Author Topic: RIP Toys R Us  (Read 6293 times)

Re: RIP Toys R Us
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 08:07:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This has been coming for a while. A couple of months ago I watched this video from 'The Company Man' on Youtube (interesting channel - highly recommended):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JYUo9WKkao

In 2005 they had a leveraged buyout and it was all downhill from there - even filing for bankruptcy in September of last year. I loved Toys R Us as a kid and still pop in every now and then for a gift - I guess that is no more. Hey, at least we will always have the memories...

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Boo!

I don't want to grow up.

This brought a smile to my face. A sad smile, but a smile nonetheless.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I'm assuming this liquidation is just Brick and Mortar and this brand will live on in name/web.

Any chance they’ll be able to compete with Amazon there?

We've seen other brands do this, close their brick & mortar because of cost and go with online. Can they compete? Absolutely not but you don't need to as operation costs are considerably lower.
ok fine

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 01:21:54 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
http://comicbook.com/2018/03/19/kb-toys-returning-message-to-toys-r-us-employees/

KB Toys is coming back. Nice.

I'm confused doesn't Toys R Us own the KB Toy brand? I'm 100% certain this was acquired during their final bankruptcy and liquidation sale.

This was a very poorly run company during the internet age. 0 confidence KB Toy won't be back into it's bankruptcy loophole it sure loves running.
ok fine

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
KB to the rescue ...woo hoo

im a happy kid again

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Nothing beats the memories of Toys R Us.  As a kid I feel like I got to go there fairly regularly, like maybe once every couple of months.  Just walking around, able to look at every toy I could ever want, rifling through all the packages and boxes. I was a big GI Joe fan, so my most of my memories basically look like this:

Wasn't always there to buy, half the time was just window shopping, as my dad probably saw it as a cheap activity to get us out of the house for a little bit so my mom could have some peace and quiet. 

But the times when my dad said we could pick out 1 thing under $5-$10 were the best.  Felt like I'd spend 30 minutes digging through all the GI Joe figures, and as a kid it felt like the rack went 20 deep (even though it was probably more like 4-5), had to look through them all, couldn't risk making a decision without knowing every single figure that was available there (and always hoping to find some out-of-print figure buried deep in the rack).

Then I'd spend 10 minutes looking through the Transformers, then 10 minutes over to Legos.  And of course spent a few minutes looking at the toys I didn't have any of, but still looked cool and would love to have: Rambo, Robocop, Karate Kid, Ninja Turtles, Thunder Cats, Ghostbusters, etc.  Then usually always back to GI Joe again.

After an hour, I'd have narrowed my choices down to 3-4 possibilities, always tried to unsuccessfully bargain with my dad to let me get 2 things.  Nothing quite like the pressure of my dad saying, "if you don't have something picked out in the next 2 minutes, you're going home with nothing."

And then there was the dream of winning that shopping spree from Nickelodeon or some cereal company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UgZt6ShYU

Disappointed my future kids may never get to experience this on the level that was Toys R Us.  That toy aisle at Wal-Mart or Target just ain't going to cut it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:47:36 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe because I am older, the toy store I always tried to get my parents ti bring me to was Child World. Sadly, that was the 70's and my parents were poor so we barely went.

Toys R Us is the place I took my kids for toys. It started as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Legos then eventually became video game consoles and games.

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 03:03:39 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maybe because I am older, the toy store I always tried to get my parents ti bring me to was Child World. Sadly, that was the 70's and my parents were poor so we barely went.

Yeah, there was one on Rte 9 in Shrewsbury that I remember my mom taking my sister & I to.

That was a solid store.  I remember buying original Nintendo games there where you would pull the slip then bring it to the counter where they'd give you the actual cartridge in the box. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nothing beats the memories of Toys R Us.  As a kid I feel like I got to go there fairly regularly, like maybe once every couple of months.  Just walking around, able to look at every toy I could ever want, rifling through all the packages and boxes. I was a big GI Joe fan, so my most of my memories basically look like this:

Wasn't always there to buy, half the time was just window shopping, as my dad probably saw it as a cheap activity to get us out of the house for a little bit so my mom could have some peace and quiet. 

But the times when my dad said we could pick out 1 thing under $5-$10 were the best.  Felt like I'd spend 30 minutes digging through all the GI Joe figures, and as a kid it felt like the rack went 20 deep (even though it was probably more like 4-5), had to look through them all, couldn't risk making a decision without knowing every single figure that was available there (and always hoping to find some out-of-print figure buried deep in the rack).

Then I'd spend 10 minutes looking through the Transformers, then 10 minutes over to Legos.  And of course spent a few minutes looking at the toys I didn't have any of, but still looked cool and would love to have: Rambo, Robocop, Karate Kid, Ninja Turtles, Thunder Cats, Ghostbusters, etc.  Then usually always back to GI Joe again.

After an hour, I'd have narrowed my choices down to 3-4 possibilities, always tried to unsuccessfully bargain with my dad to let me get 2 things.  Nothing quite like the pressure of my dad saying, "if you don't have something picked out in the next 2 minutes, you're going home with nothing."

And then there was the dream of winning that shopping spree from Nickelodeon or some cereal company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UgZt6ShYU

Disappointed my future kids may never get to experience this on the level that was Toys R Us.  That toy aisle at Wal-Mart or Target just ain't going to cut it.

This absolutely nails the experience.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 04:51:31 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
This thread just brought me back to watching the episode of Rugrats where Tommy and Chuckie decide it's a good idea to ditch their parents and live in the Toy Store.  That was always one of my favorite episodes.  The big Gorillla was finally about to catch them and then, "HALT!  I AM REPTAR!"

For whatever reason, the enjoyment of reliving that memory was significantly better than reliving my 1 or 2 very brief Toys R Us experiences (and that's saying a lot).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale