Author Topic: Am I the only one surprised by Yabusele?  (Read 5209 times)

Re: Am I the only one surprised by Yabusele?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 04:39:16 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I've yet to see anything that changes my initial impression of him.

Good feet (probably played soccer).  Slow.  Mostly below the rim.  Unless he becomes a really good shooter or slims way down in order to gain lateral quickness I'm not sure what his role is going to be in the league.

Maybe I'm off on him.  I just can't think of any useful players in the league right now who are comparable to Yabu.

It seems to me if you're on the slower side, undersized, and operate mostly below the rim, you need a crafty game with a lot of skill (Kyle Anderson) or you need to be a phenomenal shooter (Doug McDermott) or you need to be a real defensive hellion who scraps for every rebound and loose ball.  And whatever your skillset you need to have a really good grasp of the game so you're in the right place defensively and make the right passes offensively.

I don't think I see any of that with Yabu, but maybe he'll get there.

I don't see him as slow at all. Quite the opposite, he seems very quick for a guy with his bulk.

Yeah I didn't see that either. But Phosita was correct in his assumption that Yabusele played soccer. He also practiced boxing.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Good feet (probably played soccer).  Slow.  Mostly below the rim.  Unless he becomes a really good shooter or slims way down in order to gain lateral quickness I'm not sure what his role is going to be in the league.

Maybe I'm off on him.  I just can't think of any useful players in the league right now who are comparable to Yabu.

It seems to me if you're on the slower side, undersized, and operate mostly below the rim, you need a crafty game with a lot of skill (Kyle Anderson) or you need to be a phenomenal shooter (Doug McDermott) or you need to be a real defensive hellion who scraps for every rebound and loose ball.  And whatever your skillset you need to have a really good grasp of the game so you're in the right place defensively and make the right passes offensively.

I don't think I see any of that with Yabu, but maybe he'll get there.

I don't see him as slow at all. Quite the opposite, he seems very quick for a guy with his bulk.

Yeah I didn't see that either. But Phosita was correct in his assumption that Yabusele played soccer. He also practiced boxing.

Boxing. Could you imagine boxing a guy of that size and weight with that kind of reach? Scary.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 05:15:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He can become a glue guy. He has the tools

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

He is going to be a small-5.  Think a more athletic Sully, with less length.  That is a good pickup when drafting 15+.

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 08:12:38 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Can't get too worked up about one game.  Obviously has potential, showed some quick feet and hands on defense, and had 5 assists and a couple other good moments on offense.  None of those things should be surprising though.  Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Really? Because I distinctly remember how much people criticized Yabusele's defense, passing, shooting, and offense lol. Did you think he looked too slow to be able to switch and fit himself into our defensive schemes last night?

Very true, that it's only just one game, but I like what I'm seeing from him, and was a little puzzled to see Ojeleye see far more minutes. I think we're going to definitely see him a lot more with Theis out. I like Ojeyele, but I see a tad bit more potential and higher ceiling from Yabusele. Plus who doesn't find a dancing bear enjoyable?

I think Semi was getting more minutes before because 1 he’s playing a position of need more as a wing where Yabu is more of a big, and 2 Semi is older and has more of the defensive concepts down and Yabu probably needed more time to work on his D.

Also don’t forget along Theis out Horford was out so it’s not a given we’ll now start seeing Yabu once Horford comes back.

I think that the most useful orientation around how they’re using Ojeleye is that he’s a swing/small-ball 4. Makes sense because he can guard up. The most common lineup with Semi is Irving-Smart-Brown-Ojeleye-Horford, for instance.

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Diaw was occasionally matched up with LeBron during those Heat-Spurs finals.

Stranger things have happened...

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Diaw was occasionally matched up with LeBron during those Heat-Spurs finals.

Stranger things have happened...

Problem is the refs will call 3 fouls on him the first 5 minutes. No respect.