Author Topic: Wizards (38-30) at Celtics (46-21) Game #68 3/14/18  (Read 29245 times)

Wizards (38-30) at Celtics (46-21) Game #68 3/14/18
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:03:32 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Wizards (38-30) at Boston Celtics (46-21)
Regular Season Game #68, Home Game #36
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
8:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN, NBCSB
Radio: Sports Hub 98.5, WFED 1500 AM
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Shane Larkin vs Thomas Satoransky

Shooting Guard

vs
Terry Rozier vs Bradley Beal

Small Forward
vs  
Jayson Tatum vs Otto Porter, Jr

Power Forward
  vs 
Marcus Morris vs Markieff Morris

Center
vs
Aron Baynes vs Marcin Gortat 

Celtics Reserves

Guerschon Yabusele
Semi Ojeleye
Greg Monroe
Kadeem Allen
Abdel Nader

Injuries
Al Horford (illness) out
Jaylen Brown (concussion)  out
Marcus Smart (thumb)  out
Gordon Hayward (ankle)  out
Daniel Theis (knee)  out
Kyrie Irving (knee) out
Shane Larkin (knee) limited minutes
Jabari Bird (back) questionable
Jayson Tatum (lower back tightness)  probable
Two Way Players
Kadeem Allen
Jabari Bird

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Wizards Reserves
Tim Frazier
Ian Mahinmi
Jodie Meeks
Kelly Oubre, Jr
Mike Scott
Ramon Sessions
Jason Smith

Injuries
Chris McCullough (G-League)  out 
John Wall (knee)  out

Two Way Players
Devin Robinson

Head Coach

Scott Brooks 

Game Notes
The Celtics and Wizards meet for the third of 4 regular season games this season.  They will meet once more in Washington on April 10.  With this game,  This is the 3rd season in a row that they have played 4 times in the regular season.  They are 1-1 so far with the Wizards winning 111-103 on Christmas Day in Boston and the Celtics winning 110-104 in OT on February 8 in Washington. 

All 4 games this season are set for national TV coverage.  I'm sure the reason for all the national TV appearances of these games is that they were hoping for a continuation of the heated rivalry that was brewing last season.   However there are just 4 Celtics left from that team and it hasn't been near as heated as it was last season.   There is the added wrinkle of the Morris twins playing against each other this season with Marcus on the Celtics and Markieff on the Wizards. 

The Celtics are 6-4 in their last 10 games and are looking to get back on track after losing their last game to the Pacers.  The Celtics are 23-12 at home.  The Wizards are 4-6 in their last 10 games and 19-15 on the road.  They are playing in the second of back to back games having lost a tough game against the Wolves on Tuesday night. All their starters except Gortat played over 30 minutes in that game.  They are 5-6 so far on the second night of back to back games.

The Celtics are in second place in the East and have fallen to 4 games behind the Toronto Raptors, who just keep winning.  They are also 7 games ahead of the 3rd place Indiana Pacers.  It would seem that they will remain in 2nd place when the playoffs roll around.  The Wizards are 5th, just half a game behind the Cavaliers(4th).  They are 1 game out of 3rd and 1 game ahead of Philly, who are in 6th. 

The Wizards have just John Wall (knee) on the injured list.  He participated in an extensive workout with the Wizards on Tuesday,  but is expected to miss this game.   The Celtics have been hard hit with injuries this week.  Jaylen Brown (concussion), Gordon Hayward (ankle), Daniel Theis (knee), Kyrie Irving (knee), Al Horford (illness), and Marcus Smart (thumb) are all out.    Wednesday morning Jayson Tatum was added to the list with lower back tightness but is listed as probable. 

The Celtics have called up Guerschon Yabusele from the Red Claws along with Kadeem Allen, who is one of their 2 way players.  Jabari Bird, the other two way player has been out with a back injury and is questionable for this game.   I'm not sure at all who will start other than Tatum and Baynes with 3 of the Celtics regular starters either out or questionable. 

I originally guessed that Rozier would start at point and opted to list Nader at shooting guard rather than Larkin because Nader is 6'6 while Larkin is 5'11 and the Wizards backcourt players are 6'5" and 6'7".  But thinking about it,  Shane Larkin may start at the point and Rozier at shooting guard to cover Beal.   I'm also guessing that Marcus Morris will start opposite his twin brother at power forward. 

vs  
Jayson Tatum vs Otto Porter, Jr
Porter has had some big games against the Celtics and is averaging 15 points, 6.4 rebounds, and 2.1 assists.  Jayson is going to need to step up his game with all of the injuries.  He will not only need to slow down Porter on defense but will also need to add to his offense to help make up for the injuries. 

vs
Abdel Nader vs Bradley Beal
It's just a guess that Nader will start and if he does, I would expect Rozier to be covering Beal on defense rather than Nader.  Beal is averaging 23.2 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 4.6 assists.  He has picked up his game with Wall being out and is a tough player to cover. 

Honorable Mention
Marcus Morris vs Markieff Morris
Assuming that Al will miss this game since he was unable to practice due to illness, this will be a matchup of twin brothers.  Markieff is averaging 11.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game this season.  Of course, if Al his healthy and able to start, he will be matched up against Markieff. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtics need to make defense a priority.   Defense wins games.   The Wizards are averaging 107.2 points per game (11th).  The Celtics are averaging 104.4 points per game (20th).   However, they will be find scoring hard to come by with all the injuries to key players.  The Celtics can't depend on winning a shoot out with the Wizards and so they have to play tough defense to stop the Wizards from scoring.  But even then they will miss two of their better defenders in Marcus Smart and Daniel Theis. 

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team from start to finish.  They need to be aggressive in going to the hoop, in crashing the boards, in fighting for loose balls and in running the court.  They also have to be more aggressive on defense.  They have to be the team that wants it more.  If the Celtics want to get a win in this game,  they have to be more aggressive than the Wizards.  Their only hope is to play harder than their opponents. 

Rebound -  The Celtics are averaging 44.3 rebounds per game while the Wizards are averaging 43.0 rebounds per game.   The Celtics have to put out the extra effort to grab rebounds and match or exceed the Wizards efforts on the boards if they want to get a win in this game.

Take Care of the Ball - The Celtics need to move the ball to find the open man and to keep the Wizards running.  However, they have to make careful passes.  If they get careless and turn the ball over,  the Wizards will make them pay as they average 17 points off turnovers.  The Celtics can't afford to give the Wizards extra points off of turnovers. 

X-Factors
Next Man Up - The Celtics are missing a ridiculous number of players and so the player that are healthy and on the court will have to step up and give 120%.  They need to make up for both key offensive and defensive players who are injured.   The Celtics are going to need a lot from the vets playing Morris, Rozier, Monroe, Larkin and Baynes and also from the 5 rookies that make up the rest of the rotation. 

Wizards Back to Back - About the only thing that the Celtics have going for them is that the Wizards played a tough game vs the Timberwolves on Tuesday night.  Their starters, other than Marcin Gortat, played over 30 minutes.  The Celtics have had off since Sunday and will need to run the Wizards from start to finish and maybe they can wear them down. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:19:49 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Wizards (38-30) at Celtics (46-21) Game #68 3/14/18
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:06:42 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  deepgreenventricle  for being the first to post in the game thread!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!! 

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:11:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Way to go FLC!!! ;D Hard to feel good about a game that has Abdel Nader in the proposed starting line-up, but should be fun to see Tatum and Rozier let loose!

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:12:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Not a big deal, but Jaylen Brown is considered "out" as well. Let's go Celtics!

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:45:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Shaq and Sheed return

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:48:19 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston will be lucky to keep within 15 points. Will be surprised if they score more than 80 points

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 10:52:56 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Boston will be lucky to keep within 15 points. Will be surprised if they score more than 80 points

Boston will win by 15 and score 115. 

When did Celtics fans become such defeatist losers?

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:57 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Boston will win by 15 and score 115. 

When did Celtics fans become such defeatist losers?

When they are missing 5 main players and having to play G League level players like Semi, Nader, etc...

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:14:50 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Put in Mark Blount

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 11:16:55 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Never count this team out. Remember when the 2013-14 Celtics beat the reigning champ, Lebron and the Heat?

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 11:17:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
first, what the heck are those glass/cup things supposed to be???

second, what the heck is that starting line up for the celtics supposed to be???  :P

man, that line up for the celtics makes me want to start drinking even if i only have bizarre little glass/cup thingys to hold the alcohol. sigh.

what the heck, a real, starter quality tp for flc for her real, starter quality game thread.

oh, and gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo celtics....i guess.  :-\
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
first, what the heck are those glass/cup things supposed to be???

second, what the heck is that starting line up for the celtics supposed to be???  :P

man, that line up for the celtics makes me want to start drinking even if i only have bizarre little glass/cup thingys to hold the alcohol. sigh.

what the heck, a real, starter quality tp for flc for her real, starter quality game thread.

oh, and gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo celtics....i guess.  :-\

They are made by Tervis. I think they are like goblet/wine glasses and were an early model. They now have actual wine glasses lol I love Tervis as they are LIFETIME Warranty..................anyway

GO CELTICS' RESERVES/BENCH/ROOKIES/MOOSE!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 09:13:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i bet peoples here  don't think Celtics can win this game .

Wizards think this too.

Thats why Celtics win.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:56:32 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
If we can win this one it will be a miracle. I am hoping for miracles.

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I like how Shane Larkin is mentioned as both a starter and a reserve, while he's also on minutes restriction. Tells you all you need to know about how laughably bad the injury situation is...

Brad Stevens should be handed the COY award at the end of the game if we somehow manage to win this.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...