Author Topic: Am I the only one surprised by Yabusele?  (Read 5193 times)

Re: Am I the only one surprised by Yabusele?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Either I'm getting crazy bitter in my old age or I just like having debates with people on CB lately.

Were you surprised he started because that's the only thing that surprised me about his game?

Fringe NBA player who I'd be shocked turned into a rotation player on even a trash team.

ok fine

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 02:55:54 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Short but strong power forward.  OK skills - low bball IQ, but young.  Verdict is still out.  & Last night was the best I have seen him play.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
5 assists. Thats about what Kyrie does

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 03:47:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yabusele looked solid last night. He hasn’t gotten much playing time because he has struggled learning defensive rotations. Makes good passes. Took it to the rack nicely in 2nd half. Had a few deflections. I’m looking forward to his development with more playing time.

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Either I'm getting crazy bitter in my old age or I just like having debates with people on CB lately.

Were you surprised he started because that's the only thing that surprised me about his game?

Fringe NBA player who I'd be shocked turned into a rotation player on even a trash team.

He was in the game for 18 minutes, scored four points, grabbed five rebounds, had one steal and finished with a plus/minus of +2. Not to mention 5 assists.

Was he amazing? Nah.

Brad on Yabu: "He was good. I thought he was solid, didn’t try to do too much and was pretty active, moved the ball around nice, which is what his strength is I think. He did a pretty good job guarding Markieff when he was matched up with him, which is a hard matchup."

You can't expect any more than that from a rookie, and someone who's barely even played more than 5 MPG in his first full fledged season. Big men take longer, and Ainge himself admitted that Yabusele would've ended up being a project.

But think what you want. It seems like you already have this preconceived notion that Yabusele won't be anything less than a bench warmer. Fine by me, I'll stick to supporting and rooting for the underdogs then.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Way too early to write off. Look at Rozier’s development from first year.

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
5 assists. Thats about what Kyrie does
Yeah, except Kyrie does it as an afterthought in the process of scoring 25 points...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

But you have to look at the base Rozier had to work off, he always had blinding pace, quick hands, good height for his position and great athleticism.

I honestly believe the only reason Ainge picked Yabusele and Žižić was because they were willing to stay overseas for the season. Danny obviously tried to bundle draft picks to either move up the draft or out of it but couldn't so had to make selections for players who may not have been his original preference.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:51:41 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

But you have to look on the base Rozier had to work off, he was always had blinding pace, quick hands, good height for his position and great athleticism.

I honestly believe the only reason Ainge picked Yabusele and Žižić was because they were willing to stay overseas for the season. Danny obviously tried to bundle draft picks to either move up the draft or out of it but couldn't so had to make selections for players who may not have been his original preference.

Hmm interesting theory, although I would find it hard to believe no other draftees would've agreed to play overseas at the compromise of securing a rookie deal.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I' m sure Yabu could give Sully a run for his money at a KFC buffet.  :)

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 06:22:19 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I' m sure Yabu could give Sully a run for his money at a KFC buffet.  :)

I remember the Celtics used Yabu for their promotion with Dunkin' Donuts and I thought, god that is the last person in the organisation including coaches who should be allowed in a Dunkin' Donuts shop.

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Can't get too worked up about one game.  Obviously has potential, showed some quick feet and hands on defense, and had 5 assists and a couple other good moments on offense.  None of those things should be surprising though.  Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Really? Because I distinctly remember how much people criticized Yabusele's defense, passing, shooting, and offense lol. Did you think he looked too slow to be able to switch and fit himself into our defensive schemes last night?

Very true, that it's only just one game, but I like what I'm seeing from him, and was a little puzzled to see Ojeleye see far more minutes. I think we're going to definitely see him a lot more with Theis out. I like Ojeyele, but I see a tad bit more potential and higher ceiling from Yabusele. Plus who doesn't find a dancing bear enjoyable?

I wasn't surprised because we've seen so little of him I didn't know what to expect.  If you have an open mind things don't surprise you as much.

And no, I didn't think he looked slow at all, I actually thought he showed pretty quick feet, as I pointed out above.

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Can't get too worked up about one game.  Obviously has potential, showed some quick feet and hands on defense, and had 5 assists and a couple other good moments on offense.  None of those things should be surprising though.  Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Really? Because I distinctly remember how much people criticized Yabusele's defense, passing, shooting, and offense lol. Did you think he looked too slow to be able to switch and fit himself into our defensive schemes last night?

Very true, that it's only just one game, but I like what I'm seeing from him, and was a little puzzled to see Ojeleye see far more minutes. I think we're going to definitely see him a lot more with Theis out. I like Ojeyele, but I see a tad bit more potential and higher ceiling from Yabusele. Plus who doesn't find a dancing bear enjoyable?

I wasn't surprised because we've seen so little of him I didn't know what to expect.  If you have an open mind things don't surprise you as much.

And no, I didn't think he looked slow at all, I actually thought he showed pretty quick feet, as I pointed out above.
Yeah, I didn't see slow at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 08:00:09 PM »

Online Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Short but strong power forward.  OK skills - low bball IQ, but young.  Verdict is still out.  & Last night was the best I have seen him play.
low bbiq players are not typically good passers. 5 assists for a big is pretty good. Obviously a small sample but it shows the potential to move the ball with a second unit, similar to how Al does with the starters.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:08:53 PM by Wretch »

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 04:25:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I've yet to see anything that changes my initial impression of him.

Good feet (probably played soccer).  Slow.  Mostly below the rim.  Unless he becomes a really good shooter or slims way down in order to gain lateral quickness I'm not sure what his role is going to be in the league.

Maybe I'm off on him.  I just can't think of any useful players in the league right now who are comparable to Yabu.

It seems to me if you're on the slower side, undersized, and operate mostly below the rim, you need a crafty game with a lot of skill (Kyle Anderson) or you need to be a phenomenal shooter (Doug McDermott) or you need to be a real defensive hellion who scraps for every rebound and loose ball.  And whatever your skillset you need to have a really good grasp of the game so you're in the right place defensively and make the right passes offensively.

I don't think I see any of that with Yabu, but maybe he'll get there.

I don't see him as slow at all. Quite the opposite, he seems very quick for a guy with his bulk.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008