sign them, and their increased salaries would actually make it a little easier to match salaries in a trade for a star(if we aren’t using Horford’s salary).

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 09:02:59 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
It's looking harder and harder to cut down the rotation to 9 next season. At some point it's about whether the player fits the role and the salary for that role. They're both in that starter/3rd guard spot by their play.

Personally, my 4 bench guys would probably include 2 bigs, a wing, and a combo guard. Plus 5 starters, and that's my 9. So there's no room to pay both.

I take Rozier.

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
i don’t think we have enough minutes to go around to justify salaries.

Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford are your sure top 5 players.

Then for depth, we’ll need a big, 2 wings, and a ball handler. I think Rozier will see a big payday that we won’t be willing to match. Smart will draw less attention, IMO and so I could see us committing to him long term.
- LilRip

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 11:04:29 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
i don’t think we have enough minutes to go around to justify salaries.

Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford are your sure top 5 players.

Then for depth, we’ll need a big, 2 wings, and a ball handler. I think Rozier will see a big payday that we won’t be willing to match. Smart will draw less attention, IMO and so I could see us committing to him long term.

Interesting. My 2 bigs probably would count Morris, who maybe could be counted as a wing. Hmm.

Anyway, with one bench guard, on a contender, with rights to pay market value...what's available for that slot?  I'm not sure Rozier gets priced out.

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 11:07:24 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Unless salary cap jumps, I just don't see how it is possible to keep both. Rozier is playing himself into a solid size deal and is proving he can be a starter on at least a handful of teams in this league. Smart could likely be cheaper at this point and then you have Morris/Theis up after next year too.

The C's will have to rely on smart scouting and player development to fill those roles with cheaper contracts. Just not possible to keep everyone.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:13:50 AM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
One guy separated himself in this discussion. One guy steps up when he gets the chance and the other guy doesn't plus that guy gets hurt a tad more.

One guy is a great 6th man and the other proved himself worthy of being a starter in this league.

Ainge and Stevens have to keep that all in mind as to what they need and can afford.

But the debate as to who is "better" is absolutely over