Author Topic: Is Charlotte most depressing NBA situation?  (Read 3575 times)

Is Charlotte most depressing NBA situation?
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:02:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
They are dominated by Vets (Howard, Batum, Walker, Williams)
Youngish guys with seemingly no upside (Kaminsky, MCW, MKG, Zeller)
and their round pick looks pretty bad (Monk). Barring some lottery magic they are going to get a later lottery pick in what some project to be a really good draft. Where do they go from here? That roster is such a mess!

Re: Is Charlotte most depressing NBA situation?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
That franchise has been nothing short of a disaster since coming back to the NBA.  3 playoff appearances in 14 years.  Never advancing past the first round.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Yeah I don't get their plan... They should've done the tough thing, and traded Walker to the Knicks, maybe see if the Blazers would've been interested in Howard as their starting center.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 07:19:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Danny tried to set them up in a good postion.  They turned down a warchest .    ::)

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Outside of Walker, they have a collection of useful but not special players who are overpaid on long-term contracts.

The best scenario I came up for them was trading Kemba and Batum to the Clippers for Gallinari, Boban, and Beverley along with Detroit's first rounder.

They are pretty depressing, but I don't think anyone will ever top Sacramento for most depressing NBA situation.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:38:20 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Outside of Walker, they have a collection of useful but not special players who are overpaid on long-term contracts.

The best scenario I came up for them was trading Kemba and Batum to the Clippers for Gallinari, Boban, and Beverley along with Detroit's first rounder.

They are pretty depressing, but I don't think anyone will ever top Sacramento for most depressing NBA situation.

Just checked.  Bobcats/Hornets actually have more playoff appearances since coming into the  league in '04-05 than the Kings.  3-2.

That's real depressing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:52:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think the best thing would be to see if the Blazers are interested in a Batum re-union. I think the Blazers would gladly give up 2 extra second rounders, or maybe a protected first round pick for Batum in exchange of Evan Turner. Obviously, they should add some extra picks to sweeten the deal, but I could see this happening in the future, plus Batum loves Portland.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think the best thing would be to see if the Blazers are interested in a Batum re-union. I think the Blazers would gladly give up 2 extra second rounders, or maybe a protected first round pick for Batum in exchange of Evan Turner. Obviously, they should add some extra picks to sweeten the deal, but I could see this happening in the future, plus Batum loves Portland.

Not a bad idea on paper but I think Portland will be trying to avoid the tax this off-season since they'll be re-signing Nurkic, so it's more likely in my mind that they will try to dump ET instead of trade him for an expensive upgrade. Batum is better than Turner but his contract is worse for the team long-term.

Batum's contract is so bad that I don't even think Charlotte would request second-rounders. They'd just want Batum off their payroll!

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think it's SO bad, though it could get a lot worse if Kemba leaves in free agency in a year or two when his contract is up.

Kemba Walker and Dwight Howard (yes, even now) isnt' the worst basis for a decent playoff team, they just need pieces that actually work well around them.

They way overpaid Batum, whose jumper has never really become consistent.  MKG doesn't appear to be developing into more than a bench hustle guy.  Kaminsky is an OK reserve big but nothing more. 

Jeremy Lamb is an OK scorer to have off the bench, but won't change your life.  Cody Zeller can't stay healthy and he's a limited player in today's league.

If you had Kemba, Dwight Howard, and a bunch of solid 2-3-4 type players who can shoot a bit, pass a bit, and defend a bit, I could see that working.  Provided everybody stayed reasonably healthy. 

They've really been hurt by their inability to identify above average players in the draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It's not pretty in Charlotte, but watching an Atlanta game is also a special experience.  An already dead fanbase has all but disappeared here in GA, and it has gotten worse with UGA's rise to top.  Memphis is also difficult to watch; Chandler Parson's injuries have set them back for years to come, and they've just chosen to ride it out with Gasol.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:42:49 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I really have no idea why they are this bad.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 09:14:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Worst situation in the league.  Other teams who are horrible at least know where they stand and have gone young.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This from someone who thinks the Nets have a very good roster.

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 10:05:16 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
best thing they could do is move Kidd-gilchrist.  Get out of the contract and his terrible play.  His entire game was surrounded by his elevated defensive prowess, now he doesn't.  No offense and now no defense are hard to justify.  Maybe he could bounce back somewhere else.

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:54 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

It's been a long time since Howard was a winning basketball player.  That's certainly part of it.