Author Topic: Is there any way we can keep Monroe?  (Read 4939 times)

Re: Is there any way we can keep Monroe?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I've been saying for awhile that Boston will do whatever it can to avoid the luxury tax this summer.  It doesn't want to start the clock on the tax until it absolutely has to and next summer is not the year it absolutely has to.  That at least some of the lesser tier players like Barnes, Monroe, and Smart will not be back next year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 03:45:57 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I've been saying for awhile that Boston will do whatever it can to avoid the luxury tax this summer.  It doesn't want to start the clock on the tax until it absolutely has to and next summer is not the year it absolutely has to.  That at least some of the lesser tier players like Barnes, Monroe, and Smart will not be back next year.

Smart is not a lesser tier player. I am confident he will be back next year.

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 03:52:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

With LeBron either staying with downward pointing Cavs team or going West, next year is the year the Celtics swing for the fences!

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

With LeBron either staying with downward pointing Cavs team or going West, next year is the year the Celtics swing for the fences!

Yea a celtics team has been neck and neck with Cleveland and Toronto. With smart back and adding Hayward they would be heavy favorites to win the east next year over a 35 year old Lebron team that is capped out and Toronto where Lowry is definitely in decline.

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Smart is not a lesser tier player. I am confident he will be back next year.

I am sure Smart is the first choice of the 'lesser tier' players, but matching a huge contract has to be out of the question, regardless.

Neither Monroe or Baynes are must re-signs, but it is likely they keep one of them if they come at a decent price.

I agree with moranis that there is almost no chance the Cs go over the luxury tax next season...that is unless a superstar in his prime becomes available and it is an opportunity Ainge can't refuse. We aren't going to go over the tax by a couple million just because.

Our top players (Kyrie, Hayward, Al, Brown, Tatum, Rozier, Morris, Theis) are already signed through at least next year. We are talking re-signing Smart (or a Smart replacement) and getting good value on a center. It shouldn't be too difficult to fill out the bench while staying under the tax.

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I’m mixed on Monroe. Several dumb turnovers last night’s 4th quarter doesn’t help.
Kyrie does a lot of dumb TO but we would all still be willing to pony up max for him even with balky knees...
Monroe is a one dimensional role player and will be paid that way. Not many teams will offer big money for that, and GM will probably seek the team which he can compete for a championship..which just happens to be...us.

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 07:23:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I used to feel that way but Believe they will keep Smart unless he gets an offer above 15 mm per, which I don’t anticipate. He is looking like a young Dennis Johnson.

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 07:27:22 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I used to feel that way but Believe they will keep Smart unless he gets an offer above 15 mm per, which I don’t anticipate. He is looking like a young Dennis Johnson.

The only comparison I could think of as well. TP