Author Topic: Is Charlotte most depressing NBA situation?  (Read 3566 times)

Re: Is Charlotte most depressing NBA situation?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Judging by the Memphis-Charlotte score the other day I might have to think about making Memphis the most depressing situation in the NBA. Loser of like 29 of 30. Paying a guy over $30 million a year and he isn't even a top 10 player at his position. Losing games by 60 points. Ownership in flux. Best player is 33 years old and unsatisified with team. Franchise is prime candidate to relocate.

Thats pretty depressing.

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2018, 08:10:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Judging by the Memphis-Charlotte score the other day I might have to think about making Memphis the most depressing situation in the NBA. Loser of like 29 of 30. Paying a guy over $30 million a year and he isn't even a top 10 player at his position. Losing games by 60 points. Ownership in flux. Best player is 33 years old and unsatisified with team. Franchise is prime candidate to relocate.

Thats pretty depressing.

Yeah, Memphis is in a bad way right now.

I suppose if Conley comes back healthy next season, and Gasol doesn't decline any further there is still hope, but that hope seems more tied to their ability to possibly trade those two players for some decent rebuilding pieces.

And the fact that Memphis has never really been a great NBA market, really makes it probably the worst situation. I won't be surprised at all if the Grizzlies are calling Seattle home soon.

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
People on here have mentioned Sacramento, Memphis and Charlotte.

But what about Detroit? Seems like they've honestly underachieved for a while now, and even after making that trade for Griffin (and giving up all that), they are at a pretty distant 9th seed and I'm not sure there is another way for them to improve drastically going forward (considering the picks they've traded and they'd likely need to move contracts just to add others, which would be difficult).

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 09:06:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

But what about Detroit? Seems like they've honestly underachieved for a while now, and even after making that trade for Griffin (and giving up all that), they are at a pretty distant 9th seed and I'm not sure there is another way for them to improve drastically going forward (considering the picks they've traded and they'd likely need to move contracts just to add others, which would be difficult).
Detroit is in a place that lots of poorly managed teams get to, mediocre purgatory. Denver, Detroit, Indiana, Washington, New York. Always not good enough but never bottoming out. That's depressing but as depressing as having horrid fanbases? Horrid ownership or location issues? Decades of mismanagement and not having winning records? Not having any chance at getting a possible superstar or not having one or having one and never winning?

I don't know. I think Sacramento is probably the most depressing. Brooklyn is and has been massively depressing. Orlando has been awful forever even though they get a great draft pick every year. Memphis looks like things coukd be horrible for years.

Then I think those mediocre teams like Charlotte, Detroit,New York, Denver, etc. are all behind them.

Now thereare some bad bad teams tanking but I have faith they could be good pretty soon, like Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, the Lakers.

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
In before Willy Hernangomez becomes an above average C and single-handedly saves the city of Charlotte.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:13:55 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 06:17:45 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
MJ as your owner and all those bad picks, yep it is bad.
I'm still mad we didn't get Larry Bird as our owner.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Detroit wasn't in a great spot before trading for Blake. Their star player was/is Drummond, and while he was getting better, the league changed to favor the stretch bigs. It's a weird way for a star to lose value. Anyway, they brought in Ron Jeremy to duplicate the early ECF Howard Orlando teams, and somehow the team ended up with non-3pt shooters, which was they key to building around a big man.  They were in rough shape before. The Griffin trade just seemed desperate; he will never be worth that contract, and doesn't help their spacing with Drummond.

I've never seen a team with a reasonable plan have it go so wretchedly wrong.

Fanbase is nuts though. Beats Memphis.

I half expected the Griz to package Conley and Gasol to Cleveland for an IT/Thompson/filled/picks package so Cleveland could contend and Memphis rebuild, but whatever.

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Sacramento

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2018, 08:56:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

And GM. And coach, lol ;D. Ugh.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:03:19 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Larry was actually a really good coach.  He just didn't have the desire to keep doing it.

And while he's been a rather average GM, he hasn't been half as bad as Magic or MJ.

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 09:18:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Larry was actually a really good coach.  He just didn't have the desire to keep doing it.

And while he's been a rather average GM, he hasn't been half as bad as Magic or MJ.

Can we at least bring him back to be a consultant for the draft? Please, lol? I know that he did make some mistakes, but man, he built a contender with the highest pick being 10 in Paul George, who became another classic small school superstar. Had Bird been able to get one of San Antonio's firsts in 2011 in the deal for Leonard and taken Jimmy Butler, I mean, just wow. Stephenson, Butler, and George on the same team = dynasty. He was so tantalizingly close, and I'm sure that that will always bother him. Ugh. Still, he's done more with less than anybody, imo, and especially Ainge, imo. Come on, Danny - it's time for Bird to come home :).

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Can we at least bring him back to be a consultant for the draft? Please, lol? I know that he did make some mistakes, but man, he built a contender with the highest pick being 10 in Paul George, who became another classic small school superstar. Had Bird been able to get one of San Antonio's firsts in 2011 in the deal for Leonard and taken Jimmy Butler, I mean, just wow. Stephenson, Butler, and George on the same team = dynasty. He was so tantalizingly close, and I'm sure that that will always bother him. Ugh. Still, he's done more with less than anybody, imo, and especially Ainge, imo. Come on, Danny - it's time for Bird to come home :).

my understanding was that he has already been offered a job here over the past few years and he declined