Author Topic: The Certified Official "What If?" Thread  (Read 992 times)

The Certified Official "What If?" Thread
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:42:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Give it to me.  Bizarro fantasy world.  What happens if the Celtics never suffered a minute of injury all year long?

Whose roles are totally different and why?

The Celts have had man after man step up after injury upon injury.  A glass-half full fan can easily see the long term merit of a lot of the experience the the young guys have had to step into.  Their efforts have made the possibilities all the more tantalizing.

How good would they have been? Would the record really be much better, or is the Celtics current record mostly just the benefit of team that generally out efforts its opponents and has developed some talent on the fly?

I know Tatum's role definitely would have been very different, but I'm really grateful to have seen him get to play so much.  He seems like he probably would have really flourished off the bench though. 

Yup

Re: The Certified Official "What If?" Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 11:15:08 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Give it to me.  Bizarro fantasy world.  What happens if the Celtics never suffered a minute of injury all year long?

Whose roles are totally different and why?

The Celts have had man after man step up after injury upon injury.  A glass-half full fan can easily see the long term merit of a lot of the experience the the young guys have had to step into.  Their efforts have made the possibilities all the more tantalizing.

How good would they have been? Would the record really be much better, or is the Celtics current record mostly just the benefit of team that generally out efforts its opponents and has developed some talent on the fly?

I know Tatum's role definitely would have been very different, but I'm really grateful to have seen him get to play so much.  He seems like he probably would have really flourished off the bench though.

Tatum, Brown, Terry Rozier, Greg Monroe, and Marcus Morris (wouldn't be putting up 31 points).

Good enough to be in the NBA Finals.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:57:41 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Good what if?

These days I am in constant rememberance of Drazen Petrovic. A reflex. My childhood idol at a tender age of 10 and the first person that had died and I shed a tear for. I started to weep naturally. None of my family members died at that point so he broke that emotional barrier in me. It was like someone came and said:

- Superman died!
- What do you mean Superman died? He can't die. He is a superhero!

Usually when we talk about players from previous generations as somewhat lesser to their contemporary colleges. Be it for inferior training, medicinal care, coaching or whatever the reason may be. I feel like drazen game would be perfectly suited for today. As Carlisle said recently.

Now, some 25 years after his death I have a strong feeling that Drazen would have destroyed the league back then but also now, had he got more of chance, read years played and playoffs secured. That he would achieve even more that Parker, Dirk and Pau did. Remaember, he was 3rd team all NBA (6 guards and count in MJ in, so it's 5)  and he just got started in the league. And yet, there was a tangible anti-Euro scepticism present in the America at the time.

Drazen just finished Euro 93 in Poland (we Croats felt disappointed with the bronze back then. Ungratefull bunch we were.) and he was approaching free agency. He was the best on the planet in shooting the basketball, any range. Also he had 2 teams on his mind. Rileys New York and Rudy T's Rockets. Back then post up threats like Hakeem and Ewing would have enabled him even more opened space, and guards like Starks or Mad Max could not guard him at all. Proven.

Fast forward one year. Knicks Vs Rockets in the finals, 7 games. I am convinced that Drazen would have been the difference for the team he chose. I think he would be an NBA champ and a revelation. That All Euros would be treated more egalitarian sooner, that basketball would evolve sooner, that three point era would have knocked on our door earlier. Imagine Drazen with the shortened 3 - easy money for him.
He would be an avalanche with all that frustration bottled up from Portland days. Drazen never got satisfied, that was special about him. Like MJ, he had an eternal flame inside his chest.
So my dream what-if would be Hakeem (as I said the dream) and Drazen. Best post up guy along with the best shooter of his time. A Nigerian and a Croat ruling the league in that fashion, that IMO even the 2nd Bulls three peat would be endangered. As Bulls had tough time guarding HO for a decade. So crazy in MJ era. Since no one was able to parry him.

Also that what-if would bring Draz back. Now at age of 54 he would be telling everyone how he was better. I would love to hear him preach from the porch.

Man, it was tough to swallow that he was gone, but the image and values he imprinted in me are there for the lifetime. Tattooed.

Hakeem & Petro.
Double team that.

0:10
https://youtu.be/HLlPtBsGbYo
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:10:28 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This works way better in the Comics than the NBA

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Good what if?

These days I am in constant rememberance of Drazen Petrovic.

I still have his poster hanging on my bedroom wall at my dad's house. He was a living legend to my family who immigrated from Czechoslovakia to the US. Side note no idea why my father has left my room the same since 1995 I turned my kids room into my hobby room the second they left for college  ;D
ok fine