Author Topic: RIP Toys R Us  (Read 6289 times)

Re: RIP Toys R Us
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 12:56:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm assuming this liquidation is just Brick and Mortar and this brand will live on in name/web.

Any chance they’ll be able to compete with Amazon there?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 02:04:27 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I worked at a Toys R Us for one summer when I was 17. Overall pretty cool job. Maybe that's just the nostalgia talking...

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 02:25:57 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Yeah this is really sad.  I don't remember the one time we went to Disney, but I still remember the feeling of going to and shopping at a Toys R Us in the 80's and early 90's.  And to a lesser degree, Kay Bee Toys. 

Online shopping obviously has its advantages, but being able to shop at Toys R Us was superior in showing you what else is available in the section you like, and in some cases even interact in person.

Kay Bee Toys were the ones in malls right? Sad that old fashioned toy stores are dying out..

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yeah this is really sad.  I don't remember the one time we went to Disney, but I still remember the feeling of going to and shopping at a Toys R Us in the 80's and early 90's.  And to a lesser degree, Kay Bee Toys. 

Online shopping obviously has its advantages, but being able to shop at Toys R Us was superior in showing you what else is available in the section you like, and in some cases even interact in person.

Kay Bee Toys were the ones in malls right? Sad that old fashioned toy stores are dying out..

Man, I don't know how many times I dragged my mom into the KayBee at the Greendale Mall.

Just up the stairs from the Dream Machine.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I remember at the beginning of the video game craze going there to find new Atari 2600 gaming cartridges.

Life changes...memories are precious.

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 03:12:11 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Man, I don't know how many times I dragged my mom into the KayBee at the Greendale Mall.

Just up the stairs from the Dream Machine.

o wow, i forgot about KB Toys, I remember growing up in Boston, one of my favorite toy store was fao schwarz, which the giant teddy bear is now in front of Tufts.

i thought it was a long time coming, at least in my knowledge, most if not all Toys R Us has already been closed, and i thought they filed for bankruptcy a long long time ago, also kind of hard for them to keep up in the digital age where kids prefers ipads over physical toys, much more different than when we were kids

just me guessing

The previous plan was to close about 20% of US stores, many of them standalone Babies R Us outlets.  They were then going through the bankruptcy process, hoping to restructure or to sell the brand. That plan seems to have failed, so they’re liquidating.

thanks for the clarification Roy!

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Any idea what happens to Baby's R Us? We are registered there and have a bunch of gift cards from the baby shower. Maybe we'll find some crazy discounts?
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 03:19:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Any idea what happens to Baby's R Us? We are registered there and have a bunch of gift cards from the baby shower. Maybe we'll find some crazy discounts?
they are closing.  better use those cards.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Yeah back in the 80's I was just blown away by all the stuff there. "My" store was the Portsmouth NH outlet near Fox Run Mall. Mountains of Transformers and Masters of the Universe action figures. Makes me sad remembering it actually.

Then a decade later my mind was blown away again as I played Mario 64 for the first time at a kiosk there.

Come to think of it the mall is also a pale imitation of itself. No more packed bookstores, no more video stores with every film under the sun, no more KayBee Toys, the place where I bought a Virtual Boy and a bunch of games on clearance for 50 bucks (that stuff is worth a fortune today ironically).

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
There was always something about physically shopping and browsing through piles of items that was pleasing.

That sense of discovery when you find that lone rare item at the bottom of the bin, or that super-cool action figure at the back of the rack that no other store had in stock.

I still get that vaguely nostalgic feeling at Home Depot sometimes, of all places. Sometimes I will just wander around and browse.

Other places not so much, they all feel soulless for some reason. Maybe because most of them sell foreign-made junk now? Or maybe because the employees seem so run down. Like the "greeters" at Walmart who really are just there to remind you when you come in that they will be checking your bags to make sure you're not stealing anything on the way out.

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 06:43:01 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
There was always something about physically shopping and browsing through piles of items that was pleasing.

That sense of discovery when you find that lone rare item at the bottom of the bin, or that super-cool action figure at the back of the rack that no other store had in stock.

I still get that vaguely nostalgic feeling at Home Depot sometimes, of all places. Sometimes I will just wander around and browse.

Other places not so much, they all feel soulless for some reason. Maybe because most of them sell foreign-made junk now? Or maybe because the employees seem so run down. Like the "greeters" at Walmart who really are just there to remind you when you come in that they will be checking your bags to make sure you're not stealing anything on the way out.
I like my Walmart.  The greeters are pretty good.  One of them has a great voice.  His "Welcome to Walmart" carries quite well.  The only time I get checked is if I have an unbagged item. 

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 07:00:55 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
It is sad to see old companies not evolve in the digital age. I remember the store fondly from my childhood but they did not adapt to the online era in any manner that was memorable. They had a great domain name and a once great brand, they should have used it at a much higher level. I dont remember ever seeing any form of online advertising from them.

Adapt, and Evolve or get left behind.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 07:06:49 PM »

Offline filmexec

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
I will miss walking through the store with my Grandkids and seeing them go crazy! LOL!

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Support your local toy stores if you want them around. That's the take home here.

While thats true, the issue is Toy R Us prices were much higher than other stores. I don't know how many times I went in and could save 5 bucks or more on something. You can say it's only 5 bucks, but you do that enough times it adds up. Or if you are a collector and you can save 20 or 30 bucks on a series, you go else wheres.

It was always weird to me they were a toy store yet sold them at higher prices like no one else had them. I'm sure when they first started they could get away with that, no internet, less competition. So them not adjusting to the times and market is really on them. When they did a Star Wars even for the new line, that had jack squat at our local store. Target had more.

Plus KB Toy was always better. :P

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Support your local toy stores if you want them around. That's the take home here.

While thats true, the issue is Toy R Us prices were much higher than other stores. I don't know how many times I went in and could save 5 bucks or more on something. You can say it's only 5 bucks, but you do that enough times it adds up. Or if you are a collector and you can save 20 or 30 bucks on a series, you go else wheres.

It was always weird to me they were a toy store yet sold them at higher prices like no one else had them. I'm sure when they first started they could get away with that, no internet, less competition. So them not adjusting to the times and market is really on them. When they did a Star Wars even for the new line, that had jack squat at our local store. Target had more.

Plus KB Toy was always better. :P

This so much.

Only thing TRU ever did right was giving me 1k worth of free toys (my choice) for an interview when I was a kid (I did a horrible job btw)!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)